Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my LS2 Firebird on Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by a10beav
Yea, I know. I don't even want to risk wrecking my car, so I gave myself sanity checks every now and then.

I have sub-frame connectors and tubular K-member, A-Arms, upper and lower panhard rods; also, a strut tower brace. Bilstein shocks with Eibach Pro springs. Larger sway bars are on as well.

Baer 13" Track Plus brakes in front and 13" Tracks in back, both slotted and drilled. It also has the Hydroboost brake system.

I don't have any real weight reduction done to it, the tubular suspension parts may have saved some weight. I've added weight though with Second Skin in the interior, a 10" sub and amplifier in the trunk. I moved the battery to the trunk to help with weight distribution though.
Nice, I would talk to sam strano if I were you, he could set you up with a killer setup!
stranoparts.com
You for sure need some better shocks to control all the unsprung weight, and more rebound for those springs.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
There's a lady at the local bar (Pisten Klaus?) nicknamed "The Queen of the Ring" and when I was there she'd take passengers to show the line. I think her name was Sabine Schmidt.
You mean this woman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4a1rc4Xjk

I think I'm in love!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Your lucky as hell, i think ever car guy atleast wants one lap on that thing. I would love to do one lap in my car, then another lap on something like the C6R.
-Joel
Old 11-29-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cam80
You mean this woman?

I think I'm in love!
That's her, guess I misspelled her name...it's been a few years.

Amazing, no?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS: consider turning into the corners a tad later...looks like you're turning in early and apexing early, which forces you to the outside of the track on corner exit.
Keep in mind he only had four laps on this huge 13 mile long track; no way to learn the proper lines in that short a time. Certainly was off line in many corners which looked like un-familiarity to me.

Andy1
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the tips! I currently have a PST 32 mm sway bar in front and I think it's solid. I'm not too crazy about the Eibach springs, they're supposed to be progressive rate, but they are very stiff on the street.

That video link was taken down, but I think I know who you're talking about. She claimed she could drive anything around the Ring in 10 sec or less, so the show Top Gear put her to the test. They gave her a utility van! She almost made it too, just over 10 min I think.

I hope to get to the track more next summer and I know a guy who has bought yearly passes for the past few years. I'm going to try and ride with him and follow him around to learn the track. It'll be fun at least!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by a10beav
It was 9 min 48 sec. Not setting any records, but still fun!
I say that's not a bad time at all considering you never drove it before, just knowing the track would bring that down alot.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andy1
Keep in mind he only had four laps on this huge 13 mile long track; no way to learn the proper lines in that short a time. Certainly was off line in many corners which looked like un-familiarity to me.

Andy1
Yup, I'm not criticizing him and I hope it didn't come across that way.

Just offering feedback and hoping it might shave some time off his lap next go-round.

An instructor I had on board years ago said his strategy for learning a new track was to late-apex every turn the first few laps.

Enter the turn from the far side of the track, clip a late apex, which allows the steering to unwind and the gas to be applied sooner.

I use a super-late apex when I'm passing on corner exit...dog the lead car right up to corner entry, he'll hog the line and apex early every time. That allows me to apex late and pass him on the inside at the corner exit, while he's only at part throttle and still has his steering cranked trying not to go off-track.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

PS: consider turning into the corners a tad later...looks like you're turning in early and apexing early, which forces you to the outside of the track on corner exit.
Dude... I'm jelous. I'd give my wife to do that. Well.....Maybe not my wife, but I'd give one of my kids and maybe the cat.

Your lines could use some work. Don't know if you noticed but after the Pourche passed you and while you had him in sight you were driving a LOT better. You seemed to be following his lines which were a bit better. It better to go in high and come out low to get on the gas earlier than to apex too early and end up double apexing the turn.

Re'
Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

lines shmines...you lived your dream!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black87c4
I say that's not a bad time at all considering you never drove it before, just knowing the track would bring that down alot.
Thanks Maybe I need to get a video game to try and learn the track!

Yup, I'm not criticizing him and I hope it didn't come across that way.

Just offering feedback and hoping it might shave some time off his lap next go-round.

An instructor I had on board years ago said his strategy for learning a new track was to late-apex every turn the first few laps.

Enter the turn from the far side of the track, clip a late apex, which allows the steering to unwind and the gas to be applied sooner.

I use a super-late apex when I'm passing on corner exit...dog the lead car right up to corner entry, he'll hog the line and apex early every time. That allows me to apex late and pass him on the inside at the corner exit, while he's only at part throttle and still has his steering cranked trying not to go off-track.
No sweat, I understood what you meant. I'll try to remember that tip the next time I get on a track.

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Dude... I'm jelous. I'd give my wife to do that. Well.....Maybe not my wife, but I'd give one of my kids and maybe the cat.

Your lines could use some work. Don't know if you noticed but after the Pourche passed you and while you had him in sight you were driving a LOT better. You seemed to be following his lines which were a bit better. It better to go in high and come out low to get on the gas earlier than to apex too early and end up double apexing the turn.

Re'
Too funny man!

I did try and follow guys a few times, but I didn't want to exceed my limits either. I'm a total novice on tracks, this was only my second trip ever
My first time is still a bad memory... I was at Firebird Raceway and I got overzealous on my 8th lap around the track. On the last turn onto the dragstrip, I accelerated earlier and when I drove over the concrete strip (for the drag race tree) the rear tires broke loose and I went into the wall. Total loss on my 2 month old '98 Formula WS6. I was absolutely heart broken! That scared me away from tracks for a long time. I actually went to Germany shortly after that and lived about 45 min from the Ring, but I never went.

Originally Posted by m6ttop
lines shmines...you lived your dream!
Amen!

I live about an hour from Hockenheim Ring and they are having tourist days the next 3 Sundays. The weather is crappy right now, but I may head out there if the weather clears up. The Firebid is in storage now, but I'll take my Z4 M Coupe. It has all season tires for the winter, so I'm not going to drive hard, I just want to have some more fun
Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

lucky bastard!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the vids, man!

Originally Posted by cam80
You mean this woman?

I think I'm in love!
"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by BBC Worldwide Ltd. "
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=a10beav;8218787]Thanks My first time is still a bad memory... I was at Firebird Raceway and I got overzealous on my 8th lap around the track. On the last turn onto the dragstrip, I accelerated earlier and when I drove over the concrete strip (for the drag race tree) the rear tires broke loose and I went into the wall. Total loss on my 2 month old '98 Formula WS6. I was absolutely heart broken! That scared me away from tracks for a long time. I actually went to Germany shortly after that and lived about 45 min from the Ring, but I never went.

QUOTE]

That's one of a couple of places on the old track where you don't want to get overzealous. Enough to ruin your day!

Andy1
Old 12-01-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, I learned that the hard way!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

hey a10, i dont mean to hyjack your thread but what are f-bods going for over there? i just found out friday im moving from illinois to spangdahlem germany, and thought maybe i would bring my 95 z28 and sell it over there, and bring my ls1 68 camaro and drive it.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pm'd you.

Quick Reply: my LS2 Firebird on Nurburgring