Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX in 87' Fox

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. It should run real tame with that cam and converter. Did you get Kooks to make to 1 7/8 headers just for you or do they sell them now?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Tame..? Wanna explain? No they sell them now...1 7/8" to 3 1/2" collector
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just saying that that cam will have great street manners and be fun to drive on the street. It's good to know that there is a 1 7/8 header out there for guys with 6.0+ motors...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah..but it will see the track more than anything..The heads I have on a buddy's 346 with a 224 with some 11.0's on the motor in his trans am..some I'm looking for some 10's on the motor..Yeah I just don't understand why they won't clear the steering shaft...
Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97'-lt1
The set screws helped..allowed me to actually get on the part coming down from the steering wheel but wouldn't fit still..so have some pics to send to kooks tomorrow to see what they say..Hopefully we can get something figured out asap..I've tried just about everything I can think of to get it to fit properly but cant seem to get anything to work..I've had the motor in and out in the last two nights about 3-4 times checking alignment, loosened the k member up trying to make sure I had it as far forward as I could get it..Kinda at a stop really, I could it get running probably but what good would that do me if it won't steer..haha..
might wanna try the spacers like we talked about
Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

It has 2 washers in between the plates and block on the mounts already, how much do you think I should add..I have some pics if you want to see them, I can email them to you to see what ya think..
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

It has 2 washers in between the plates and block on the mounts already, how much do you think I should add..I have some pics if you want to see them, I can email them to you to see what ya think..
mine has 3/8 spacers, and a flaming river rack(i saw in the pic it looks like you have the stock rack) not sure if that makes a difference??? when i got my car back from KOOKS i called george and told him about my steering shaft clearance problem and that the larger tube headers might have a problem when they start producing them...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah stock rack. You had the spacers in when you had the headers done correct..? I don't know if adding 3/8" spacers would help or not..I sent him some pics this morning of the problem, just waiting to hear back from him..
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah stock rack. You had the spacers in when you had the headers done correct..? I don't know if adding 3/8" spacers would help or not..I sent him some pics this morning of the problem, just waiting to hear back from him..
We are using a 5.0 tubular Kmember and modified stock f-body motor mounts with a 3/16 spacer. We have a little clearance problem with our flaming river shaft, but it looks like because of the angle of the front tube if we remove the spacers and lower the motor it will actually give us more clearance around the steering shaft. Also we are using offset rack bushing which lower the rack a touch.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GlennNo50
We are using a 5.0 tubular Kmember and modified stock f-body motor mounts with a 3/16 spacer. We have a little clearance problem with our flaming river shaft, but it looks like because of the angle of the front tube if we remove the spacers and lower the motor it will actually give us more clearance around the steering shaft. Also we are using offset rack bushing which lower the rack a touch.
My clearance issue is with the #7 primary, lowering the rack wouldn't help me any I think..I'm pretty sure it would make it worse..George is suppose to be calling me back after him and one of the owners review the pics I sent them this morning..This little problem is pretty much holding up my car from being completed by the weekend..
Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Well I talked to George a little bit ago, and we think we have figured out the issue. When they made the first set of headers off lt4malibu car, with the early design k member from aje, he had 3/8 spacers between the motor mounts and the engine due to the clearance issue between the oil pan and rack. So we are thinking that I will just need to add the spacers and it should clear, being as after I talked to AJE this morning the only changes they made to the kmember was moving the rack mounts down 3/4" meaning the position of the motor hasn't changed just the rack. So in thinking that all I should have to do is add some spacers. And George said if everything works out they will be having their machinist make some 3/8 spacers to sell with the kit and that they would send me a set..We will find out hopefully late tonight if it works..
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I talked to George a little bit ago, and we think we have figured out the issue. When they made the first set of headers off lt4malibu car, with the early design k member from aje, he had 3/8 spacers between the motor mounts and the engine due to the clearance issue between the oil pan and rack. So we are thinking that I will just need to add the spacers and it should clear, being as after I talked to AJE this morning the only changes they made to the kmember was moving the rack mounts down 3/4" meaning the position of the motor hasn't changed just the rack. So in thinking that all I should have to do is add some spacers. And George said if everything works out they will be having their machinist make some 3/8 spacers to sell with the kit and that they would send me a set..We will find out hopefully late tonight if it works..

yeah they measured my spacers the day i picked the car up just incase they needed to make some. just put washers in, theyre cake to remove when you get the correct spacers from them.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Well spacers are a no go..still hitting on the #7 primary... George wanted to know, so looks like I will be calling him back in the morning...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Well I got the steering shaft to clear the primary, barely but it clears with no hitting. Thanks to lt4malibu for the idea of shimming the column. I went to put the TH400 and converter in Saturday, come to find out my stock flexplate wouldn't line up properly with the converter so I ended up robbing one off my brother's 98' motor and got it put on and torqued down last night..Will be putting the trans back in tonight along with the drive shaft, and starter. After that will leave the carb and throttle linkage, measuring for a belt connecting fuel line and line for pressure gauge, And lastly my favorite part, the wiring..
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Default Steering shaft clearance issues

Just a little input from our experiences. On our '91 Fox build, using a Lq4, Kooks headers, AJE k-member (purchased in March '08, 1st or 2nd build???) we used a stock steering shaft, cut the "rag joint" out and welded in a Moroso swivel joint (part number 80131). Using the polyurethane rack busings that came with the K-member, we had no clearance issues and did not have to use spacers between the mounts and block. I is definately a little difficult to install when the header is bolted up, but if you loosen the header bolts, it slides right in place. Now, keep in mind, the clearance between the steering shaft and header tube is all going to change depending on the mounting height of the transmission crossmember (ie. the lower the transmission crossmember, the less clearance you will have!)
Old 08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94Firehawk161
Just a little input from our experiences. On our '91 Fox build, using a Lq4, Kooks headers, AJE k-member (purchased in March '08, 1st or 2nd build???) we used a stock steering shaft, cut the "rag joint" out and welded in a Moroso swivel joint (part number 80131). Using the polyurethane rack busings that came with the K-member, we had no clearance issues and did not have to use spacers between the mounts and block. I is definately a little difficult to install when the header is bolted up, but if you loosen the header bolts, it slides right in place. Now, keep in mind, the clearance between the steering shaft and header tube is all going to change depending on the mounting height of the transmission crossmember (ie. the lower the transmission crossmember, the less clearance you will have!)
Did you have the 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primaries..? I finally got it to clear with a little rigging. Although I don't believe I should have had to use spacers like I did, but I was really receiving any help from Kooks about the problem..
Old 08-31-2008, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

It runs... Finally got some time to work on the car the last two days...got it started yesterday but was having some fuel issues. So adjusted the carb today and got her going still a little fat but she idles nicely at 700-900rpms.. Also got the hood back from the painter and got it mounted up..need to finish up a little wiring, hook up shifter cable and t-brake then I can take it for its first drive in about 8 months..Then to the exhaust shop sometime next week along with the alignment shop to be aligned and scaled..Will update with pics tomorrow hopefully..
Old 09-02-2008, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Well car is pretty much done minus exhaust and alignment and scaling. Took it for a spin around the block tonight..Plan to have it to the track in two weeks...as long as I can get into both shops by then. Here's a few pics, not the best will get some better daylight pictures once its completely done...

Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Looks really really good !!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks..Plan to repaint after this racing season is over...And the plan is to be at the track a week from this Friday..

Quick Reply: LSX in 87' Fox