TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you guys are vicious.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:26 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with LSXS10.

i had 3 bolt flanges welded on to my hooker headers so i didnt have to use the supplied slip fit collectors. im using some 3 bolt style dynomax collectors with O2 sensors. as soon as i get some cash i will be buying the new FAST dual sensor air/fuel meter.

Name:  weldedcollector.jpg
Views: 2380
Size:  112.9 KB

Old 01-08-2008, 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some guys want the carb setup for looks in an old vehicle, and some guys know how to tune a carb themselves, vs paying somebody else alot of money to tune thier setup. that's why i'd go carb'd on an ls motor...

Originally Posted by LSXS10
If its a daily driver stay injunked , opps i mean injected! If you dont want to waste hundreds of dollars on a tune every time you change something go with a carb, a jet kit and an A/F ratio gauge is all you need! , no need to pay someone for another tune. Im runnin the 6010 and a carb with factory coil packs remote mounted and have not had the first problem , last week it was 36 deg. here, two pumps hit the key and walk away... Runnin like a sewing machine... Just my OP....
Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
Why do you want to go to a carb? I think after having the fuel injection on it, you will be less than impressed.
did you guys see the articles Hot Rod Magazine did on the 6.0 build? they actually got more out of it with the Vic jr intake/carb than they did with the fuel injection. and if i remember correctly, it was even better when they started modding...and the curves looked better than injection.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Default LS1 Distributor

I'm a little late but I think I also agree with LSXS10. Also, his numbers speak for themselves. I think I would use the MSD system though, as it looks much simpler and also takes up less room up front. In my case, ('34 Ford-6.0 LS2), room up front is a major issue. The carb set-up is starting to look much better to me also! By the way, DCX, that is a great looking engine. Where did you get the crankcase breather set-up?? Did you make it yourself??
Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

nope. wegner motorsports makes it. it was only $60. i think i will work out great. im also running a 90* pcv fitting from the passenger valve cover to the rear of the carb.

http://s41657.sites80.storefront-hos...l.aspx?ID=3287

i was checking out the dyno forum when i put my engine together. wonder what type of numbers it will put down. running a MS3, TSP ported ls6 heads, victor jr, asp crank pulley, 1 3/4 hookers, and full exhaust. hope it makes at least 440 to the wheels.

also, since you are running an ls2, make sure you get the msd box that reads the 58x wheel. its a tad more than the ls1 unit. summit has the ls1 box pictured. part number is 6012

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Really guys, I really like the 6010 msd and the victor jr, i have a 750 holley with a little tuning and it runs great plus it has perfect street manners, it does take a lil tuning.......But its simple and efficent...OH and did i mention alot cheaper
Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

LSXS10

are you running the map? i dont plan too. what does your tune look like? do you mind sending me a copy of it?

dcxshoexco@aol.com

i was told not to run more than 28* total.

im also running a 750, but its a mechanical secondary mighty demon. worked well on my old SBC right out of the box.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DCx
nope. wegner motorsports makes it. it was only $60. i think i will work out great. im also running a 90* pcv fitting from the passenger valve cover to the rear of the carb.

http://s41657.sites80.storefront-hos...l.aspx?ID=3287

i was checking out the dyno forum when i put my engine together. wonder what type of numbers it will put down. running a MS3, TSP ported ls6 heads, victor jr, asp crank pulley, 1 3/4 hookers, and full exhaust. hope it makes at least 440 to the wheels.

also, since you are running an ls2, make sure you get the msd box that reads the 58x wheel. its a tad more than the ls1 unit. summit has the ls1 box pictured. part number is 6012

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I was wondering with that cam do you have manual brakes or power brakes? I have power brakes and was wondering if im gonna have to run a vacuum reservoir with a big cam?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info about Wegners valley plate DCx. I guess I should have been a little more clear about the engine. It's a new 6.0, built as a 24x. It also has L92 heads and a mild Comp cam (222-234@.050). I bought it with the L76 intake and intended to put it in my '34, but after scratching my head for many days trying to figure out how to clear the radiator with the MAF and filter, I gave up! I can't speak for deuce4935 but you convinced me!! Last night I ordered the GM intake and the MSD 6010 box. Wish me luck!!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

While you LS2 guys are talking about carb manifolds.
Anyone know if Edelbrocks twin carb manifold (PN 20684, link below) will fit the LS2 based LS364 (440hp carb motor) or LS3 based LS376 (520hp carb motor). I cant get an answer from Edelbrock.
Gary
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...old_kits.shtml

Originally Posted by rojs234
Thanks for the info about Wegners valley plate DCx. I guess I should have been a little more clear about the engine. It's a new 6.0, built as a 24x. It also has L92 heads and a mild Comp cam (222-234@.050). I bought it with the L76 intake and intended to put it in my '34, but after scratching my head for many days trying to figure out how to clear the radiator with the MAF and filter, I gave up! I can't speak for deuce4935 but you convinced me!! Last night I ordered the GM intake and the MSD 6010 box. Wish me luck!!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DCx
LSXS10

are you running the map? i dont plan too. what does your tune look like? do you mind sending me a copy of it?

dcxshoexco@aol.com

i was told not to run more than 28* total.

im also running a 750, but its a mechanical secondary mighty demon. worked well on my old SBC right out of the box.
Nope , not runnin the map. My motor is 10.1:1 and on 93 octane i run 32 total and it runs the best there. my map starts at 14@ 0 rpm ,then my next dot is 32@ 3000, from there i ramp it back down to 28@ 6800... Some may disagree, but it works I do vary some on my tune for wheather , track, ect....If im doing alot of street driving i tone it down a lil 30 degre total and bring it in a lil slower ....
Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

I was wondering with that cam do you have manual brakes or power brakes? I have power brakes and was wondering if im gonna have to run a vacuum reservoir with a big cam?
i had a massive solid roller cam in my sbc that only pulled 6in of vacuum at idle. it forced me to use a hydroboost (maybe not but it looks cool!) ever since, i would not recommend anything else. love my hydro.

LSXS10

thanks for the advice! never though of only plotting two points for a smooth ramp. i had mine set up at 12* initial and 28* total at 3000rpm. with a steady plotted increase. im an idiot for thinking i needed to plot all 6 points.

Last night I ordered the GM intake and the MSD 6010 box. Wish me luck!!
i looked into the GM intake and didnt like the design. it uses a flat gasket like a typical small block would. the victor uses the OEM rubber port seals. plus if you wanted edelbrock sells a mounting bracket for the ignition and map sensor. the edelbrock rpm manifold has a casting to mount the box. the victor uses a bracket that bolts between the #8 intake runner. just food for thought. also the edelbrock is cheaper, no? $285 from summit. i emailed edelbrock a while ago, they said they have the brackets, just give them a call. i ended up mounting my box inside the cab. i took the weatherpack apart routed the wires through a 1/2 hole in the firewall and then put the wires back in the pack.

jesus that quad intake is expensive! no way i would pay $779 for just the intake.

i dont know how much bottom end i already lost running my MS3 and victor intake, but the super victor does sound cool. it has larger ports and is 1'' taller. still steep at $519 when the standard victor is a steal at $285

Last edited by DCx; 01-09-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Launching!

The only time i use over three dots is when we go to a really slick track, then i just break up my ramp and bring it in later... about 5500 or so is full adv. then. Its the closest i need to be to ridin the dots!!! "the TC boxes" You can hook a rocket with those things
Old 01-10-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

IMO, twin 500cfm carbs is too much for anything but a very radical 5.7l LS1. But the higher hp LS2 and LS3 motors would make a greast match for a twin carb setup.
The price of the quad intake alone is pretty high. But check out the price of the package, intake, 2 crabs, linkage, fuel line, AND ingition module from SDPARTS. http://www.sdparts.com/product/E20684/DUALQUADKITLS1.aspx$1300. That's not a lot more than the single carb manifold, module and carb.
Now I just need to know if it will work on an LS2 or LS3 motor.
Gary
Originally Posted by DCx
i had a massive solid roller cam in my sbc that only pulled 6in of vacuum at idle. it forced me to use a hydroboost (maybe not but it looks cool!) ever since, i would not recommend anything else. love my hydro.

LSXS10

thanks for the advice! never though of only plotting two points for a smooth ramp. i had mine set up at 12* initial and 28* total at 3000rpm. with a steady plotted increase. im an idiot for thinking i needed to plot all 6 points.

i looked into the GM intake and didnt like the design. it uses a flat gasket like a typical small block would. the victor uses the OEM rubber port seals. plus if you wanted edelbrock sells a mounting bracket for the ignition and map sensor. the edelbrock rpm manifold has a casting to mount the box. the victor uses a bracket that bolts between the #8 intake runner. just food for thought. also the edelbrock is cheaper, no? $285 from summit. i emailed edelbrock a while ago, they said they have the brackets, just give them a call. i ended up mounting my box inside the cab. i took the weatherpack apart routed the wires through a 1/2 hole in the firewall and then put the wires back in the pack.

jesus that quad intake is expensive! no way i would pay $779 for just the intake.

i dont know how much bottom end i already lost running my MS3 and victor intake, but the super victor does sound cool. it has larger ports and is 1'' taller. still steep at $519 when the standard victor is a steal at $285
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

I am new to this forum stuff, and I'm a total DA about cumputers so I don't know how to do the Quote thing, but I would like to answer a couple of your posts. To garys68, in answer to your question about the heads: I have L92 heads which have different ports than LS2 heads (square). It is my understanding that Edelbrock's 2X4 manifold fits the cathedral type heads which would include the LS2's. Can't say about the others you mentioned, but it definately WON'T fit the L92's!! To DSx, again, I have L92 heads for which, to my knowledge, the only carb manifold available is the GM single plane. Actually, I would have preferred the Edelbrock RPM if it were available, as I have some experience with it on my other street-rod. To DCx and LSXs10: For what it's worth, both Car Craft and Hot Rod (Ken Duttweiler) have been saying, with their testing of the CARBED 6.0's, that they require more total advance than the factory type injection engines, as much as 35-36* total advance. I have no experience yet with my LS engine, (but I soon will!) but I have tweaked my other street-rod quite a bit, and this info seems to work really well on it, (FWITW). It is a carbed 340 Mopar, 10.5 to one, has Magum heads with similar combustion chambers to LS motors, 230-237@.050 cam, again, similar lift @.565. I run 35* total advance and as much as 50* vacuum advance (crankshaft*) I slow the vacuum advance way down so it can only achieve full vacuum advance under high vacuum such as cruising. I also run 18-20* at idle to help it idle nice and lopey. This is all with a 3310 Holley. It idles at 850 RPM in gear @ 11 inches of vacuum, doesn't ping and runs hard on pump gas. I almost forgot, it also does a good job with the power brakes. I think I can achieve similar results with my 6.0 LS. Sorry I went on so long.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

rojs234,
Thanks for the info!!!! I still have not got an answer from edelbrock.
These are the LS376 (520hp) heads from GMPP website:
P/N 12598594: LS3 rectangle port; as cast with 68cc chambers
And these are the LS364 (440hp):
P/N 12564825: Aluminum, symmetrical port (same as the LS6 heads)
So the dual carb manifold should fit only the LS1/2/6/364 head?
Dammit! I really wanted the LS3 dual carb setup.
Gary

Last edited by garys 68; 01-11-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

sorry i missed the part about the l92s.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

garys68
I guess we are getting a long ways off the original subject of the LS1 distributor, but I will try to answer your question about the Edelbrock 2x4, or for that matter, their other LS intakes, fitting which heads. The #12564825 is the part no. for the bare head with the casting no. 243. When it is used on the LS6 it comes with lite-wt. valves. This same casting, no. 243 is used on LS2's, including the 364/440 carbed engine. In spite of what some folks think, these heads all have solid stem regular wt. valves.They do have good valve springs. Any of the Edelbrock LS intakes will fit these heads. The other no. you gave, #12598594, I could not find on SDP or any other GM parts sites. However, the LS376/515 is based on the 6.2 LS3, and as far as I know, all of the 6.2 engines use the L92 heads with the casting no. ending in #5364. These have square or more correctly rectangle ports and will not fit any of the Edelbrock LS intakes. Sorry!! The only intake to my knowledge that fits these heads is a single plane 4B with GM#25534401.
Ron
Old 01-12-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

rojs234,
Yep, same info I'm getting. I got the LS3 head number from the GMPP website. I also found an article showing the LS3 heads, and they are the "square" L92 style. And yes, the carbed LS3 intake was developed just for the LS3 based motors. I was incorrect thinking it was the same as the LS364 GM single plane manifold.
But if you want to get back to distibutors, I saw a show on next years Busch Cup cars. Apparently they are using the LS based engine with the Ford distributor. I'm guessing the distributor tech will be adequate with that kind of background behind it. As for cost effectiveness, the distributor drive is only expensinve if you dont have to buy the 8 coils.
Anyway, great info on here, keep it up.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,159 Likes on 753 Posts

Distributors are costly to set up for the LSx family of engines, not worth it. I'm going 10.9 with a pump gas stock cube LS1 for cripes sakes.

Quick Reply: LS1 Distributor?