Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

garys68
This is great stuff! Keep it coming. You have a valid point about the coils Gary. If you were starting with a new engine and didn't have the harness and coils and computer, etc, which was true in my case, you're talking about some serious money. Then, you still have to buy the software to tune it or hire someone to do it. Not only that, but you still have to come up with a ,(in my case), different fuel tank, in tank fuel pump, and a return line fuel system. Also, a mail order tune won't cut it if you have anything but a stock engine. The only thing I can see wrong with the distributor set-up is the fact that it increases the length of the engine quite a bit according to pictures I've seen of it. I still agree with LSXS10 and DCx that the MSD 6010 or 6012 is the way to go on a street car.
Ron
Old 01-13-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

rojs345,
If I cant get the LS3 based 520hp motor in the next few weeks, I'm ordering the LS2 based 440hp motor. It comes with the coils, so I'll be ordering the MSD 58x relutor wheel module for an ignition. I'll probably use a 750cfm edelbrock carb on it, I already have one in my garage.
But DAMN, I think everyone would admit the dual crab, MSD ingnition setup would be great on that LS3 based motor.
Edelbrock, how about a little R & D work this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

garys68
It would make a great looking, and a fun engine! While your trying to get Edelbrock to build that 2x4 manifold for your LS3, see if you can also get them to build the RPM manifold for it or the L92 heads. I e-mailed them asking if there was any possibility, but I have yet to receive an answer!! In my personal experience, the RPM is way better on an engine that doesn't see much over 6500 rpm. I don't really like the single planes on street engines, even if you race them regularly. Just my opinion. By the way, I am also starting with the Edelbrock 750 for the same reason as you, because I have one. Maybe we can compare notes when we get these things running. After re-reading your post, if you go with the 364/440, I would seriously consider the RPM manifold, for reasons stated above. I suspect I will get some disagreement from others though!!!!
Ron
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Ron,
The ports on the LS3 heads look like the L92 ports, from what I've seen. Are the intake bolt holes supposed to be different between the two? Are the LS3 heads redesigned to use the vette style intake rather than the truck style intake?
I spoke with quite afew people about the single plane GM vs the dual plane Edelbrock. I've heard that there's negligable low rpm torque differences betwen the two. However, the LS364 (440hp) cam doesn't have quite as much overlap as the LS376 (520hp). Theoretically, the extra velocity of the dual plane might not make much difference without the scavaging effect of a high overlap cam? Maybe? Or it could just be it works great with the stock GM manifold

Quick Reply: LS1 Distributor?