Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Programming??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb ECM Programming??

Is it true if you swap motors that you need to re-flash the rest of the computers in the truck?? I mean assuming that the ECM and PCM come with the motor. I heard something about how you the computers won't talk to each other if the VIN numbers don't match, and as I understand it there are more then just a engine and tranny computer. Do you have to bring the truck to the dealer after your done the swap to fix this?
Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is a truck PCM you will need to reflash it to remove the VATS.

The trucks do not have separate engine and trans computers, at least not till you get up to the really late models with the 6l80e trans.

Anyway GM will not reprogram the PCM, if you found a dealer that was willing/able it would probably cost $$$$$$$$$$$ well a lot. The best way to get your computer reflashed would be through speartech or wait4meperformance. Both have a lot of experience with conversions, you can also buy HPTuners or EFI Live 7 and do it yourself.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Smile

Just to clarify...

I'm looking to swap my 4.8/4L60E for a 6.0/4L80E.

The 6.0 is advertised to come with all the wiring harnesses, computer, and tranny. Actually shows it on a stand running with just a battery and the harness on the floor.

If the motor comes with its own computer, does it still need to be flashed if I swap out that entire harness/computer assembly? Also, should I stick to the same model/year range as my truck? (1999-2002) Or could I go a little newer?

The reason I ask is that I'm a Heavy-Duty Mechanic, I'd like to do the swap out myself, but I don't know much about the security systems with these computers, there isn't much of that in the HD world.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

I think a way to rephrase your question is something like this...

"If I put a 6.0 and its PCM in my (1999? 2000? 2001? 2002?) Silverado in place of the original LR4/PCM, what do I need to do to ensure that the 6.0's PCM and the truck's original BCM communicate properly with each other?"

I'm not famailiar with BCMs so I can't help you with an answer.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I could help you with the swap over. I would only need your computer from your truck. I would merge a 6.0L cal, tuned up of course, and get it going for you. We would buy the 6.0L comp from you as well if you want. Or, if you want to keep the other computer in stock form, you could send both of them up and I could take your program and flash it into the new computer. This way, if you ever want to go back, it would just be a plug and play deal. As far as the harness goes, it might be better to just leave your in the truck and maybe change a couple of wires for the tranny, that will be the only difference. If you need more help, send me a PM or give me a call. Either way, the computer reflash is $225.00 + shipping.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the helpful reply! I will definately consult you when it comes time to do the swap, (summertime) right now I'm just trying to gather all the info I can. The reflash sounds great, and if I don't have to swap harnesses, even better!!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The motor side will be a direct plug in, but to swap from the 60e to 80e trans will require a few pins to be re-arranged in the trans connector and IIRC you will have to add 2 more wires from the PCM to the trans. Theres a thread about converting a 60e harness to run a 80e trans around here somewhere.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Keep the original harness in the truck. I did this with a LQ9 engine and 4L80E trans. Send me an email and I can send you the wire diagrams. You need to switch a couple of pins in the trans harness and add two wires for the second vss on the 4L80E. Very easy to do.

Quick Reply: ECM Programming??