Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great recipe for a super budget 5.3L build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a complete pullout, accessories, computer, manifolds, harness, everything but air intake box and maf for $900. Slapped a LS6/Z06 cam and ls2 intake-with 80mm bbk....also longtubes-->going into a 1986 Iroc! Still under my budget....
Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is my set up.

317 heads
The cam is 211º/230º, 0.591"/0.591" and 121 LSA
ls6 intake
35mm turbos

Name:  92Mustang013.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  83.0 KB
Name:  92Mustang009.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  95.3 KB
Old 10-12-2008, 08:45 PM
13 Second Truck Club

5.3 s are making some good power for cheap just think about how much you lookin for before you start also lq4s are not too pricey
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently picked up a '03 aluminum 5.3 with right around 6000km for $800. Came with harness, ecu, and accessories. Pulled plugs and looks brand new with no carbon build up or wear. Will be domesticating my jdm nissan silvia with some "real" power. Motors built with wrenches out torque motors built with chop-sticks Still need to source out t-56 and the rest of everything else. Need to build the garage first as well.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think you should do a clean 94+ s10 with a 5.3L. make it look like it was supposed to come in the truck from the factory....and make its sole purpose to be a daily driver....put a little cam in it maybe...but you could do that super cheap......wish i had a setup like this for my dd!!!!! alot of guys i have seen getting 25+ mpg out of this setup.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Well, I’ve been a member of the site for a while now, and have been doing lots of reading (not much posting). And since someone dug up a old thread I figured I would post my swap project since it’s not the norm. I am putting a 5.3/4l60e into a 1985 4x4 Toyota truck. This truck is a crawler and will see 90% of its time spent on the trail. I’m not looking for massive amounts of HP, I just wanted a reliable EFI V8. And I happened to get my hands on a 2003 ½ ton 4x4 suburban that had been rolled for 300 bucks. I’ve stripped the motor, trans, harness, and anything else that I thought I might need out of the suburban. I have been doing lots of reading on the site in the last little while in preparation for this swap. There are a few things that I will need to get new because they were damaged in the wreck. I will need a TAC module, ECM, and a under hood junction box. All 3 of these were smashed in the wreck (suburban was hit head on before it rolled, messy accident). I’ve decided that with all the great info that I have found on this site that I am going to modify the harness myself, and save a little cash. My next step is to get the motor and trans mounted into the truck then start the harness rework. I’m confident that with the information on this site and all the great members I will be able to handle this project. The fact that I spent a few years as a grease monkey will help as well.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I have two low buck projects that are in the works the second gen camaro the is my wifes now dont ask and a newly aquired 72 pontiac venture identical to the on drive by roy schrieder in the movie The Seven Ups. a classic the has been overshadowed buy the bullit ford. and others.. check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vACWV5sRcY i plan on building them both on the cheap going carb on them will make the manual trans easy to install my wifes car is going to be and auto...th350 most likely. there are plenty of low buck builds with 5.3 motors here. and all over the web and mags.. do your homework the build can be completed with out going broke.. check www.car-part.com to find good motors all over the country. and every thing else you may need.

Last edited by boogiewonderland; 12-13-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Steve, are you talking totally stock heads too?

How cheap is a pull-out 5.3 these days?

I sold the longblock out of my 2000 Camaro for like $1500.
I just bought a complete 5.3 minus maf sensor with harness and computer for 450.00 it will be going in a 95 s10 with a borg warner 5spd if it is possible to adapt to that i havnt the foggiest of ideas. My backup plan is a turbo400
Old 10-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Default 1966 Buick LeSabre Custom 2dr Hardtop

Originally Posted by 67rsss
If you really wanted a budget build, try to find a way to re-use the truck intake. On some cars that may mean a modified hood, but that would definately fit into the budget idea. While it wouldn't be a serious performance package, a B-body would be a great "budget" build, and there is a ton of room in the bay if you look at an older platform. While definately not budget, I would also love to see some more X-Frame swaps as well, like maybe a 50's/60's Buick (perhaps a 61???), or a 50's Cadilllac. Don't overlook a station wagon either, outside of a few popular choices, you can usually pick up a wagon pretty cheap. Are you talking about the whole project on a budget, or just the driveline? Don't overlook how inexpensive it is to go to your local yard that lets you pull your own parts. You can find a lot of great parts on unpopular cars that are the same part from a popular car and pay less. For a budget build, I would like to see something that uses only basic hand/power tools for any simple fab work, and no crazy expensive details. Thanks for your willingness to explore a new opportunity. I know our swap wasn't as inexpensive as it could have been, and our next swap will definately be cheaper, based on what we know now.

I'm actually working on getting a 2002 Silverado 5.3/4l60e in my 1966 LeSabre. Parts arent easy to find for LS Swap or restore but going to be a great build.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

this thread can now be called "the lazarus thread", as it has be brought back from the dead.

Quick Reply: Great recipe for a super budget 5.3L build?