The Poorman's M5, E60 w/LS7 V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E39 swaps I'm aware of:

One completed: http://www.members.aol.com/hagancue/

One planned: http://www.ls2bmw.com/

There may be others, and I'd like to join them sometime.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Default Thank You!

Originally Posted by rao
http://www.qclt.com:8080/

The entire WDS for the e60 and some other BMWs
That is awesome. Is there a download available? Some of the tech messages mention a DVD, maybe I'll have to get one of those.

Thanks again.
Troy
Old 01-27-2008, 01:29 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don 't think so. You can buy the TIS and ETK disks on Ebay and I am sure someone sells old WDS disks as well. www.realoem.com pretty much makes the ETK obsolete so long as it is around.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rao
The wiring will be tough (actually not the wiring but sorting out the CAN bus), but that only relates to the gauges, the rest of the systems should be easy to deal with; it is like any other swap.
Can relates to alot more systems than most think. There is more than one can bus as well. If you are building a race car then yes you can get rid of all these systems, but since you are not, you better bail on this thought right now. Mounting it doing cooling system and so forth is the easy part. Wiring this engine with the current systems will never happen. Each module interfaces back and forth via seperate can buses and each module "talks" to each other via special code that is specific to Bmw. Simulating this code would be impossible. If you want the dsc light on, ac not to work, none of gauges to work or ews completely disabled then do this swap. All you will have is a car that isnt worth anything to anyone else or you. Wait a few years and buy an M5 when the price on a used one goes down. I drive these cars on a daily basis and the balance of power, handling, braking and comfort is second 2 none. Hope I have filled your head with enlightning knowledge and directed you in a way of logical thinking. Josh
Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
rao
TECH Resident

That's exactly what I said
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rao
That's exactly what I said
Just clairifiying. Not ragging on ya.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Can relates to alot more systems than most think. There is more than one can bus as well. If you are building a race car then yes you can get rid of all these systems, but since you are not, you better bail on this thought right now. Mounting it doing cooling system and so forth is the easy part. Wiring this engine with the current systems will never happen. Each module interfaces back and forth via seperate can buses and each module "talks" to each other via special code that is specific to Bmw. Simulating this code would be impossible. If you want the dsc light on, ac not to work, none of gauges to work or ews completely disabled then do this swap. All you will have is a car that isnt worth anything to anyone else or you. Wait a few years and buy an M5 when the price on a used one goes down. I drive these cars on a daily basis and the balance of power, handling, braking and comfort is second 2 none. Hope I have filled your head with enlightning knowledge and directed you in a way of logical thinking. Josh
Should I apply your comments to the E60, E39, or both? It did not take much time for me to learn a LSx was not going to work in my E60.

I am researching the E39. What are your comments on E39? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
rao
TECH Resident

The e39 is a little easier and it has been done.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rao
The e39 is a little easier and it has been done.
Well, I looked over the web site for the twin turbo car, but I don't see anything about if the gages and such are working in the car. I am going to try to contact the guy.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
rao
TECH Resident

IIRC, the only tricky gauge with that set up is the tach.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike's 530i
Should I apply your comments to the E60, E39, or both? It did not take much time for me to learn a LSx was not going to work in my E60.

I am researching the E39. What are your comments on E39? Thanks!
The e39 is an easier car to do the swap on, but will still be a challenge. It still runs a can bus that communicates dme and dsc along with many other modules. I think the e39 would be a good car to do the swap into because the value of the car wont be hurt by doing an lsx swap. The e60 is worth some money because of being newer and would not be worth the swap. Like others have said do some question asking and searching for answers on the e39 swap. Good Luck, Josh
Old 01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Gm also uses can, signals can be mutilated, it can be done just take some a little time not to bad. Sounds like fun to me.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NewAge
Gm also uses can, signals can be mutilated, it can be done just take some a little time not to bad. Sounds like fun to me.
Gm can and bmw can are different. I happen to work for Bmw. I happen to know the resistance values and I know they are different than Gm.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Default Searching for donor E39

I am now searching for a donor E39. Once I find one, I will try to talk the wife into letting me buy it....just the first step.

I will be getting a 6 speed car for sure. Is it better to get V8 or I6? I have read differing information about which is better. Sounds like the rear end & brake booster are better on the V8, but the I6 has rack & pinion.

I am thinking the rear end would be more expensive to replace than getting the V8 booster. However, there are a lot of very nice low cost I6 cars to choose from. 540/6spd's are much harder to find.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

I am now searching for a donor E39. Once I find one, I will try to talk the wife into letting me buy it....just the first step.

I will be getting a 6 speed car for sure. Is it better to get V8 or I6? I have read differing information about which is better. Sounds like the rear end & brake booster are better on the V8, but the I6 has rack & pinion.

I am thinking the rear end would be more expensive to replace than getting the V8 booster. However, there are a lot of very nice low cost I6 cars to choose from. 540/6spd's are much harder to find.
The 540 6 speed car will set you back a chunk of change. 525/ 528 are everywhere and can be found for cheap. Espically if you get a 95 on up to a 98 or 99. Most of these cars are worn out and need some work. The rack and pinion will have less clearance issues imo. The rearends in either wont take much power. You will have to upgrade either when making some real power.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Teching In

I'd focus on what is not going to change - the condition of the seats and the rest of the interior. Get a 525 or 528 with the premium and/or sport package for all the interior goodies you'll want. There's bound to be several out there with good interiors but not so great mechanicals.

540i front brakes are bigger. Not positive, but I think the suspension was a bit heavier duty as well.

[hijack]
Cam72aro, what is your advice on rear diff? I'd like to have a BMW LSD. I'm targeting 400 rwhp and using a T56 transmission in an E34 for Round 1. (Round 2 will be an E46 or E39.)
[/hijack]
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Gm can and bmw can are different. I happen to work for Bmw. I happen to know the resistance values and I know they are different than Gm.
Just letting you know, they can be changed to work, and its not so much resistance. A simple way to explain it is say it a bar values 1-10. Lets say the signal for the oil gauge is sent is 1-2-6-7- then the coolant gauge is 1-4-5-7 and so on. It can be done.

Last edited by NewAge; 01-29-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Teching In

If your budget allows for the v8 go for it, but would not be a problem swapping out rearends and getting a pedal and booster setup. This way you can select a lsd unit with the gear ratio you perfer.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NewAge
Just letting you know, they can be changed to work, and its not so much resistance. A simple way to explain it is say it a bar values 1-10. Lets say the signal for the oil gauge is sent is 1-2-6-7- then the coolant gauge is 1-4-5-7 and so on. It can be done.
On a obd 1 car such as your yes. On an obd 2 no. Question for you. How many signals are sent over 1 can line? Also do you know what a can high and can low line looks like on an o scope?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by autophile
I'd focus on what is not going to change - the condition of the seats and the rest of the interior. Get a 525 or 528 with the premium and/or sport package for all the interior goodies you'll want. There's bound to be several out there with good interiors but not so great mechanicals.

540i front brakes are bigger. Not positive, but I think the suspension was a bit heavier duty as well.

[hijack]
Cam72aro, what is your advice on rear diff? I'd like to have a BMW LSD. I'm targeting 400 rwhp and using a T56 transmission in an E34 for Round 1. (Round 2 will be an E46 or E39.)
[/hijack]
As long as you dont launch it very hard the rear diff will hold up to 400rwhp. I have a guy that I work with that has a turbo e36 m3 and is making 408 to the wheels. It runs 12.40's or so on street tires.

Quick Reply: The Poorman's M5, E60 w/LS7 V8