Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Poorman's M5, E60 w/LS7 V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know of resources for CAN information? I googled it a while back, but controller area network and the CAN acronym are used far too often in other fields to get any decent results.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Skele4door
Does anyone know of resources for CAN information? I googled it a while back, but controller area network and the CAN acronym are used far too often in other fields to get any decent results.
As far as what manufacturer?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
As far as what manufacturer?
Preferrably someplace that covers all of the major ones. Just BMW would suffice since it applies to this thread and might also pave the way to people swapping LSX' into E46 3 series as well.

BTW, you seem to be know quite a bit about BMW CAN system. What all is typically run on the CAN network? I know the obvious stuff like all the gauges and engine sensors, but are the power windows, reverse lights, ABS, HVAC, navigation/radio, brake lights, horn, etc.? Also, I remember hearing that BMW was thinking about moving to a higher than 12v electrical system so that they could limit the weight of the wiring in the cars. Has this happened yet on any models?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a obd 1 car such as your yes. On an obd 2 no. Question for you. How many signals are sent over 1 can line? Also do you know what a can high and can low line looks like on an o scope?
Yes, Thats what I used to split signals up also worked with friends from gm and a electrical engineer , just tried to explain it in simple terms and I know my ob1 car does not have can, its as simple as finding which wire to hook up. As far the the new vettes and bmws I have been playing with yes they do have can, and as for any type of pissing contest, I am not interested, here to help. Can issues can be solved. It can be done and will be done in the future either by me first (after the E46 is done) or someone else.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NewAge
Yes, Thats what I used to split signals up also worked with friends from gm and a electrical engineer , just tried to explain it in simple terms and I know my ob1 car does not have can, its as simple as finding which wire to hook up. As far the the new vettes and bmws I have been playing with yes they do have can, and as for any type of pissing contest, I am not interested, here to help. Can issues can be solved. It can be done and will be done in the future either by me first (after the E46 is done) or someone else.
Not interested in a pissing contest either. It just sounds that you are offering false information to a newbie that is on the fence about what direction he wants to go. Like I said Gm Can bus is different than Bmw Can bus.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CAN bus stuff CAN be hacked (pun intended).

It's just NOT easy to do at all. In order to do what is wanted here, you would have to trace each signal to it's most basic point, put a scope on it, write some code to grab the signals, then force a sweep (with a working BMW engine in the car) (i.e. various temperature, RPM, etc, points) and collate the data into a pattern to reverse engineer their signal structure.

I've worked on projects like this before (my Uncle is a EE, specializing in reverse engineering), and we reversed Pioneer's closed portions of their IP BUS system in an evening with this method (long story). CAN bus has to follow certain specs, so you'd already be a step ahead of where we started.

That said, the amount of time and effort that would be put forth to accomplish this would be, extreme, and outweigh the benefits greatly.

I'm mostly just here to note that it IS in fact possible.

It might be simpler to monitor the signals output by the engine sensors on the BMW, at the lowest level, and emulate them with a small "black box" and have the LSx sensors feed that box, which would feed the BMW systems. Still, not easy, but simpler from an engineering standpoint.

Last edited by digitalsolo; 01-30-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also do you know what a can high and can low line looks like on an o scope?
I do.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Not interested in a pissing contest either. It just sounds that you are offering false information to a newbie that is on the fence about what direction he wants to go. Like I said Gm Can bus is different than Bmw Can bus.

No false information here just what I know about it and expericenced, yes they are two differment makes,But they can be mated and will be by me or someone soon, Can is Can (you can think of it as high speed lan, mutli information sent over a single wire, just depends on how each manf. sends there signals for each gauge and system like I explained above in simple terms. Hope everyone is getting a education..lol. We are preparing ourselfs for the the newer models, it is are goal to move right up the line and not going to let can hold us back, from making the bmw still function as one.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

No false information here just what I know about it and expericenced, yes they are two differment makes,But they can be mated and will be by me or someone soon, Can is Can (you can think of it as high speed lan, mutli information sent over a single wire, just depends on how each manf. sends there signals for each gauge and system like I explained above in simple terms. Hope everyone is getting a education..lol. We are preparing ourselfs for the the newer models, it is are goal to move right up the line and not going to let can hold us back, from making the bmw still function as one.
The problem is that Bmw can is not 1 wire. Also in the newer models there is more than 1 can bus. There are at least 4 can buses on the e60. The can you are referring to is d can. This is used for diagnosis only via test equipment on the Bmw. The e60 has 4 can buses. Not including the d can.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Teching In

The problem is that Bmw can is not 1 wire. Also in the newer models there is more than 1 can bus. There are at least 4 can buses on the e60. The can you are referring to is d can. This is used for diagnosis only via test equipment on the Bmw. The e60 has 4 can buses. Not including the d can.
Omg..lol either is the ls engine, I know its a few wires with many signals in each one, all I was saying is one wire carries many signals. I will just have to do it in the future to show you it can be done. Whats the point of me making a swap for it, if all the options don't function. Your making it seem like it some space age technology, its been around for many years, they have just recently adapted it to automobiles.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Jesus guys, behave. The CAN is not "a few" wires with "many signals in each one". It is two wires, CAN low and CAN high. They are opposite each other, put them together and they cancel eachother out. The PT-CAN on the E60 (powertrain) contains the engine, trans, traction and stability systems. If you want to change the engine and trans electricals, you have to find a way to interface it with the gauges and stability controls. It will have to go both ways, the GM stuff talk to the BMW stuff and the BMW stuff talk to the GM stuff. The traction control system can close and open the throttle on a BMW, depending on conditions, as well as affect the transmission behavior. Everybody understand?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Omg..lol either is the ls engine, I know its a few wires with many signals in each one, all I was saying is one wire carries many signals. I will just have to do it in the future to show you it can be done. Whats the point of me making a swap for it, if all the options don't function. Your making it seem like it some space age technology, its been around for many years, they have just recently adapted it to automobiles.
Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
Jesus guys, behave. The CAN is not "a few" wires with "many signals in each one". It is two wires, CAN low and CAN high. They are opposite each other, put them together and they cancel eachother out. The PT-CAN on the E60 (powertrain) contains the engine, trans, traction and stability systems. If you want to change the engine and trans electricals, you have to find a way to interface it with the gauges and stability controls. It will have to go both ways, the GM stuff talk to the BMW stuff and the BMW stuff talk to the GM stuff. The traction control system can close and open the throttle on a BMW, depending on conditions, as well as affect the transmission behavior. Everybody understand?
Good luck with your swap. I hope you can do it. I would love to see this swap. Prove me wrong and do it.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
Sorry bimmer tech I am moving on now and just doing it, lets get this thread back to what it was about, Mike 530i have you found a car yet ?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I contemplated doing an LS1 swap on my '99 540I 6 speed car because when I got the car it had already spit the timing chain guide and bent all 32 valves.
After looking into it, I figured out that I was ahead by repairing the car rather than modyfing it. In the little research I did, I found that the 9/98 and earlier E39 cars had a lot less CAN network stuff and are better canidates for motor swaps. Like was mentioned earlier, the 6 cylinder cars are more common and have rack and pinion steering, unlike the V8 cars, which use a huge steering box and a more traditional steering system. I belive that the E39 platform is a damn good car and would be a great swap for a LSX engine of some sort. Hope this helps!!

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Launching!

Any updates on this?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:54 PM

I live in Bham,AL and have a 1998 BMW 540i w/ engine problems. I like the car and would like to keep it but do not want to invest in a used BMW engine swap. Someone suggested swapping out the M62 for a GM or Ford V8. I do not need BIG HP but would like something with some pep at the best HP/Price ratio. Have seen some info on E36 swaps but little on E39. Any suggestions? How difficult is elec conversion and how much time and $ to get to a running product?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Bringing back the post... I currently have a few GM LS2/LS3 combos that would work nice haha. I also have a engine trans combo from a 01 330i, with standard transmission.

Quick Reply: The Poorman's M5, E60 w/LS7 V8