Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some guidance for my conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some guidance for my conversion

Hello everyone, Im new to the page. I am installing a 99 SS LS1 W/T56 tranny into a 1977 corvette. Currently I am dressing up the engine compartment after I pulled the tired 350 out of it. I have a few questions: Clutch pedals, should I try to fab the LS1 pedals I got with the engine or should I try to find a set of stock pedals?(it had an auto) Wiring: Do you all suggest I pay to have my wiring harness serviced for an easy install or is it possible to do it myself?(little experiance with wiring harnesses) and third, What about getting fuel to the engine? inline pump wit ajustable regulator? anyone have any suggestions? any help will be great? I am taking a ton of pics to post, so look for those in the future.

Thanks, Clay
Old 07-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need some guidance for my conversion

Find yourself a set of C3 manual pedals. That way you can keep the original corvette look. The clutch master cylinder will just about bolt right up to the corvette's clutch pedal. I just picked up a small nylon spacer/ bushing and even used the original clip.

Do the wiring yourself. It is really not that hard, and since I did a 99 engine in my 70 corvette, I can help you with it.

I am running the stock 1970 tank with the feed on the bottom and the vent/return on the top. I picked up an inline Walbro 255LPH pump and mounted it to the frame rail on the passenger's side under the tank. In front of that is an off the shelf 99 Corvette fuel filter/ pressure regulator. A single fuel line then follows the old lines up the fuel rail.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Also check out my website.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the fast reply Jeff. I have found the pedals, it looks like they are going to cost me 250.00 for the entire assembly. I have found two at that price. Any other places you suggest I should look? I also purchased the motor mounts from S&P, what about tranny? will it line up with a four speed cross-member? I appricate the help with the wiring, I am sure I will have a thousand questions..

Thanks, Clay
Old 07-11-2003, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

www.ls1speed.com did an LS1 swap into a 71 Corvette a few months ago FWIW.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Hello everybody im doing some research and was wondering if you guys know where to get some good deals on a ls1 an t56 tranny. Im looking to swap them into my chevelle.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the S&P motor mounts, the tranny will sit too far back to use the stock crossmember. You will have to cut it out and make a new one. Also, I think the shifter will sit too far back to come out the stock location by about 2". Since I really wanted a stock looking interior, I opted to move the engine and tranny forward a little bit. This allowed the shifter to line up and also allowed me to use the stock crossmember. I had to make my own motor and tranny mount to do this.

Quick Reply: need some guidance for my conversion