Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS Bypass box vs. LS1Edit???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS Bypass box vs. LS1Edit???

Which of these would be a more viable option for my conversion? I know you obviously have "editing" functions with the LS1Edit...but at the same time, the bypass box would be cheaper.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: VATS Bypass box vs. LS1Edit???

Are you keeping all emissions, rear O2's, fuel pressure, etc.? Is your engine stock or pretty much stock? For me the box would be cheaper but in the long run I will need LS1edit to get rid of all the stuff I'm not using plus it won't be stock. If your stock and don't plan on doing a lot you could send the PCM out for programming. I've sorta contemplated keeping the Vats, but making a small removable box to remove to enable it.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

cheaper yes, better? naah, ya might as well get edit, it'd be worth it's weight in gold in the long run.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

If all you are wanting it for is vats I would just go with the vats box. I built my own for around $10. But like others have said edit is a very nice tool. I don't have it yet myself but I am planning on getting it.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I'd go with the VATS box if it can be done for around $10, getting the car running and make sure it's functional then get LS1 edit to tweak it with.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Here's a thought. Your 1000 miles from home and your PCM dies. With a VATS box you can get a stock PCM from any junkyard and at least limp home. With LS1 edit you’re stuck until you get the new PCM programmed with your old VIN to use LS1 Edit to remove VATS (of course this only works if you remembered your laptop) or you call a tow truck.

My personal thought is use both. Make a VATS box, get LS1 edit to remove the codes and do performance modifications. You can always make the VATS box with a plug and use it as an anti theft device
Old 07-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Now what would I need to do in order to make a VATS box?? I thought i saw somewhere that VATS needs to "see" a 50MHz signal in order for everythign to work properly?...
Old 07-25-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now what would I need to do in order to make a VATS box?? I thought i saw somewhere that VATS needs to "see" a 50MHz signal in order for everythign to work properly?...
Yes for an f-body pcm you need 40-60 Hz signal
Here is a link to a calculator ( the second one down on the page)http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#2
LM555 - ASTABLE OSCILLATOR CALCULATOR
I can't post a pic but I will e-mail you a diagram with values that worked good for me.

Quick Reply: VATS Bypass box vs. LS1Edit???