Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everybody's favorite game... WTF is this crap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a spare nipple on the radiator cap side of your radiator? Some replacement rads have them as a input for a steam line and they are only 3/8" so a piece of hose will fit right on both ends. Other radiators have a nipple, but it is 5/8 or 3/4 for a heater hose. I just made an adapter out of brass to step it down to 3/8.

If your radiator does not have an extra nipple there you could have one welded on. Or T the hose into the upper radiator hose, or into the return heater hose, or tap the water pump. I would prefer to do it in that order. since putting it into the low pressure(cap side) of the radiator is best, the upper rad hose is second best because it is usually one of the highest points in the system, the water pump and heater hose are about the same, but its easier to T into the hose than drill and tap the pump.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite sure what you mean by the spare nipple. I have 2 extra fittings on the radiator, and have no clue what they are for. Maybe I can hook these up?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Bump....

Can I connect the hose in picture #4 to the fitting on the right side of my radiator?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The fitting with the brass plug in it, if it goes directly to coolant and is not a trans cooler line fitting (and it doesn't look like it to me) will work, just find a fitting to put in there and hook up the steam hose.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I ran the crossover line to the plug on my radiator. Good to go.

Now how about this, did I get these connected correctly? And what should I connect the last picture to?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Just do a search on LS1 pcv systems. This has been covered many times mostly due to people wanting to route a catch can to keep oil out of the intake.

There should be a hose coming out of the top left of the throttle body, it should go to the front of the left valve cover (red hose). There may or may not be a hose coming out of the back of the left cover. If there is it should cross over to the other side (green hose), otherwise no big deal. On the rear driver side valve cover there should be a pcv valve or a nipple, that should route back into the intake (across the back ant toward the pass front side, right below the hose coming out of the throttle body). This is all a little different depending on if the engine is out of a truck, Camaro, or the LS6's use a nipple in the valley cover instead of the back of the driver valve cover.

It may be a good idea to route a catch can inline with the hose coming out of the rear driver side valve cover going to the front of the intake (the blue hose). This will help to keep oil from accumulating in the intake.

From LS1howto.com:
Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Amazing. Exactly what I needed to see. I wasn't even sure if that was the PCV stuff or not. So to bypass the catch can I can use this writeup, correct?

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Edit: I already have the LS6 valley cover I saved the day 3 years ago and didn't even know it! Now I just need a grommet for the plug in the drivers valve cover.

Last edited by Grewe02; 04-08-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Everybody's favorite game... WTF is this crap?