Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 In An FFR Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update

Renee and I decided to start on the Wilwood Pedalbox yesterday. It was actually kind of fun despite the instructions, or destructions as I call them sometimes, not exactly being accurate.

Well I started off earlier in the day calling Factory Five and asking them if I had to modify the pedals since I was using a hydraulic clutch, they said yes. So we're going through the instructions and as we read ahead we notice they have us installing a cable guide and adjuster. Well I wasn't thinking to good at this point and just thought it was for the gas pedal. Notice I said gas pedal, eh we're not doing that one yet there Mr. Wizard. So we stop and go wait a damn minute here. We skipped past those steps right to mounting the pedals to the mount then onto the car. At this point I'm starting to notice a shortage of nuts, bolts, and washers. Soooo we start looking through the box trying find a package we missed, no luck. So we get ready to do my favorite part, box hunting. We ended up finding the rest of the parts in box #24 inside the battery holder. Then my wife reads the packing slip and it actually said that the pedal box components were in that box. Ya I got an earful for that one, no big deal, I'm used to it...

Now the pictures in the instructions aren't exactly clear to the orientation of said parts. That fun part is left up to you.. We have a pretty good idea how to put a pedalbox together so we're moving the parts around, taking it out, taking it back apart, to see what holes line up where. We keep doing this until a light goes off in your head and you're like "ohhh so that's how it goes." So at this point it's getting late so I temporarily mount the unit and pack it up for the night.

Here's a few pics:

Also have to add that over the weekend I got the front F-Panels riveted on, brake calipers temporarily mounted, and the dash mocked up so I can see what it's gonna look like. I'm still decided to either use this dash, the one came from Factory Five, or get a blank one and cut my own holes. I'll wait till I get the steering in and see how bad it's gonna block the RPM and MPH guages.

Here's a few pics:

Also temp mounted the motor mounts to the motor. The mounts the car came with are for a 4.6 Ford modular motor. They'll work on the LSx motor with a bit of modification to one of the tabs, you'll see in the pictures. I'm going this route first cause I don't want to cutoff the mounts on the frame. On the FFcobra forums they say I'll run into an issue with the driveshaft binding with a live axle. I'll get the motor and trans mounted and take some measurements and see. If it is indeed an issue I'll cut the mounts and install some mounts from an 03-06 GTO. I wanna try this route first cause all I'll have to modify it the motor mounts the bolt onto the block, much easier than the other way..

Pics:

Tails
Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

These would fit your build perfect
http://www.streetandperformanceelect...nst/555701.pdf
Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Sorry mate but I reckon those rocker cover adaptors look butt ugly.

There's plenty of nice rocker cover options available for the LS1 in either cast, billet or fabricated. If you want a classic look there are cast finned versions. If you want high tech there are carbon fiber covers.

I like my GMPP covers. Before them I had removed the coil bosses of the stock covers and polished them.

Here's the polished stock covers

Here's the GMPP covers

A few friends down here have used different rocker cover styles on their LS1 Cobra motors. You can make the ugly duckling motor look very nice.

Cheers

Michael
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Good choices. To be honest at this stage I'm not worried about the motor looks right now. Other things to work on / think about.. Thanks for the idea though, I'm sure it'll come up as the build goes along..

Tails
Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be fun man. My neighbor has a 5.0 FFR with afr heads/ vic jr intake and its a really fun car.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Not much really got done this weekend. Only box that showed up was the front hubs so I got those on. Picked up the trans from Nic, thanks man.. And started putting the footboxes back together so I can see how much room I'm gonna have when I test fit the motor and trans. I want to make the passenger side a little bigger for somemore footroom. Also need to get measurements cause I'm gonna have to come up with a midshift kit for the T56. We'll see. Here's a few pics..

Tails
Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Something like this?

Cheers

Michael
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Teching In

lookin good!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Michael is there a conversion kit you can get for the T56 to convert it to a midshift like that?
That or either I'd have to come up with my own setup using the rear hole. I think one of the vendors on the ffcobra forum sells something..

Tails
Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

I've been modding and beefing them up down here in Australia for a few years now. I think I did my first mid shift back in late 2002. Unfortunately I don't do kits though, I only build the customers trans or do a changeover. Not a realistic option with the distance involved.

There is a company in the US that's doing kits now. They came out with a mid shift kit for 57 chev with a bench seat. Keisler Auto.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 04-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks I'll do some looking around there. Also shooting emails back and forth with another vendor so we'll see..

Tails
Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Check with Mike Forte. When I was looking at that stuff, he had everything Tremec.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Yep he's one of the ones I've been throwing questions at. I like his setup, very clean and simple..

Tails
Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Keep us posted. I'm in the planning stages of building pretty much the same exact thing only with the FFR IRS setup.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Nice. It's been pretty fun so far. I didn't go the IRS route cause of budget reasons but it's a nice setup..

I'm still waiting on some parts to show up before I drop the motor and trans in. The steering rack is supposed to show up this week and the rearend next week. So I decided to get the body panels mounted and the holes drilled for them. Got the gas tank mounted after the panels were fitted and drilled. Planning on modding the trunk a little bit so I can have a little more storage space. Also gotta start getting the radiator and fan mounted. Anyhow here's some pics of the weekends progress..

Tails
Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Excellent powertrain choice for the FFR. I've been following Factory Five since the late 90's and they make a great product. I plan to build a roadster with the same powertrain set up, possibly going the forced induction route though. The only thing I would change (budget permitting) would be going with the IRS.

Keep the pics coming, you're motivating me!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Will do. I thought about the IRS option really hard when I ordered the kit. I just couldn't swing it budget wise. I'll be the first to say if you can afford it go that route. Biggest reason is you won't have to worry about the driveshaft length since it doesn't move in an IRS setup..

On another note does anyone know if Wilwood sells sells the hydraulic setup for the T56? I called up GM for the master and slave setup and ya it's got the typical GM markup.. Figured I've already got the Wilwood setup for the brakes might as well make it the same across the board..

Tails
Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Update:

Didn't get much done this weekend. Had other stuff to take care of so I didn't get to spend as much time as I would've liked. I just worked for a few hours early Sat and Sun night. Got the steering rack, tie rods, and linkages mounted. Haven't torqued anything down just yet. I'll get to that later in the week. Here's a few pics..

Tails
Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tails,

'Fess up now, you got behind the wheel and made "Rumm Rumm" sounds didn't you!! Just wait till you have pedals and a shifter in place!

Thanks for shring the excellent pictures of your guys progress.

Pat
Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Pat, LOL ya busted me there. I had the seat in it right after I took the pic of the steering wheel making race car noises like a kid. I'd hook up the gas pedal if it wouldn't get in the way of stuff at the moment..

Tails

Quick Reply: LS1 In An FFR Roadster