Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 In An FFR Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allright. All I did this weekend was test fit the motor and trans to see how much room I had in various areas. I want to run a bigger passenger footbox, more for comforts sake. I know I'm building one of the least creature comfort cars out there but hey, the passenger has to be able to stretch their feet.. The motor sits pretty low. It's a good thing cause I'm gonna have to shim the motor mounts a little higher cause the main pulley is a little close to the front main tube for my comfort. Probably be a combo of shims and and underdrive pulley, we'll see. Anyhow here's some pictures:

Tails
Old 05-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Ya know the only thing I can think of about backordered parts is? It's like Christmas everytime the delivery guy shows up. Gonna be a busy weekend..

Ford 8.8 w/3.55 gear.

Tails
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 PM
8 Second Club

great build !!!!

subscribing!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Got the rear up and most of the stuff on. Nothing is torqued down as of yet. Got the axles in, still have to tighten up the 3-link bracket, get the panhard rod on, etc... Here's some pics for ya..

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Such a great car. I love these Cobra kit cars. Looks like amazing progress. Keep up the great work on this
Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FadedFD
Such a great car. I love these Cobra kit cars. Looks like amazing progress. Keep up the great work on this
Thanks. I was looking over it this morning on my way to work. I'll be damned it's starting to look like a car instead of boxes of parts. lol..

Tails
Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Ffr

looking damn sweet so far , any ideal how little this will weigh when its done?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zman1969
looking damn sweet so far , any ideal how little this will weigh when its done?
Thanks for the compliments. If I can keep it around 2200-2500lbs I'll be a happy camper..

Tails
Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

That is light. She's going to be a monster.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Not much went on with the car this past weekend. Still waiting on a few parts from FFR. Picking up the LS7 clutch, PP, slave, etc.., today. Might get the motor in this weekend, maybe. I'm working on moving the firewall a few inches towards the front of the car, gives me more room for stuff. And putting in the bigger footboxes for the driver and passenger. So as soon as those go in motor and trans are next.

This past weekend all I did was torque everything on the rear down and swapped the brake caliper brackets so the calipers were towards the front of the car instead of the rear. With them the other way they were too close to the shocks for my taste. There was possible interference if the suspension ever bottomed out. And test fitted the wheels to make everything cleared. Here's the pics:

Tails
Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

WOW. A Badass car, a badass, motor and badass wheels (love the Fr500's). You have really good taste. That is my exact dream car. Everything is exactly the way I would build it. BRAVO my friend BRAVO.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those wheels are what I was going to put on my ls1 rx7 but the only downside is that they are heavy. Especially in comparison to how light the car is that your using. Not that It matter too much though. I think you'll still have plenty of power.

Looks great. I am thinking of doing this next, or the GTM supercar (If I can afford it)

It makes shipping easier that Factory Five is located in Wareham, ma and I live in Bourne,ma The next town over.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Launching!

WOW. A Badass car, a badass, motor and badass wheels (love the Fr500's). You have really good taste. That is my exact dream car. Everything is exactly the way I would build it. BRAVO my friend BRAVO.
Thanks for the compliments..

Those wheels are what I was going to put on my ls1 rx7 but the only downside is that they are heavy. Especially in comparison to how light the car is that your using. Not that It matter too much though. I think you'll still have plenty of power.

Looks great. I am thinking of doing this next, or the GTM supercar (If I can afford it)

It makes shipping easier that Factory Five is located in Wareham, ma and I live in Bourne,ma The next town over.
Thanks. Since the car is so light anyhow I don't think the heavy wheels will hurt. Actually might help a little to get it all to the ground along with the suspension setup.

The GTM is a great car. Drove one when I went out to MA for their open house. It is an expensive car though. If you can swing it go for it.

If you can pick the car up from the factory you'll save about $1500 in shipping..

Tails
Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Update

Got the bigger footboxes done this past Sun along with the firewall forward mod. After the having the measurements from the motor the other week I decided to go ahead with these since I had enough room. Wanted a little more footroom and a little more room inbetween the firewall and dash for stuff. Also the floorpans were of some thicker material so it feels more "solid" than the thin stuff FFR gives ya.

Floopan Comparison

Passenger Footbox Before Shot

Passenger Footbox After Shot

Drivers Footbox Before Shot

Drivers Foot After Shot

Firewall Forward Shot

Tails
Old 06-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Quick update. Haven't got the motor in. Screwed up my knee a few weeks back so it's just now getting back to where I can work with it. So the motor isn't in yet. It's sitting in the garage with the trans attached, waiting..

I did find out last night that the 04 GTO manifolds I have for it won't clear the mustang mounts that are on the block. Anyone know of a shorty header that will clear them and bolt up to the LSx block?

Tails
Old 06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Looks awsome. Have you tried any other manifolds for the exhaust? Caddy V, trucks, camaro, TA? Surely one of those should fit. Did the kit come with all the klinkos(SP)? Also, how hard was it to make the foot boxes? I'm 6'3" and wanting to build one in the next 2 yrs.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Early Corvette manifolds tuck in nicely and they are cheap. They are also made from pressed steel so they are dead easy to modify. I cut down a pair to make an underbody system for my Cobra. I had to run an underbody system one to get thru registration. The headers and side pipes went on when I got it home with plates and rego label in hand.

Here's a pic of one of my modified Corvette manifolds.

It's not that hard to build you own headers though. I just bought a box of mandrel bends and pieced mine together. Cut the tubes and tack them together. It's like building a jigsaw. I've got soem step by step pics of how I did it somewhere.

Here they are all HPC coated.

With the bolt up flanges inside the guard you can swap the sidepipes round for all ocasions. I built these for the drag strip

Cheers

Michael
Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Looks awsome. Have you tried any other manifolds for the exhaust? Caddy V, trucks, camaro, TA? Surely one of those should fit. Did the kit come with all the klinkos(SP)? Also, how hard was it to make the foot boxes? I'm 6'3" and wanting to build one in the next 2 yrs.
I drove a cobra with the bigger footboxes and gave my boss a ride, he's 6'3'' also. It was a snug but comfortable fit according to him. I mean you gotta expect to be packed in considering the type of car. The term you wear it comes to mind.. The cleckos didn't come with the kit. I bought those online from this place: http://cokid.com/. I picked up 75 of the 1/4 inch ones and 30 of the 1/2 inch ones. These things have been great during the build. The footboxes, firewall, floorpans, etc.., you can make yourself or get from one of the vendors on the ffcobra site. If you a set of sheetmetal snips, or a nibbler, along with a sheetmetal brake you can make whatever you might need. I plan on putting in a storage compartment between the seats on the back wall and dropping the battery below the trunk with an access panel..

Mike, thanks for the info. I'll check into it. I've been tossing around the idea of having the exhaust system fabbed up. My welding skills are pretty bad so I'll have to find someone to help with that if I go that route. We'll see. Let me get the motor dropped in and see what kind of room I have to work with...

Tails
Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tails, I'm still jealous!
At my last high speed autocross (on a 1.4 mile road course) a guy ran his FFR cobra w the same wheels (275s front, 315 rears) and a mid 90's Cobra 4.6L. He says he is only making 300 hp. He set the fast time of the day.
Granted, he is an outstanding driver.
But still, I cant help but wonder how I would stack up w a 500 hp L92/T56 powered FFR...

I spoke to him about it, he said his car could be duplicated for $32k (he saved some $ w a simple flat black paint job - but so would I).

I will build one.... some day.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tails8
I drove a cobra with the bigger footboxes and gave my boss a ride, he's 6'3'' also. It was a snug but comfortable fit according to him. I mean you gotta expect to be packed in considering the type of car. The term you wear it comes to mind.. The cleckos didn't come with the kit. I bought those online from this place: http://cokid.com/. I picked up 75 of the 1/4 inch ones and 30 of the 1/2 inch ones. These things have been great during the build. The footboxes, firewall, floorpans, etc.., you can make yourself or get from one of the vendors on the ffcobra site. If you a set of sheetmetal snips, or a nibbler, along with a sheetmetal brake you can make whatever you might need. I plan on putting in a storage compartment between the seats on the back wall and dropping the battery below the trunk with an access panel..
Tails
Thanks a ton for giving me some insight on the build. Looking great whens it going to be "done"?

Quick Reply: LS1 In An FFR Roadster