Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A-body EFI tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 602 Likes on 478 Posts

Try this vendor. Rock Auto doesn't have em as of last week for 70 Camaro. I gor mine in 2 days. http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/site/823208/page/303895
Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone who bought one of these tank assemblies give me some info how well the baffles work? I am considering one of these tank assemblies because at 1/2 tank or so my Chevelle will fuel bog/starve if I launch hard. I am using my stock tank with an external Walbro pump,Corvette filter/regulator and ran my return back thru the sending unit. Pump can get a little loud and only bogs on hard launch and at less than 1/2 tank. I don't want to spend $500 on a pump and tank assembly and end up having the same problems.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Teching In

would an impala efi tank fit on a 69 camaro??? there's gotta be a cheaper alternative than paying $1200 for a ricks or rock valley....
Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 65SSZO6
Can anyone who bought one of these tank assemblies give me some info how well the baffles work? I am considering one of these tank assemblies because at 1/2 tank or so my Chevelle will fuel bog/starve if I launch hard. I am using my stock tank with an external Walbro pump,Corvette filter/regulator and ran my return back thru the sending unit. Pump can get a little loud and only bogs on hard launch and at less than 1/2 tank. I don't want to spend $500 on a pump and tank assembly and end up having the same problems.
From what I have seen over the past couple years these tanks are not all that great in the baffle department. People are experiencing similar problems to what you are seeing with your external pump. Also I have heard some having issue with the pump that is included in the tank.

I can say that my tanksinc setup does a good job down to a 1/4 tank even under hard acceleration. Although, for whatever reason it has issues with leaking slightly when the tank is full. So short of a fuel cell or Ricks tank there isn't a great solution that I am aware of.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigarmzz
would an impala efi tank fit on a 69 camaro??? there's gotta be a cheaper alternative than paying $1200 for a ricks or rock valley....
I "think" that the impala tank is to wide for the camaro, it just barely fits in the chevelles without taking to much out of the frame.

As for the new spectra tanks that are supposedly fixing the fuel starvation issues, arent those supposed to start being available this month?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"As for the new spectra tanks that are supposedly fixing the fuel starvation issues, arent those supposed to start being available this month?"

Great... didn't know it was an issue. Got my tank over a year ago & have not used it yet. Maybe they will swap it out???
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Any feedback from anyone who has used one of these tank/pump combos?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default Replacement of my Replacement EFI tank

Well I purchased the Spectra GM34EFI tank from Rock Auto. I will say for $395 plus tax and shipping you really can't beat it.

Did a little modification of the sending unit to allow -6AN lines/fittings.

But after having it in the car for 4000 miles I am thoroughly NOT impressed with it as a performance option.

It has some really bad fuel slosh mostly due to the fact that the pump does not sit in a accumulation can. And the "baffle" looks like a baking tin that was welded to the bottom of the tank. If I take a moderate corner with less than half a tank it will starve the motor and shut off. If I accelerate heavily with a 1/4 tank it will do the same thing. I contacted Spectra and told them the issue I was having. Their fix was to "replace the rubber hose on the sending unit as it may collapse during heavy use." Now I'm a auto technician, and even a layperson could see that the rubber hose is on the FEED side of the pump not the suction side. There's no way this hose should collapse. per Spectra "if after replacing the hose you still have an issue we'll replace the sending unit."

In addition to this the fuel pump is already starting to fail and has problems keeping up with my STOCK 5.3L. I've recently purchased a Walbro 255 and will be putting that in until at which time I can either make a surge tank or purchase a Rick's Tank.

My opinion is this tank is the best on the market to get it running and drive the car for the money. But I would've saved it and spent the $1000-1200 on a Ricks Tank. (unless you're wanting to fab/modify other types of tanks). I was hoping this was a mod-free tank install. WRONG....WRONG!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Wade70SS thanks for the reply. Wow this really makes me rethink buying one of these tank/pump combos. Any other members have feedback on these tank/pump combos?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

I emailed Spectra asking if I could trade in or upgrade my brand new tank. I am not holding my breath though. I would add some kind of baffle to mine before I use it once I hear back that they are not going to do anything. I don't mind having to stay above a quarter tank but at that level or above stumbling/dying is unacceptable.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Bowtie70SS,
Please let me know what they say as I'm in the same boat...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the new tank's baffle

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ng-baffle.html

I posted this here a few weeks ago and I guess it sliped threw the cracks, 134 views no responses...ha ha

The new tanks are not out yet, no scheduled date as of today....

Bozz
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default New Spectra Tank

I purchased mine sometime within march and it has that style of baffle. I don't see where it would prevent slosh as much as a surge ta k or a saddle style (The second picture on that post) pick up assembly. I hope Spectra comes out with a remedy.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wade70ss
I purchased mine sometime within march and it has that style of baffle. I don't see where it would prevent slosh as much as a surge ta k or a saddle style (The second picture on that post) pick up assembly. I hope Spectra comes out with a remedy.
I agree with you, its not the best design but they claim it works..... I am using the impala tank and its ok so far, for cosemetics I may bite the bullet and go with a Rick's... When I finish putting the turbo on gas delivery is very crucial with boost, I cannot afford for it to go lean or fuel starvation....

This is also what Spectre says too:

Originally Posted by Nicolas
We want people to drive their car the way they want. Our system can now work without hesitation until the 'Empty' level. That's what you can expect from the new design.

In order to test the new tank, we filled it up with only 8L of fuel. With this quantity, the cluster will show Empty and the car should already be filled up. We did this in order to confirm that even on low fuel situation, the car won’t die.

Our test was simple; we did 360’s as quickly as we could in both directions until the engine run out of fuel. We were impressed of the time it took to finally have the engine stop. After 15 minutes of hard cornering and drifting the car on the snow, we went back in the garage to see the quantity of fuel left in the tank.

There was only 4.5L in the 68L fuel tank left when it finally run out of fuel. This means even on low fuel, you can still drive the car for a long time, even race it. This test also shown that the fuel pump have enough flow rate at a pressure of 4,5BAR to run a 4.0L V6 engine at wide-open throttle with under 8L of fuel.
I don't know how true it is, the proof will be from the consumers.... I am leaning towards a Ricks though.

Bozz
Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

I think there is a language barrier when trying to communicate with these guys. I got a response back to a email inquiry I sent and it said to contact Rock Auto...they didn't read my entire email. I am starting to feel like I need to modify my tank like they did with a piece of sheet metal that I can spot weld in through the sending unit hole. Too bad I didn't just buy a original gas tank for $179 and make my own.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone tested the new tank? Has the new baffle design helped? What fuel pump do they use and how much hp will it support?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is the A-body system that Retrofuel will be offering sometime soon.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Tanks Inc is now offering a tank and pump setup
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the imput wade , i was considering that tank from rock auto , glad i went with a 96 ss impala tank instead , it was some work , and required some fabrication skills , but being a stock item i expect it to proform as expected

i did a thread on my install here

Quick Reply: New A-body EFI tank