Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally figured out Alternator wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried everything and still nothing just bought the resistors too. Nothing! Please help.
70 camaro with 98 LS1 if you got an idea. Call me 2173580122 thanks.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Teching In

ok so i tried wiring the alternator as the first post explained. resistor and all. didnt work. removed the one wire and just used the resistor on pin c of the alt. still not working. swapped the pins so the resistor was on pin b. still nothing. both were going to switched power on my fuse block(aftermarket) and im running a holley efi. its a 5.3 with the 5.3 alt. took the alt to get tested and rested good. took the resistor out of the circuit and put in a 194 plate light socket and still nothing. i have power at both pin on the pigtail for the alt. ay help would be great. thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should have key-on 12v power to one side of the bulb/resistor, the other side goes to the alt. terminal. When you turn the key, 12v goes thru the bulb/resistor to excite the alt. until it's putting out voltage. When that happens, voltage equalizes between the bulb/resistor, current flow ceases, and the bulb goes out.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lason
OK from everything I have read on here, on a F-body alternator pin B on the 4 wire plug should have a 12v source with a 470ohm 1/2 watt resistor inline in order to "turn on" the alternator. Well I tried that and it didnt work. Got a new alternator same thing. So last night in frustration I decided to leave the wire and resistor where it was and put 12v to pin C and BINGO! Alternator started charging and the gauge went to 14 volts.

So in my expirience, pin B needs the 12v w/470ohm resistor and pin c needs 12v in order for the alternator to energize.

This was a carb'd setup using a '98 camaro alternator (even though autozone only had one part number for 98-02 f-bodies)
Yeah but what are the colors that doesn't tell me nothing an I'm having the same problem with 5 wires I need to know what color goes where

Quick Reply: Finally figured out Alternator wiring!