Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 LQ9 with LS6 intake into a 68 vette recipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 6.0 LQ9 with LS6 intake into a 68 vette recipe

OK, I've got an offer on an 02 Escalade 6.0 LQ9 to put in my 68 vette.
I'll be using the factory intake, harness, injectors, computer, etc if they fit under my L88 hood.
If they dont, I plan on changing to an LS1 or 6 intake, but I'll use my existing injectors with aftermarket rails and modified rail hold downs to account for different length injectors. Anyone see a problem with this?
My other option is the Victor JR for EFI, LQ9 injectors, Edelbrock rail, modified hold down bracket, and low profile elbow/TB mount. This may be a better choice based on flow if I do a LS6 cam/valve spring swap.
TB clearance with the water pump will be done with a spacer or a 2007 truck pump.
Fuel pump will be in-tank or walbro external, have not decided yet.
Accessory brackets will be custom for only alternator and aftermarket AC compressor. Both mounted high, similar to the vette alternator mount.
Flywheel/clutch will be 02 F body, hooked to a Tremec 5 speed using the GM adapter pilot bushing.
Any other issues that I have not considered?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that any of the Truck Intake will not fit under your stock hood without a large cowl hood or scoop. I think you should start looking for a LS6 intake. (you can pickup a LS1 really cheap if you don't mine leaving some HP/TQ on the table).

Depending on how low you sit the Gen III/IV engine.. the Victor JR w/Throttle Body still might be very tight on hood space.. but it will come down to the engine placement.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

The L88 hoods are pretty tall. They'll fit an LS1, the GMPP carb manifold, carb, and drop base air cleaner pretty easy.
That's why my other choice is a carb manifold with EFI ports, and the low rise TB elbow.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well.. maybe on of the 68+ Vette guys will ping in and comment on the Truck intake on the L88 hood.. I believe that the top of the Truck Intake to the center of the crank is 20 inches.. you might do a guesstimation on that number...what would 20 inches from your old engine (BBC or SBC figuring the crank/trans center line would be about the same as the Gen III/IV) bring it up and into the hood of a L88 hood... figuring that the truck intake would be like a big box that extended to the rear of the engine.

IMO.. I would go look for a LS6 intake anyway.. the Truck Intakes just don't look good..! You need to have a LS1/L6/LS2 intake with the Corvette covers over the coils.. that would be the look.. but its your vette..
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

As for the look, I couldn't agree more. And I'm also partial to the carb intake with TB elbow and aftermarket fuel rails. In terms of flow a cam and the carb intake are hard to beat too.