Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and th350 transmission in 69 chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 and th350 transmission in 69 chevelle

I am putting a ls1 into my 69 chevelle and an leaving the th350 transmission in it. I was told that i needed a spacer for the flywheel and a extension for the crank to fit over the torque convertor nose. But from the measurements that i have taken( from where the bellhousing mounts to the motors TO the torque convertor mounts on the flywheel that are both 7/8 of an inch on the ls1 and my small block 327 that i pulled out) are the same. I do see that i need the adapter for the nose piece on the torque convertor to the crank but i dont think i need the spacer for the flywheel. Any one out there have the same issues and can make it a little easier on for me would be much appreciated. Any suggestions would be very heplful. Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Launching!

I just dropped a 5.3 in my 69 camaro and used the th350.I did not use any spacer,but you will have to oval the converter holes on the flywheel towards the center of the crank 1/8th of an inch.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAY ROD
I just dropped a 5.3 in my 69 camaro and used the th350.I did not use any spacer,but you will have to oval the converter holes on the flywheel towards the center of the crank 1/8th of an inch.

you must use a crankshaft spacer either the hughes or the gm spacer and bolts,, or you had a custom converter made with a longer crank hub

if you just bolted a stock old style th350 converter to your 5.3 without a spacer you will have major trans problems after a few miles of driving, it will probly destroy the pump and leak as it takes out the pump bushing because the converter crank hub is not centering in the back of the crank,,

the only lsx engines that you can bolt right up to a th350/400 without any aftermarket spacer is the 6.0L that came with a 4l80e trans because they come with the gm spacer and bolts and the flat flexplate from factory stock that way

Last edited by jay_lt4; 04-21-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

i think there are 2 diff flywheels for the ls motors-a flat one, and a curved one-as said, some of the 6.0's with a 4l80e used the flat one, and it had a
400ths spacer bet the crank and flywheel-350's, 400's, 4l80e's, and i think 700r's fit up with these, only thing to ck is the converter holes(my 400 conv. fit up w/o any problem)
with the curved(or pancake) flywheel, used on most 5.3's and 4l60e trans, i think you need a spacer on the trans side of the flywheel, that matches up to the converter hub(correct me if i am wrong)
i think they all use the same starter, but not sure
kind of like the old gen 1, 2 diff flywheels for diff appls.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You will need to either use the spacer with the dished flex or the spacer with the straight flexplate. The dished plate requires the converter holes to be elongated while the straight plate will bolt right up...... Or you can buy the tci plate that has both the narrow and wide bolt patterns and includes the spacer for the non ls converters
http://tci.carshopinc.com/product_in...d/80694/399753
Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Default SO all i need is...

The only adapter that i need if i have the flat flywheel, is the one that connects to the torque converter and i don't need a flywheel spacer. Cuz i have been given a 3/8 inch spacer for the flywheel that i don't think i need and the spacer that i believe you guys have been referring to. Am i understanding you guys correctly. Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you will get the flexplate in the link below, the only thing you will need to do is use the Hughes spacer on the convertor hub. This is the curved flexplate and has two convertor patterns.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SFI-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

The factory LSx crank (not including early 6.0s) have a .400 shorter crank then a normal chevy motor. The LSx converters have a longer snout. If you use a regular converter, it will bolt up (given you have the curved flexplate) but the converter will not be supported and centered by the crank. The spacer esentially extends the crank to properly support the converter. Without this, there really is no way of centering the converter and trans damage will occur. The Hughes spacer does this quite nicely.

Quick Reply: LS1 and th350 transmission in 69 chevelle