Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who here has used motor plates for their swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who here has used motor plates for their swap?

Alright here's the deal, we're down to final hours on our ls1 swap. Its pretty simple really, 00 ls1 into 91 240sx. Obvious situation...no good mount kits available so we design our own. We used front motor plate for universal apps then cut it to our frame rail contour. We then made custom rear transmission mount that mimic's the design of motor plates. We opted for no mid-plate and thats what I'm kind of getting scared about right now. Here's an idea of how our setup is...

Transmission mounts

Motor plates

these are motor plate mounting backers, they're attached to frame rail which has steel inserts inside of it to spread the force it receives out and not focus it into one area...

most motor plates are designed to use the 3 water pump housing bolts on each side, i can't even begin to understand how that works (its just not enough bolt imo). what we did is we designed very sturdy steel 90s in some of the bigger castings on the block and gave each motor plate 2 extra very strong and sturdy bolts. they're caphead bolts you can see them in the picture kind of.

basically what i'm trying to figure out is...should we even worry about a mid-plate? this isn't some 500+ hp motor so its not like its gonna try to rock the cradle in there. I just wanna make sure what we're using right now won't massively fail. any help or insight into this situation would be awesome guys, thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Looks good. I see no reason for a mid-plate.

Andrew

Quick Reply: who here has used motor plates for their swap?