Sponsored by:

A new guy with a lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new guy with a lot of questions

Hello,

I'm a new member that has just discovered LS1tech.com. I own a 1966 Chevelle that I am researching transplanting an LS1 with a 4L60E to replace a plain Jane 327 and TH 350. I will be in here often. I just had several questions to start off with.

1. Has anyone out there transplanted an LS1 into a Chevelle and what problems/solutions did you have?

2. Are there any aftermarket headers that will fit into a Chevelle that cost less than $800 or will I be required to use C5 shorty style headers?

3. I know Year One sells retrofit LS1 motor mounts for a 1967-1969 Camaro. Would those motor mounts fit into the Chevelle?

4. Is it better to rebuild the transmission with high performance clutches and valve body modifications or to have the computer reprogrammed to increase line pressure and shift timing?

5. Is the LS1 edit software difficult to use and learn?

6. How big of a cam can you go with using stock heads?

7. Which would be better? An inline fuel pump or an in tank pump, and why?

That should take car of my first tyraid of questions. I'll have more in the future as I research this. Please forgive me if some of these questions have been answered before. Thank you in advance for all of your time.

Thanks again,

Kevin C
Old 08-11-2003, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: A new guy with a lot of questions

There is a Hybrid/Conversion section here. You might find some people in there who can better answer your questions.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

The 69 Camaro mounts may work since they both were originally offered with the Gen 1 small block. Depends more on the year than car for fitment. In 1966 Chevy used a solid mount on the frame and rubber mount on the engine, thethey switched to the solid mount on the engine and used a rubber mount sandwiched between metal plates on the frame for safety reasons. The engine could no longer break free from the frame and cause the throttle linkage to get stuck at full throttle when the engine flopped up. I think that that may have changed in 1968 or so, at least in the Chevelles. Camaros may have the newer style in 67. You may have troiuble with the oil pan hitting the cross member, not sure. I would recomend a transmission rebuild with better partts and also a programmer to change the shift patterns for the better. AS far as the Edit, I haven't used one personally, but is very popular, must be fairly easy to use since it sells so well and is recomended. The rest I can't help you with. If no one else has done it, you may be the guinea pig. I know I have seen someone on here put a LS1 in a G body Monte SS, which is very similar to your A body Malibu. By the way, 66 Malibus are the best looking car ever made by an american maker, except maybe a 66-67 Nova and 63-67 Vette. I have had three myself.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I was thinking the retro fit motor mounts should work also. All of the older small and big blocks are pretty much interchangeable with the exception of oil pans. I'm aware of the oil pan fitment problems that Chevelles have, but is there a manufacturer that makes an oil pan that would allow for an LS1 transplant into a Chevelle so I wouldn't have to customize the stock pan? Who transplanted the LS1 into the Monte Carlo? Would you know if he had oil pan problems? I think there is someone transplanted an LS1 into a 1968-9(?) Chevelle. I know engines fit the same from 1964-1972 Chevelles. On the 66 there is a bell crank that the gas pedal is hooked up to that moves a throttle rod that connects to the carburetor. What would I do to fit a throttle cable? Is the PRNDL switch mounted on the 4L60E? What type of aftermarket shifter would you recommend? There is a guy on chevelles.com that fitted a 95 Impala gas tank under a Chevelle. Would an LT1 fuel pump provide enough pressure and volume for an LS1? I have to agree with your comments about the 66 Malibu/Chevelle. The only problem I have is about 90% of them are blue including mine. My wife wants to get a 66 Nova. What a woman! Thanks again for your responses. Keep them coming!
Thanks,
Kevin C
Old 08-13-2003, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 914 Posts

This should pretty much cover it.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/70chevelle/1970ls1chevelle.htm

Andrew
Old 08-13-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

John Bzdel makes the oil pan for his monte and others. S&P will also make you one.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses again. Would you have a web address for S&P?

Thanks again,

Kevin C
Old 08-15-2003, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

that is it above. www.Hotrodland.cc

Old 08-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Teching In

I'm putting an LS1 into a 72 Chevelle Wagon. At the time there was few alternatives to notching the cross member and I had no access or skills for welding. Everything had to be bolt-on. So I purchased the high mount ALT/AC brackets from S&P. The mounts look great, but very expensive as the cheapest are polished and I had them modify my oil pan and pickup tube. I was concerned that the pickup was too low in the pan (probably because I still kept the crank cover tray on) and although S&P did a great job of welding I thought the bottom was too long by about 1/2 an inch. It clears the cross member but a chamber at the weld would have made fitment a heck of a lot easier.

Quick Reply: A new guy with a lot of questions