Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More wiring questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More wiring questions!

I am installing an LS1 into a '90 300ZX, We have finished with the tranny mount, the motor mounts and the exhaust. We are now working on the wiring. I have most of the essential wiring done, but was wondering....when wiring up the ignition switch...must you use the f body starter relay and starter relay switch? Because if i can just run a fused 12V lead to the ignition switch and then from there...once in the Start position have that power go to the fuse box/fuse it/ then to the starter solenoid to start the car...would that work as well?? Hot lead--->ign fuse---->ign switch (start)--->starter fuse---->starter solenoid.... Does that make sense?? And can i also do the same with the fuel pump...ie run a 12V fused lead to that in order to get that to operate without a relay.....? Just trying to make this as easy as possible!
Old 08-12-2003, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 914 Posts

Default Re: More wiring questions!

I can't answer the first part of the questions, but I know you have to use a relay for the fuel pump. The leads coming from the computer are not designed for a load that is required by the fuel pump. The fuel pump leads are there to close the a relay, thus energizing the pump.

Andrew
Old 08-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: More wiring questions!

You don't have to use the FBody relays/switches, but if you have them, you may as well. You do of course need to get rid of VATS somehow though regardless.

Orange PCM wires need constant 12v+. Pinks need 12V+ in ON and START. These should all be run thru 5amp fuses.

So, 12V+ -> 5amp fuse -> Orange wires
There's a green fuelpump wire that needs to control a relay (+ side of relay switching lead), 20amp on my setup. The swithed side of the relay gets 12V+ always on.
Then 12v+ -> 5amp fuse -> ign. switch ON/START (which is distinct from acc. which go OFF in START) -> pink wires.
Then 12v+ - 10amp (or whatever) fuse to ign. switch START to Relay. Relay has the heavy (switched) end attached to the Purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

I may be glossing over something there, but I don't think so.

As to fans, the PCM wires (green and blue, high and low) go to the grounds of the respective fan relays which need tobe fat *** 40amp units. Mine use a common 12v+ 50amp fused source since I have a single 2speed Taurus fan.