Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into Jet Boat??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...the time has come. I bought something a lot bigger....288 Sunsation, so the Avenger is up for sale. Had a LOT of fun in this boat, and it's a crowd pleaser, but I gotta let it go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...5-avenger.html
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge
Well...the time has come. I bought something a lot bigger....288 Sunsation, so the Avenger is up for sale. Had a LOT of fun in this boat, and it's a crowd pleaser, but I gotta let it go.

Fine boat! I gotta ask though, why is the steering wheel on the "American" side? All other U.S. boats I've seen have the wheel on the "Euro" side. Just curious...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the upgrade. How long until its LSx powered . I may be swapping a LS into my jetboat sooner than I thought as I am already having problems with the 400 sbc I just put in.

As for the steering wheel its a performance boat thing. Most production mainstream boats have the wheel on the right side so that its easier to dock with only the driver in the boat. The smaller volume custom performance boat builders usually put the wheel on the left side cause they couldn`t care less about docking and with a propeller driven boat putting the driver to the left helps to cancel out the prop torque, plus he is also closer to the center of the waterway that way.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
Congrats on the upgrade. How long until its LSx powered . I may be swapping a LS into my jetboat sooner than I thought as I am already having problems with the 400 sbc I just put in.

As for the steering wheel its a performance boat thing. Most production mainstream boats have the wheel on the right side so that its easier to dock with only the driver in the boat. The smaller volume custom performance boat builders usually put the wheel on the left side cause they couldn`t care less about docking and with a propeller driven boat putting the driver to the left helps to cancel out the prop torque, plus he is also closer to the center of the waterway that way.

......ANDDDD they usually have a gas pedal.It would be a little difficult to mount a foot throttle on the right hand side of the boat
Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes and no, most of the higher performance bass boats have a hot foot and they are right hand side drive. Actually I have a hot foot in my jet boat and you can tell its designed to be mounted in a bass boat on the right side. I have the cable in the lower position and it still is 3" to 4" off the floor, I always have to make an effort to step over the cable as I get into the drivers seat. If I had a proper jetboat foot throttle the cable would come out against the floor that way it wouldnt be a trip hazard when mounted toward the center of the boat.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

X2. My hydrostream was RHD with a hotfoot
Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge

As someone who's done the swap (twice) - you'd be very hard pressed to duplicate that Avenger any cheaper.

You gonna swap the Sunsation or leave it alone until it has a bad day?

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Fine boat! I gotta ask though, why is the steering wheel on the "American" side? All other U.S. boats I've seen have the wheel on the "Euro" side. Just curious...
It's a "manly" boat thing...

Ha ha - just kidding...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The weight of the driver on the right side counteracts the torque of right hand rotation props on outboards, inboards, and I/Os. Jet boats dont have to deal with that level of torque. You'll also find a right/left mix on cats, since their wide stance doesn't result in the boats attitude changing much.
Then there were the 50-60s chris crafts with the front take off inboards where they put the driver on the left, but that's probably more info than you want...
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think i'll leave the Sunny alone for awhile...but when upgrade time comes, you never know! LSx > 496 BBC
Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 184 Likes on 121 Posts

Sorry for the hijack but this is a boat thread!

Worked on the boat a little more last weekend. 1997 Ski Centurion with a 5.3, Z06 cam/springs, ported TB. Running Marine Power exhaust manifolds/risers. I have a hookup on the Marine Power stuff.

Getting there. Still working on wiring harness, coil pack relocation, belt routing, and other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails LSx into Jet Boat??-frontengine1.jpg   LSx into Jet Boat??-frontengine.jpg   LSx into Jet Boat??-leftsideeng.jpg   LSx into Jet Boat??-rightsideeng.jpg   LSx into Jet Boat??-reareng.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

What raw water pump? Are you running open or closed cooling?

Originally Posted by gnx7

Worked on the boat a little more last weekend. 1997 Ski Centurion with a 5.3, Z06 cam/springs, ported TB. Running Marine Power exhaust manifolds/risers. I have a hookup on the Marine Power stuff.

Getting there. Still working on wiring harness, coil pack relocation, belt routing, and other stuff.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7

PM sent to you...
Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 184 Likes on 121 Posts

My setup is an open cooling system. It will see only lake/river driving and no brackish type water ever. That being said my local performance boat guy said it should last a very very long time even though it isn't all iron. Will this engine last 5 years..... yes. 10 years.... most likely 15 years.... some corrosion issues with the aluminum for sure. But when cylinder heads are about $100/pair used.... who cares.

The raw water pump is from Crusader. Bolted right up and included a serpentine large diameter pulley. We cut the lower part of the stock truck alternator mount with a band saw so the raw water pump would bolt up. The portion we removed would normally hold the P/S pump for the truck. It is not needed and is still well braced with just the upper half of it.

If anyone has a well priced TVS1900 or 2300 series supercharger..... please ping me

This boat also had trim tabs added and a self contained hydraulic steering setup from the previous owner. It came with a 350.... then he commissioned a 502 to be installed.... I finally bought it with no motor and all the goodies on it with the intention of doing an LSx swap.

Last edited by gnx7; 07-24-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Gnx7 you should start a new build thread. (just cause this will be in an enclosed compartment and efi)
Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Yep, I heard it too. Then saw them eat crow with the baby 5.7 LS1 - now with the 383 I hear nothing but crickets.

Anyway, I'm wanting to go back to EFI - but I wasn't sure how to do the fuel system with twin tanks. I'm wondering if I can just Y for the feed and return; or if that's a no-no. The feed and return remote selector is like ~$550.

On a side note - did you modify your own harness; or just buy one? Also, did you keep the factory water temp and oil pressure senders; or is that info the computer doesn't need?
The part that you need to do this is called a "pollak valve" . It will switch the entire fuel system with one button . Same thing as the Ford trucks that used to have two tanks .
Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Well im back to deciding on a LS.. haha.

anyway had another BBC in the boat.. but now its broke.

So i found some PCM 6.0 exhaust manifolds with risers on ebay, and picked those up.

now im just looking to find a good buy on a LS LQ4 6 liter.. any suggestions ?

Plan to keep the engine simple, just a Cam install id like to keep iot EFI, but i need someone to tune it.
Help there would really help.

Any help on what would be a Good Cam for this na..
might look for some 243 heads to up comp too..

Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Well i ended up buying a 5.3, supossed to have around 76K on it, i gotta get a starter, alt, and the ECU..

So have to go pick it up next weekend friday,
the PCM manifolds are shipped prolly here mon-wed
Gotta figure out what CAM i need to run
Ordered LS6 Yellow Springs. there Shipped

pictures soon
Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'm still looking manifolds and risors, how much did you find them for?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Teching In

I paid alil over 400..
THere like 265 mani, and 160 riser new each..
Figured i better jump on the one i got.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Was wondering if I can get some cam Help
Its gonna be a stock 5.3, going in a jet boat.
I plan to keep the Truck intake to help with low end torque.
will be EFI, stock internals, LS6 yellow springs RPM range would prolly be limited to around 5k due to the hp tq numbers, could maybe switch impellers to get more RMP
Would like it to build torque around 1500rpm and peak around 4k 4.5k.
exhaust will be water cooled manifolds to 3" tubes out the back

Last thing the cam for this na, build how turbo friendly would it be, i plan to upgrade to a turbo next year., and wouod like to not have to buy another cam then.

Thanks

Quick Reply: LSx into Jet Boat??