Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into Jet Boat??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Krom
No need to run marine starters, alternators or hard lines, every boat ever built uses rubber hose from the fill port to the tank, and from the tank to the engine.
If you have ever disassembled a marine starter, alternator or distributor you will notice that they have shielded any spark source either by completely sealing it in, or with mesh screens so that it cannot ignite fuel vapors.

Yes, most boats do run rubber hose both on the fill side and between the tank and motor, but that is (or at least was from the MFG) USCG approved marine hose (can`t remember if the spec is a double wall or tripple wall). But none the less I would recommend hardline in a retrofit EFI boat, because the common USCG approved hose is not rated for EFI pressure. I`m sure there is rubber USCG approved EFI spec marine hose because there are production EFI boats now, I`m sure it would be very difficult to find someone who stocks it.

I will say that I know people who have run boats without the proper marine components and I have ridden in their boats and did live, I will not say that is the correct thing to do, or that the marine components are the same as automotive. I was never stopped by a cop to check that the boat had all marine components, but I have heard of people being stopped and ticked because their stuff wasn`t marine. If you really don`t think there is a difference just ask the insurance adjuster after there is a fire/explosion.....first thing they do is check for the certification on those parts.....and deny the claim if they are not all USCG certified.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

As G Body pointed out, use USCG approved rubber line from the tank to the pump. It will have a USCG spec printed on it.
Consult with your insurance company or policy before taking Krom's advice.
The Water Patrol around here never looks at that stuff, but the USCG has before. I'm less worried about that vs the insurance Co denyng a claim due to unapproved modifications. A boat burned on my dock last year, took out a few boats around it. That could have been really expensive if the insurance Co denied the claim....or worse if someone got hurt.

Last edited by garys 68; 04-22-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys insure your boats???? LOL.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got some parts last week. My PTO showed up. It was pretty expensive, but I am time constrained, or else i would have machined my own. It's a nice piece of hardware though. Also got some parts from Patriot that I was waiting for to get my valvetrain squared away.

Patriot Golds installed.

New Spicer driveline from Rex Marine.

Awesome! Overall length remains the same, nothing has to move, as far as engine mounting is concerned.

Going to run a liquid to air, engine oil cooler. Will mount this back, behind the engine in the transom.

Couldn't find ANYTHING in M28 threads, so i drilled and tapped the original plug, to allow me to put a ball valve on it for easy drains, and clean-outs.

Manifolds showed up!

It doesn't look like it in this photo, but those first three holes in the head line up perfectly with the mounting holes in the manifold. I have a 351C exhaust manifold gasket coming in to the parts store tomorrow, so I will get a better pic then.

It's hard to see here, but two of the holes from the LSx gasket line up with the ford manifold.

Glamor shots
The intake will more than likely be flipped 180 like it is in the second pic, once it's in the boat.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you going to use the existing oil cooler holes or an oil filter adapter?
BTW, been looking at this, it's been for sale for months:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/1707990043.html
Someone talk me out of it........
Oh yeah, anyone know if the Corvette coil/rail covers will work with the truck coils?

Last edited by garys 68; 04-24-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have two options for the oil cooler. One is using the existing holes in the GTO pan, the other is to use the adapter that bolts to the pan above the oil filter. The one i have came off of the 6.0 when I got it from the junkyard.
Not sure which way i'll go yet. I am not sure that the truck oil filter adapter will work with the GTO pan.

That old boat looks pretty rad. Wonder what kind of condition the floor/stringers are in if it's been sitting outside with no cover on it. Bummer on the jacuzzi pump, too. But for $1500 I could probably overlook a few things
Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, stringers and transom would be a deal breaker. I must admit, I'm not a jetboat guy, what's the difference in pumps?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by garys 68
Yeah, stringers and transom would be a deal breaker. I must admit, I'm not a jetboat guy, what's the difference in pumps?
You don't want the jacuzzi pump. Either Berkeley or a Dominator.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Question on oil pans, looks like you're using the GTO, front sump. Any concern about starvation on hard acceleration? Seems the combination of bow lift and acceleration might starve the front sump.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garys 68
Question on oil pans, looks like you're using the GTO, front sump. Any concern about starvation on hard acceleration? Seems the combination of bow lift and acceleration might starve the front sump.
I am not too concerned about it. The pan is very well baffled, and the bow doesn't really rise all that much on a jet-boat when you punch it to come on plane.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE: The motor is in the boat, and bolted to the stringers, and to the pump!! Also got the Hardin 351C manifolds bolted on. Pics to follow when I get a chance to upload some.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Good work here Surge. Between the group of guys we know, LSx's are taking over land and sea!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cool
Good work here Surge. Between the group of guys we know, LSx's are taking over land and sea!
Thanks Cool.

More pics and progress!

Some drilling to make the ford manifolds work.

Got the logs bolted on.

Dropping it in:

Ohhhhhhhhh yeah!

Just have some plumbing and wiring to do before she's ready to fire!!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Looking good. Those logs are gonna cost you some power though. I've got a LS1 lined up but kinda want to go with a LS2 and try the 408 route, maybe with a F1 Procharger in a 19 Daytona or Cheyenne.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Looking good. Those logs are gonna cost you some power though. I've got a LS1 lined up but kinda want to go with a LS2 and try the 408 route, maybe with a F1 Procharger in a 19 Daytona or Cheyenne.
I am not too concerned about the logs. As it is, I'm dropping a couple hundo lbs vs the big block, and this motor will be making about 100+ hp vs the 454.

Plus, the logs will be a good starting spot for a twin turbo setup if I go that route next year...
Old 05-16-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Been slowly working on this thing...hoping to fire it up later today if I can get a few more things done on it....

Started on the wiring...

Got the fuel system finished up. Ran a Bosch 044 pump, with a C5 vette filter/regulator. Ran a return line back to the tank.

Fabbing up a battery tray to mount my yellow top Optima inside the boat.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys...I bought a PTO adapter from CP Performance. It got here, and the bolt holes measure 3" center to center. My LS1 measures 3.15" center to center, so it doesn't fit. I called CP and they called the people who made it, who said the 3" center to center fit their LS1's, also CP said they sold 2 other PTO adapters and hadn't heard anything about them not fitting. They are still trying to get it figured out, so they are working with me...but in the meantime I have a boat project on hold.

Any ideas?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Teching In

This thread has been very usefull in designing the pto to my hydraulic pump. I will machine one just like the aluminum one pictured. Alot of good info in this thread.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Figured I'd close the loop on this:

Battery mounted:

Filled with the good stuff:

Cleaning up the wiring:

Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

ECM, fuse/relay block, OBD2 connector, fuel pump, fuel regulator/filter:

Quick Reply: LSx into Jet Boat??