Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into Jet Boat??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
You guys are making me feel guilty for sitting on these Hardins. I've been collecting marine parts, manifolds, mounts, transmission, etc, but just lost my job...
Don't feel "guilty". Once you get "back on your feet"jobwise, you'll be glad you kept them. When I lost my job where I was before now (which I hated the people but loved having access to a well equipted fab shop) I wasn't sure what to do. LUCK was on my side as I found a MUCH better job within a month.

GOOD luck in your search dude !!!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Jimbo, there's the problem, I'm planning on taking the summer off and drinking captain and cokes at the lake....then doing some traveling...then maybe look for a job next year.....
Formula, got your message, just wondering if I should start a new project. Give me few days to think about it.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimbo, there's the problem, I'm planning on taking the summer off and drinking captain and cokes at the lake....then doing some traveling...then maybe look for a job next year.....
Formula, got your message, just wondering if I should start a new project. Give me few days to think about it.
No problem...let me know when you decide!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge

Wrenching party.....aka "The Fastest Cam Swap Ever", haha.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a set of Hardin 351C manifolds and have snails on the way as well. Gonna drill my heads to make these fit, as I've seen done before.

Will post more pics of my progress soon. I think i also found a cheap set of 243 heads, so I may swap those on too, in order to bump up the compression from 9.5 to 10.5.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

I bought a set of Hardin 351C manifolds and have snails on the way as well. Gonna drill my heads to make these fit, as I've seen done before.

Will post more pics of my progress soon. I think i also found a cheap set of 243 heads, so I may swap those on too, in order to bump up the compression from 9.5 to 10.5.

Any chance you bought those from Tom @ JBP?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Those are nice clean ones too. How much did they cost you?
And let me know where you got the risers.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Any chance you bought those from Tom @ JBP?
Yep, sure did. I put a feeler out on performanceboats.com awhile back and he PM'd me about a set he had. Decided to pick them up so I could keep moving on my project.

Those are nice clean ones too. How much did they cost you?
And let me know where you got the risers.
I got them for $400. I picked up the risers from a member on performanceboats for $75 shipped.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

When you get a chance, line up an exhaust manifold gasket to show the port and bolt hole spacing. I threw mine away...duh...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Yep, sure did. I put a feeler out on performanceboats.com awhile back and he PM'd me about a set he had. Decided to pick them up so I could keep moving on my project.

I got them for $400. I picked up the risers from a member on performanceboats for $75 shipped.
Hilarious...I was going to buy them on Thursday...but he said someone else was first in line! Must've been you!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you get a chance, line up an exhaust manifold gasket to show the port and bolt hole spacing. I threw mine away...duh...
Man...I was hoping you would be able to do that for me...lol. I am not sure if I should use an LS gasket or a ford gasket yet. Will make the call when they show up.

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Hilarious...I was going to buy them on Thursday...but he said someone else was first in line! Must've been you!
LOL, small world. Sorry dude. I hear that schoenfield headers may be looking into making LSx Jet Boat OT headers sometime soon. If that is the case, these may be up for sale later this summer.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Well.....if you promise not to make fun of me....
This is the kind of project I was going with an all aluminum L33, crash box, lightweight setup. But it's a little too far away to check out.....
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/1681620715.html
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Well.....if you promise not to make fun of me....
This is the kind of project I was going with an all aluminum L33, crash box, lightweight setup. But it's a little too far away to check out.....
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/1681620715.html
That thing is sweet! I've always wanted a Chris Craft mahogany boat. I found one not too far from where I live...but the wood is almost totally shot, so I couldn't figure out what I was actually buying!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys really should run a thermostat, without one you will have lots of problems with run quality from too cold an engine, and a water circulating pump to keep steam pockets and hot spots from ruining a head.
The plumbing is real simple, cold water from the jet pump runs into the thermostat housing, there are 3 outputs from the thermostat housing, one to each exhaust manifold, and one to the input of the circulating pump.
When the thermostat is closed all the cold water goes to exhaust manifolds, when the thermostat opens cold water goes into the engine and the warm goes to the manifolds.
Attached Thumbnails LSx into Jet Boat??-waterflow.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I was planning either no water pump but running a thermostat in a preheat setup, or closed cooling with a water pump.
I know a lot of the jetboats get by without a thermostat, but when the water is cold here in MO, it's hard to get the oil up to temp. I've had a lot of luck with the preheat setups with a pressure relief bypass and thermostat.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am not too concerned about running without a thermostat. I will adjust the tune to work with a cooler ECT, and run a ball valve on the water inlet to throttle the flow to the engine. My 454 ran just fine with this setup....I am not too worried about it. If it becomes a problem, I will address it at that time.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

picked up a '97 Ski Centurion Elite with my buddy off a shop that pulled the custom installed 502 to install into another boat. Has a wakeboard tower, barefoot boom, upgraded stereo, and seating for 9! Color isn't my favorite but we got it for a good deal.

We are planning to do a 6.0 truck motor, Z06 cam/springs/ported TB. Hoping for 425hp/425 ft/lbs+ from it.
GTO oil pan should provide the clearance we need.

Stock LS1 manual flywheel bolts up to the splined adapter plate that mates up to the BorgWarner direct drive prop setup. Bellhousing is BBC/SBC and mates up fine. Motor mounts from the BBC came with the boat and should work for our application running adapter plates.

Just need to convert it to fuel injection with a return line on the tank and we intend to run a Vette FPR with 340 Walbro pump. 87 octane is gonna be nice

We have a marine alternator that came with it. Do we need to run a marine starter? If so... why? Less electrical arcing to prevent fuel vapor explosion?
Attached Thumbnails LSx into Jet Boat??-skiboat-006.jpg   LSx into Jet Boat??-skiboat-010.jpg  
Old 04-21-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's a damn good looking boat, gnx7. Can't wait to see it come along.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, enclosed compartments need spark arrested starters and alternators. The starter can be bought as a stock part from crusader. Last I checked, they were not a lot more than the auto starter.
I would also suggest hard lines for all pressurized fuel line. USCG requirements are based on burn time for pressurized components. Although yours wont be USCG tested, it will follow the general industry practice.
Just good ideas in case of an "incident".
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to run marine starters, alternators or hard lines, every boat ever built uses rubber hose from the fill port to the tank, and from the tank to the engine.

Quick Reply: LSx into Jet Boat??