Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Has Made Their Own Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
.. there's no way it should cost $2-300 for what I did lol, ..
You're not going to get 100 phone calls from the guy you just sold it to asking all kinds of questions either.

Selling a harness is as much a service as it is a product.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it true that changing the length of (some?) sensor wires will have an effect on the signal?

Guess I'm asking if it's ok to splice in some wire in order to lengthen some of them?

Thanks,
Andy1
Old 06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's fine to splice in some extra wire as long as you solder and heat shrink the connections.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about $300 to do the job but I did take my time and ensure every wire I pulled was not going to affect the way the car runs. I believe I have done it correct and it was not that big of a job. I just took up most of my garage floor, turned the radio on, laptop on, and started pulling wires out of the connectors, then out of the harnesses. It took me about 5 hours at least to get all the wires out and get the harness back into the loom like I wanted it and taped back together. Not a bad days playing. I am sure if you did a few harnesses you could start to make up a lot of time and have a harness done in an hour or so.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe I am okay with my homemade harness. The battery must have a dead cell because it turns so slowly. That will be exchanged this week and should be ready to go. I could not wait to try it and for that I got a surprise when it hit and ran for about 3 seconds or so. I am well pleased since I worked through this harness using the stickies and PCM printouts. It works and there is no garbage left in the harness that is not being used.

Here is a video of my test fire this weekend.

Test Fire

Quick Reply: Who Has Made Their Own Wiring Harness