Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your motor is bone stock right now right? Have they developed a perfromance cam for the vvt motor yet? Might be tough to make it work with the DOD.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it's pretty much bone-stock right now. The only departures from stock are ARP rod bolts that I put in, an L76 (car type) intake manifold & a custom 4" cold-air setup that pulls fresh air from outside of the engine compartment. (I'm guessing that last item could be good for around 8 hp or so...)

I'm probably going to just get stock F-body exhaust manifolds for the short term, & build the headers over the winter. That'll allow me to RE-use the manifolds when I swap a 5.3 into my wife's RS (she doesn't know about that swap yet!).

And yes, Mast Motorsports & Comp Cams do make performance cams for the VVT engines, & the potential there is downright NUTS - check out this article for an idea...

"The L92 truck motor is incredibly impressive, making 400 SAE corrected horsepower stock and 430 hp with headers," he began. "With one of our cams and the phaser limiter kit, we made 500 hp, and it did not lose power anywhere. It's a great cylinder head, then you add the variable valve timing."

"With the cam phaser, you can advance or retard the cam centerline to the position it runs best at each rpm. That's cool, really cool. You can get a 60-plus horsepower gain, with no loss anywhere."

-Billy Godbold, Comp Cams
Bet you can guess what I'll be asking Santa for this year...

EDIT: And in related news... We might just have an idea now what the next step in LS engine development could be like... (I found that when looking for the link above.)

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-24-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Interesting data-point
Old 08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Both articles are def a good read. I hope they dont screw up a good thing by going ohc like ford did. If it is as innovative as the ls we have nothing to worry about. The info on the vvt was awesome and honestly makes good sense. Hopefully santa hooks you up this year LOL. Arent the l92 ports the same as the regular ls? I thought there were already swap headers availible for the 3rd gen. Out of curiosity how much did your 6.2 cost you as long as your wife isnt listening of course. I assume some tuning will really wake up the 6.2 since it doesnt have to haul around 5k lb of truck anymore.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

cool project cant wait to see it rollin, I had a 87 T/A that now my son owns and I'm looking at a 91 GTA that can be had reasonable - must resist temptation
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I meant to ask before does your motor have dod or just vvt? Rereading that is somewhat funny... Dont forget xyz. Im drunk.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build. I had an 89 GTA t top with the 305. I loved that car. I wore it out. I want to see some video once you get it going.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oops - I thought that I'd already responded to a couple of these... Sorry guys, my bad...

Originally Posted by topher455
Both articles are def a good read. I hope they dont screw up a good thing by going ohc like ford did. If it is as innovative as the ls we have nothing to worry about.
Well, that's kind of a mixed bag, I guess. There are probably benefits to be had, & GM's engineers are as good as anyone's - but I just don't prefer the added complexity. More parts/subsystems frequently means more things to go wrong.

Of course if I really felt that way, I'd be driving a flathead...

The info on the vvt was awesome and honestly makes good sense. Hopefully santa hooks you up this year LOL.
Thanks. Given our finances right now, it doesn't seem too likely, but I can hope!

Arent the l92 ports the same as the regular ls?
Nope, not at all! They're basically similar to rectangle-port big-block Chevy heads, although the entrance into the cylinder is different. These heads -bone stock- flow about 320 cfm @ .550 lift, so the net effect is sort of like having big-block capacity in a compact & lightweight package.

I thought there were already swap headers available for the 3rd gen. Out of curiosity how much did your 6.2 cost you as long as your wife isnt listening of course.
Yeah, there are swap headers available, but I just choke on the price - they're around $850. I remember spending $450 (+ the cost of Jet-Hot coating) on the SLP headers that I used to have on the car, & I swore I'd never do that again.

And no worries on the cost thing, we discussed it before I bought it - I paid $3500 for the engine, which I didn't think was half-bad, since it's brand-new (0 miles) & I was able to get some of that back by selling things like the oil pan, intake manifold, etc.

I assume some tuning will really wake up the 6.2 since it doesnt have to haul around 5k lb of truck anymore.
Yeah, I'm sure hoping so. I know that there's a pretty fair bit of potential locked inside - I just can't afford to do too much (at the moment) to unlock it!

Originally Posted by zman1969
cool project can't wait to see it rollin, I had a 87 T/A that now my son owns and I'm looking at a 91 GTA that can be had reasonable - must resist temptation
Thanks. I'd love to have a '91-'92 GTA. I used to hate the shape of that nose, now I LOVE it. Go ahead & get it!

I meant to ask before does your motor have dod or just vvt? Rereading that is somewhat funny... Dont forget xyz. Im drunk.
Heh - it just has VVT. I know that a number of people have thought that it has both, but AFAIK, it's just the VVT.

I'm still trying to find out about what's needed to add a power-adder to this engine (ha! I need to save up just to add a cam!), so the added tuning complexity of the AFM is something that I'm OK with not having...

Originally Posted by zeake
Awesome build. I had an 89 GTA t-top with the 305. I loved that car. I wore it out. I want to see some video once you get it going.
COUNT on it! I've already thought of different things I can do with that - but I need to concentrate on finishing the project before doing anything else...

Thanks for the interest guys.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew the intake ports were hella different but I didnt realize the exhaust port spacing was different requiring a different header to be used. I guess I should have specified. As far as the money thing I feel ya. I dont think the brick will be mobile until the holidays. At least is runs though.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whoops, I forgot to address that part. I'm pretty sure that the spacing on the exhaust ports is the same as the "regular" LS-type engines, so the existing headers should work - I just can't bring myself to spend that much on just a set of headers. And since I've done the math, I'm just going to build a set that are exactly what I'm wanting. Should make for a decent winter project (once I develop a bit of skill at welding, that is...).
Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just practice on some junk tubing before you weld em up. I've been welding for years and I still do it so I have the heat and feed settings correct before junking my new pipe. Look at my thread for the Brick. Those turbo headers are my first set. Just take your time. Also get a junk head to set on the work bench for your fabricating it will be invaluable.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Ive been reading this thread for 3 hrs, all I have to say is... I honestly don't know, Awesome build, I hope you get to drive it before the winter, just nice
Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I thought that I'd have some good progress to report by now, but I've been spending all of my time working. Feeling a little bit guilty for taking this weekend off, but man, stuff around the house needs to get done before winter too...

Not a LOT of progress to report yet, but I finally decided to just pop the A-arms off & replace the ball joints as long as it's already apart this far... (C'mon guys, all of you already know this chorus, so say it with me - "As long as I'm here, I MIGHT AS WELL..") I swear, this build has just about become the very definition of "mission creep"...

(On the plus? side, I'm going to have at least a passing familiarity with just about every freakin' bolt on the car...!)

In the latest stanza of this song, I've decided that I probably ought to replace the A-arm bushings as well - but I'll just be using the stock rubber replacements, not any overpriced aftermarket pieces.

Just practice on some junk tubing before you weld em up. I've been welding for years and I still do it so I have the heat and feed settings correct before junking my new pipe. Look at my thread for the Brick. Those turbo headers are my first set. Just take your time.
VERY cool man, thank you for the tips, I'll do that!

Also get a junk head to set on the work bench for your fabricating, it will be invaluable.
That sounds like a great idea, thanks Topher. I've even thought about creating a movable stand to bolt the junk head to so that I can work around it more than having it just sit on the bench - think that's worthwhile??

Originally Posted by Firehawk896
Ive been reading this thread for 3 hrs, all I have to say is... I honestly don't know, Awesome build, I hope you get to drive it before the winter, just nice
Very cool, thank you! And is the car in your avatar a genuine Firehawk?? (I'm not jealous!) Those are sweet as hell...!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Very cool, thank you! And is the car in your avatar a genuine Firehawk?? (I'm not jealous!) Those are sweet as hell...![/QUOTE]

Well not exactly...lol I chose the name before I knew there was a car called a Firehawk

Having just searched that, They started making Firehawks in '91 - 8 of them, and 92' - 17 of em

But I could say its a Firehawk with an 86 bumper and GTA rims

Last edited by Firehawk896; 09-13-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
And no worries on the cost thing, we discussed it before I bought it - I paid $3500 for the engine, which I didn't think was half-bad, since it's brand-new (0 miles) & I was able to get some of that back by selling things like the oil pan, intake manifold, etc.
Wow, that was a great deal! The guy who sold you that deserves at least partial credit on this spectacular build, right?

Or maybe I should just get some effort into completing my own project...
Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Wow, that was a great deal! The guy who sold you that deserves at least partial credit on this spectacular build, right?
True enough, true enough... I certainly couldn't have done this without you being quick-thinking enough (& entrepreneurial enough) to have snagged the engines up & offering them up to us...
I'm sure I'll be mentally thanking you every time I wind it out past 5000 too...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really didnt need a stand for fabrication but they were forward facing headers. Allthough the last 2 sets of lt's I did were kind of a pita. I say anything that makes it easier on you will yield a better finished product.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

cool build
Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aggravated tonight...

Sometimes it seems that this swap is just fighting me for every inch of progress...

I'd decided that I wanted to try & get the car on the road before the bad weather hits, so I got a pair of F-body exhaust manifolds, since bolting those up would be a lot quicker than building headers. Got them mocked up the other day. I had a little bit of time today, so I thought that I'd work on some of the "more major" electrical components. Bolted the starter up loosely & discovered that the pass. side exh. manifold was just about pointing right at the starter motor. (That area's getting distinctly tight lately...) Well, it's a mini-starter that allows you to re-clock it in any of five positions, each one about 20 degrees apart, so I pulled it back down & adjusted it so that the starter motor was tucked in more closely to the block. Held it back up there, & all looks good now.

Except that it won't bolt up. Tried it again. And again. Tried different angles, everything I could think of. Finally brought a bit more light over, & discovered that the crankshaft position sensor is sticking out just far enough to keep the inboard starter mounting bolt from being able to line up...

At that point I just moved on to something else so that I could TRY to say that I made a little bit of "forward motion" today. (And, in all honesty, I did make a little bit.) But I swear, with all the time I wasted on that, it feels like some days it's just not worth gnawing through the restraints to get out there to work on it...
Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hang in there. I know the feeling. Im sure most people in this section do too. Im having clutch pedal fun right now. The real funny part is I already built a set before and sold them.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, I'm not taking it too seriously, I know that it's all just part of the process. I'm not denying that I was aggravated, but after thinking about it a bit, I'm thinking that I'll just return the starter to it's original configuration & oval the exhaust tubing a bit right there. That's going to be a LOT easier than trying to make the starter & the sensor coexist in the same physical space... And even though I hate exhaust wrap, I think I'll use a little bit of it there, just to minimize the heat that the starter's exposed to...

The only thing that really bugs me is all of the time that these things are taking...

Quick Reply: VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)