Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iansane
Why not wait until your DS is in and everything?
Just wasn't 100% sure that I could fill it through the shifter hole - and I didn't want to discover that I couldn't once it was already lifted & bolted into place...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up *FINALLY* - some solid progress!!

I've finally gotten a few blocks of time to work on the GTA again over the last 3 or 4 days, & with the help of my Dad & my "best local F-bud" Mark, we were able to get the transmission in tonight! Feels freakin' outstanding to have one of the last major mechanical hurdles out of the way. (It was also pretty cool to learn that the shifter hole that I cut in the tranny tunnel was just about 98% on-target - I just need to trim a tiny bit more toward the passenger side. Thanks for the great measurement Ghettocruiser!!)

Now, if I can continue to have just a little bit of free time over the next month or so, I MIGHT actually have a prayer of driving the car again before the snow flies! (Which would be really nice, since it's been immobile for close to two years now...)

Ordinarily I'd post a bunch of progress pictures, but 2 or 3 weeks ago an electrical strike from a thunderstorm went right through my UPS & blew my desktop machine to hell, so I've been using my laptop for all of my 'net stuff - & something about my laptop & my SD card-reader don't get along...

But, I have been taking pictures all along, so one way or another I'll get 'em posted up here pretty soon...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey TK,

Did you make a decision on wheels? You won't hear me say this much (especially about wheels) but GM hit a home-run on the styling of GTAs. I would keep those stockers on it! If it were mine I would black them out, but gold is OK also.

Congrats on the progress!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Shaun, thanks a bunch. I won't be in the market for wheels for a little while, & I'm like you - I really like the styling of the ones I have now, I just wish I could get 'em in 17s. But, with the weight jack system I'm installing, I should be able to drop the car a bit, & reduce the fender gap that you see in my signature pic...
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

I like the GTA wheels as well Lovin' your swap here and on thirdgen.org
Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Thanks 3.1 - you've got a great-looking car (I'm not biased!!) & I hope you can get lots of fun out of it...

Well, I'm not sure if the stars just lined up correctly, or what, but I've finally gotten the SD card reader to work with my Linux laptop, so here are the pics that I wanted to post last night... Going from left to right, they are:

1 - The transmission all ready to go in, with remote bleeder line attached;

2 - The transmission - finally bolted in!

3 - The shifter hole that I cut before mounting the transmission, based on measurements that I got from ghettocruiser - not too shabby for "directions over the internet", huh?? I just need to clean it up a little bit on the passenger side, & I think I'll be good to go!
Attached Thumbnails VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)-ready2go.jpg   VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)-t56_in.jpg   VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)-shifter_hole.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Teching In

nice work mate, she's gettin closer to being done. I like the GTA wheels too, I only changed mine because I wanted to run bigger brakes.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GTA wheels are awesome. I had four fronts on my regal but 16" tire sizes are so limited so on went 17's which are still somewhat limited. Great plan huh?! Im starting to catch up to you btw the new big motor and trans are going in thurs. YaY Lookin good man keep up the good work!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

I'm close to having my Firebird working with the LY6 (VVT 6.0) on factory truck electronics. Will be used with the e38 PCM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by van454
nice work mate, she's gettin closer to being done. I like the GTA wheels too, I only changed mine because I wanted to run bigger brakes.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I guess I kind of lucked out, because the brakes that I have will fit under the GTA wheels.

Been working on the car a bit as I've had time, the new job has had me putting in some 14-hr days at times, but it sure as hell beats the alternative. The other night I started trying to get everything on the underside buttoned up - final fastening of the fuel & brake lines, torque arm, driveshaft loop - and man, I've gotta tell ya, things are getting pretty tight under there as far as routing the exhaust...

EDIT: I just realized that I should probably clarify that last statement by noting that I'm hoping to use a crossmember-mounted torque arm (Trak-Pak), rather than the stock one...

I'll probably head out to work on the swap again in a few minutes, hopefully I'll be able to spend at least a couple hours on it over the weekend...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-15-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to see you are making progress! Money is holding me up at this point otherwise I think the car would be on the road already.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Have read through this entire thread over the last two days. Great thread!

Rumble, glad to hear you've landed that job, even if it is working you to death right now (14 hour days), Ha.

You have a nice car. Can't wait to hear it's on the road again. I'm really interested in the L92 engine swap. I have a '69 Camaro I hope to transplant an L92/6l80e into. I don't find a lot of these swaps so I'm subscribing to this one.

Congrats on the mag!

Dee
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Dee, Topher, thanks for the kind words!

I'm expecting a package from Jegs in the next couple of days that should allow me to finish up a couple of things, & I expect that I'll be able to post more pictures up then. As expected, I only got a couple of hours over the weekend to work on the car, but I was able to get a little bit done nonetheless.

My next course of action is to rework my clutch pedal so that the pin for the master cylinder is in the right place, once that's done I'll hang the pedals & start putting the interior back together (which I'm really looking forward to - and I suspect that my wife will be happy to have the seats out of the basement!) Once the interior's back in, I should have some pics worth posting...

Dee, post up some pics of your 1st-gen when time allows, & if I can help with any questions, I'll certainly give it a shot. I'm guessing that you'll need a bit of clearancing in the tranny tunnel, but not sure about anything else with that platform... There are several 1st-gen swaps here though, so someone should be able to provide an answer.

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mmmmm basement. That would be cool. Then I could really tear stuff apart. Lets see some new pics. Its gotta be getting close and thats when they look the best!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Hey Shaun, thanks a bunch. I'm like you - I really like the styling of the ones I have now, I just wish I could get 'em in 17s.
Keep an eye out for some old Epsilon rims. They made a variety of sizes and and I'm 90% sure they were optional on the Callaway Corvettes. Mine are 17x9.5 and the correct bolt-pattern. 4th gen/Corvette offset, but since they are true 3 piece, it's easy to get new rings made.

They are the closest thing to GTA's I could find.

Keep up the good work!

Kevin D.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those look awesome! I wish I had seen those before I got the wheels fo my Buick.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Rumble,

Here is my '69 that needs a Gen III or IV and hopefully a 6l80e (or might have to settle for a 4l80).

Hope this works! I'm not very good at it.

Where are you on your conversion? Burning up the roads yet?
Attached Thumbnails VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)-dusk-69-050.jpg   VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)-dusk-69-060.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67RS/SSx2
Rumble,

Here is my '69 that needs a Gen III or IV and hopefully a 6l80e (or might have to settle for a 4l80).
WOW... THAT is a gorgeous first-gen...!! Check your PMs.

Originally Posted by 67RS/SSx2
Where are you on your conversion? Burning up the roads yet?
Don't I WISH. Spent a bit of time on it tonight though, the package from Jegs arrived today, so I got the last piece of the fuel system about half built. I plan on working on that & the heavy-amperage wiring between now & the weekend.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you using for the fuel system btw. The factory steel lines are sufficient arent they?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, they should be, at least for the next year or two. The feed line is 3/8", return is slightly smaller at 5/16" (but it's probably less than 3' long, so that should be sufficient).

I don't remember now how much HP a 3/8" fuel line will support, but I'm fairly confident that it's at least 450, maybe 480 or so... Once I get a half-decent cam & a good tune for the cammed setup, I'll need to re-visit that again...

Quick Reply: VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)