Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Into Fox with a different approach

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008 | 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Car looks good dude! I'm going to try to get some paint on mine this weekend.I can under stand trying to do the cable set-up. But the hyd clutch is cheap and easy. no cable stretch, firewall adjuster, or quadrent to worry about.

Last edited by djquik88; 07-21-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2008 | 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Haha, thats awesome man.

Might be a way to **** off the Ford fanboys even more. Make it look like a SBF and then tell em its an LSx.
Old 07-21-2008 | 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Found more pics...here is some of the adjustable rear suspension, the roll bar, and a side shot with the Bogarts on it.

Last edited by SOM68SS; 10-13-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2008 | 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

you must be a bad *** to swap a motor in 30 min.
Old 07-21-2008 | 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
With the the engine compartment being as basic as it will be there are only 10bolts that will have to come loose. 2 engine mount, 2 tranny mount, 2 crossmember and 4 driveshaft. The only other items that would be attached are headers, fuel line connection, and radiator hoses. with as much practice as we have it should be feasable unless something out of the norm happens like broken bolt etc. i'm not saying it's 30 minutes to a t but definately less than an hour.
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:38 PM
Launching!

Sorry for all the questions, (I need to gather as much info as I can find about this type of swap, because I want to do this to my 95 )

can you post pics of the clutch fork pivot ball inside the bellhousing (if you have them), did you have to weld a nut into place there or was there a provision there already?

Also for the TKO trans, Ive seen a GM and Ford version of these TKOs offered, which one (if it makes a difference) did you use?
Does the shifter exit in the stock location?

What did you use for the flywheel and clutch assembly? Were you able to retain the mustang length driveshaft or does it need to be modified?

What style oil pan did you use?

Finally, motor mounts and K-member...im assuming its an AJE K-member for an SBC? What did you do for the actual motor mounts?? For my car, I want the motor to sit as low as I can get it, to clear the stock 95 hood (might go carb, since it seems like a more straightforward route with the 6LS box)....

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2008 | 10:34 PM
Teching In

thats badass man... good luck!
Old 08-11-2008 | 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by magic
Sorry for all the questions, (I need to gather as much info as I can find about this type of swap, because I want to do this to my 95 )

can you post pics of the clutch fork pivot ball inside the bellhousing (if you have them), did you have to weld a nut into place there or was there a provision there already?

Also for the TKO trans, Ive seen a GM and Ford version of these TKOs offered, which one (if it makes a difference) did you use?
Does the shifter exit in the stock location?

What did you use for the flywheel and clutch assembly? Were you able to retain the mustang length driveshaft or does it need to be modified?

What style oil pan did you use?

Finally, motor mounts and K-member...im assuming its an AJE K-member for an SBC? What did you do for the actual motor mounts?? For my car, I want the motor to sit as low as I can get it, to clear the stock 95 hood (might go carb, since it seems like a more straightforward route with the 6LS box)....

Thanks!
No problem with the questions. That is why I'm doing this swap in the first place to find all the in's and out's about what it takes to accomplish the swap. The only pic of the pivot stud/ clutch fork is the one I posted earlier in the thread. I just measeured a Ford TKO bellhousing and transfered the measurements to the Lakewood Unit. Then I drilled a hole to locate the pivot stud in its correct location. I used 2 nuts to space out the stud correctly. welded them together and then welded the nuts to the bellhousing. "not sure if this is making any sense or not"

The tranny is a Mustang based TKO so the mounts and shifter location is all correct.

Clutch/Flywheel is a ram powergrip HD for a LS1 F-Body and the Flywheel is Billet steel unit for the same application. The stock ford driveshaft should be able to be used " I haven't put mine in yet" but all the mounting locations are the same as the factory ones.

The Oil pan is a stock truck pan but it sits pretty low so If I had it to do over again I would try and utilize an F-body or vette pan.

K-member and mounts are an AJE unit. They use the same setup for both LSX applications as well as standard small block chevy. you just have to flip the mounts from side to side for the LSX . If you didn't understand some of my ramblings let me know and I'll try and explain better.

Good luck with the build.
Old 08-12-2008 | 09:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info!!
Im pretty sure Ill ask some more as I progress with mine!
Old 09-24-2008 | 10:39 AM
Launching!

Any new updates on this build??
Wondering how the cable clutch setup is working, along with the rest of it!
Old 09-24-2008 | 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I took a few weeks off from working on it and just started back up this week. I have installed the Roll bar "it was just sitting in there in the previous pics", and the interior should be going in tonight if it doesn't put up too much of a fight. The steering rack is hitting the oil pan so I am haveing to drop the rack mounts just a little "Probably 1/4" and then everything should be able to be bolted together. The next order of business on the clutch cable is finding a mounting location on the motor or bellhousing. The Mustangs have an existing hole on the bellhousing that the cable fits in and is held by a retaining clip to keep it in place while in motion. basically i just have to find a way to replicate it. I'll get some pics of the updates either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:57 PM
Launching!

another question...which throwout bearing did you use with the clutch setup??

How is it progressing anyways??
I bought an LQ4 6.0L for mine last week....tore it down to the basic long block earlier tonite.....I am very excited about getting mine together...its just a matter of money now! LOL
Old 10-07-2008 | 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
ive heard from some guys( one runs 4.80s) that they have seen some buddies blow 2 motors up at the track and still make it to the semi finals that night. he said it took them 55 mins on the first one and 45 on the second one.
Old 10-08-2008 | 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by magic
another question...which throwout bearing did you use with the clutch setup??

How is it progressing anyways??
I bought an LQ4 6.0L for mine last week....tore it down to the basic long block earlier tonite.....I am very excited about getting mine together...its just a matter of money now! LOL
I hear ya on the money part....that seems to be the common limitting factory for everyones build.progress is going well. I hit "the wall" several weeks back and got to where I needed to take a break from it. I have 80% of the interior in it along with the mojority of the exterior window trim repainted and installed. I'm taking it to a buddy's shop today after work "weather permitting" to weld in the rear anti-roll bar and modify the steering rack to clear the oil pan. I'll get some pics tonight.
Old 10-09-2008 | 07:55 PM
On The Tree

When are you going to come help me finish my junk? Also, what's up with the old black truck in the picture of your car on the trailer? Is it for sale? Maybe want to trade for my car?
Old 10-10-2008 | 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

I'm having a hard enough time finishing my own projects. The truck is not mine, it's a buddies that I'm helping him tinker with. I've got more pictures I just have to find time to upload them and resize them.
Old 10-13-2008 | 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Progress Updates
I finally got progress pictures of where it is as of now. Cage is installed, rear anti-roll bar is welded up, steering rack re-located to clear oil pan, driveshaft safety loop installed, exterior trim painted and installed. basically I'm just bolting parts back on and dealing with the surprises as the pop up.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-014.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-002.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-004.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-005.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-006.jpg  

Old 10-13-2008 | 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

here is where I had to clearance the floor pan so the clutch fork will clear. "time for touch up paint"
I'm enlargeing an existing bolt hol in the bellhousing to hold the clutch fork, I just have to get a 5/8" drill bit to do so then I can hook it up.
The tranny bolted straight in the factory location with the use of the TKO crossmember made for mustangs so everything is ligning up nicely and will be all bolt in with factory parts and attachments.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-007.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-009.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-010.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-011.jpg  
Old 10-13-2008 | 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

here is a couple of exterior shots with the trim going back on.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-015.jpg   LS1 Into Fox with a different approach-8-22-08-016.jpg  
Old 10-13-2008 | 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOM68SS
Progress Updates
I finally got progress pictures of where it is as of now. Cage is installed, rear anti-roll bar is welded up, steering rack re-located to clear oil pan, driveshaft safety loop installed, exterior trim painted and installed. basically I'm just bolting parts back on and dealing with the surprises as the pop up.
I'm having steering rack issues with my swap so I just bought a F-body oil pan, hopefully it will fix the clearance issue

Quick Reply: LS1 Into Fox with a different approach