Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and Audi 5000 Transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 and Audi 5000 Transaxle

I am looking for some answer and hope that the forum members may have already gone down the road I'm heading and can help me. My Name is Dale Van Blokland and I have been involved with Lamborghini Rebplicas for the past 5 years. my initial build site is www.lambobuilder.com. I have recently opened up my own company to build replicas as a full time profession. My web site is www.ExoticDreamBuilders.com I have chosen the Diablo 6.0 using a custom chassis as the foundation. I have purchased a new GM Performance LS1 crate motor including wiring harness and computer. I had planned to use an Audi 5000 transaxle for the transmission for this application. When I went to place my order from Kennedy Engineering I was told that they have Audi adaptor plates for all makes except the LS1. Because of the width of the oil pan they do not have room to put a starter. My question is: "Has anyone on the forum been sucessful in using an Audi Trasaxle on an LS1?"

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dale
Old 08-28-2003, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LS1 and Audi 5000 Transaxle

I followed you build site for a while and was really considering going the lambo route. I eventually decided an ultima gtr was more my style. Is the lambo a mid engine? If so use a porche g50 box like we do in the ultima. I have kennedy kit and it works great so far. My car is not done but there adapet plate, flywheel, and clutch kit are nice.

mark
Old 08-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are plent of Porche options and I can go that way but the Audi is shorter and considerably less expensive. If I have to go the g50 route, I'm adding about $6,000 to my build costs.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't think anyone really used anything but the g50! Can the Audi really handle the power successfully? given it's location I would hate to replace a few months down the road again, cuz it couldn't handle the power. I would like to think you're not going to just put a stock motor in a Lambo kit? If you wind up doing the transaxle twice, wouldn't the g50 once have been easier and cheaper?
Old 08-29-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't think anyone really used anything but the g50! Can the Audi really handle the power successfully? given it's location I would hate to replace a few months down the road again, cuz it couldn't handle the power. I would like to think you're not going to just put a stock motor in a Lambo kit? If you wind up doing the transaxle twice, wouldn't the g50 once have been easier and cheaper? I would think if you are going hand-built chassis, suspension, real brakes and power, you would want to get the power to the ground reliable and with the potential for upgrades to the motor without worries. If I were considering gettin a cre from (I wish) I would certainly drop the extra $6k for the piece of mind of a proven product, and it's well-known reputation for holding power and in the exotic repro-world
Old 08-29-2003, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just out of curiosity why can't they keep the starter in the stock location??? Are they using a flywheel smaller than the 168 tooth ring gear? I had to move my starter to the opposite side. Because my rear axle runs where the starter was( basically just like a front wheel drive car). And it was a pain. Also allot of guys modify the pan. With the deep skirt design of the LS1 the crank doesn't go into it at all (notice how shallow it is in front). So if it just the pan that is holding you back I would see about getting it boxed out to clear the starter. I don't know how much we are talking either. So maybe that would be impractical????
Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Whatever happened to this? Did anybody ever do this? I believe this is the way i am going...but we will see..
Old 07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Launching!

If you look on his site you'll see that he uses the Porsche Trans.

There's a couple of guys using Audi Engine + Trans packages in Ultimas.... have a look here http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...&f=20&t=395922
Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Y"ea i seen that and have talk to him aboout it...the 5000 is the same internal as the 915..but the 915 is so much more money...as far as the v12 is concerned..i have no need for it..im building a 360...Thanks Josh
Old 03-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation LS to porsche 944 transaxle

To answer the question about adapting the LS to the audi transaxle which is the same as the 944 which is a getrag 016. I am almost finished with the adapter for the 944 which will be a simple bolt in along with the LS flywheel and starter. The adapter for the audi use a small clutch,special flywheel and starter.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Wow...this has to be a record for a thread resurrection!!! 12.5 years!

Andrew

Quick Reply: LS1 and Audi 5000 Transaxle