Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E39 540i Engine Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW E39 540i Engine Swap Questions

I am currently in the planning stage of throwing an LS motor and T56 transmission into my 1997 540i. The car is already has a laudry list of modifications on it so I could not bring myself to selling the car for dirt cheap when I recently purchased an M5.

List of current modifications:

1. VF Engineering Supercharger Kit:
2. Supersprint Race Exhaust System (Headers, Race Cats, X-Pipe, Race Cans)
3. Eibach Adjustable Coilovers
4. M5 Trunk pan, front and rear bumpers
5. M5 3.15 LSD differential, Differential Housing
6. M5 Sway bars.

I have already started parting out the car to get ready for the engine swap. My goal is to loose about 800 Pounds out of the car and 550-650 Hp LS motor into the car.

Here are my questions:
1. If I purchase one of GM performance parts wiring harnesses will the car still be OBD-II compliant? ( I noticed the harness only included the pre cat O2 sensor)
2. Has anyone been able to get BMW's traction control and ABS systems to still work in the car?

Here is a couple pictures of the car:

Here is a pic with its older brother:

Last edited by BCUZICAN540; 09-01-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Pictures didnt show up
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always thought those were some of the coolest looking cars on the road...nice job dude, I wish I could offer some advice on the questions you asked, but I can't, so I figured I'd just post up and say it looks great and good luck.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Launching!

This swap has been done before.

My conversion uses a Bosch 5.3 ABS/TC module that is similar to your 5.7. The ABS system is completley separate from the other electronics so you won't lose ABS. You will however lose TC. Keeping it would require hacking of the CAN system so it's not really doable.

The GMPP harnesses have all of the emission systems removed and disabled in the PCM. So they are not emissions compliant. The PCM's are shared with productions vehicles so they are OBD2.

Why don't you just swap the supercharger, headers and exhaust onto the M5? The factory V8 manifolds (same on both the 4.4 and 5.0) are really bad, Tubi headers net 30-40 hp on the M5 for example.

If you swap out the rest of the bits for the stock parts and sell them off the eBay or some BMW boards. I'm sure that you'll make most of your money back than selling it as is.

BTW how much power is the SC'd car making?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 PM

The 540i made 404 RWHP when running on an 8 pound pulley and dinan tuning.

I have already changed the exhaust system over to the M5 from the 540. The full supersprint system costs 8k. I also sold the transmission from the 540as I got a good offer.

I do not plan to modify the M5 except for the exhaust system. The car is great how it is. The car is one of three dakar yellow M5's.

I am going to sell the Engine, Supercharger, M5 interior and Navigation System. I am going to use the proceeds from selling of the parts to fund the engine swap. In the end I will be left with a perfect E39 chassis waiting for an engine. The goal is to make a good track car that can also be driven on the street. I plan on gutting the interior loosing the moonroof. The supercharged set-up was not going to work out for tracking the car.

So if I got a factory wiring harness out of Vette would I be able to keep the car OBD compliant?

Thanks, again for all the help.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll probably want to go wtih a 99-02 F-body harness. They are the most commonly used swapped harnesses and it'll be easiest to find information to use them.

Have you spent much time at the track with a 5 series by chance? A buddy of mine used to have an E39 M5 that we took to the track on occasion and it gets really expensive since they are so heavy and hard on tires/brakes. They really aren't the best chassis to start with unless you are really attached to it. A 3 series would be a lot better option for a track *****.

P.s. What is different between the standard and M5 trunk pan?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BCUZICAN540
So if I got a factory wiring harness out of Vette would I be able to keep the car OBD compliant?
I'm not sure what you mean by OBD2 compliant. OBD2 is just a standardization of signaling protocols, connector size+pinouts, addition of secondary O2 sensors and a few other details; or do you mean emissions compliant?

The car looks like it is in very good shape. I really think it would be a waste to strip it and use it as a track car. I think if you posted it in eBay motors you might get some good coin for it. It may be more economical to do that and then buy a used hight milage 528 for your conversion. Used 528's area really cheap. A friend of mine bought a decent 2000 528 for just over $5000 on eBay.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Skele4door
P.s. What is different between the standard and M5 trunk pan?
the m5 doesnt have a spare tire well, its shapped differently for dual exhaust, etc.

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
I'm not sure what you mean by OBD2 compliant. OBD2 is just a standardization of signaling protocols, connector size+pinouts, addition of secondary O2 sensors and a few other details; or do you mean emissions compliant?

The car looks like it is in very good shape. I really think it would be a waste to strip it and use it as a track car. I think if you posted it in eBay motors you might get some good coin for it. It may be more economical to do that and then buy a used hight milage 528 for your conversion. Used 528's area really cheap. A friend of mine bought a decent 2000 528 for just over $5000 on eBay.

i agree completely. i love 540's, it seems like a shame to me to part out one like yours, when you could buy a 525, 530 etc and get to the same end.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brewster240
the m5 doesnt have a spare tire well, its shapped differently for dual exhaust, etc.

i agree completely. i love 540's, it seems like a shame to me to part out one like yours, when you could buy a 525, 530 etc and get to the same end.
Why? This has a stronger rearend and is already set up for a V8. That car with a big LSX motor would be the 540 to end all 540s. I say do it!

And the GMPP wiring harness might not be the way to go- check out speartech and others who do custom harnesses on here, the GMPP ECU is allegedly non reprogrammable (i don't know how much truth there is to that). But Speartech and the other guys on here will make anything you want.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by brewster240

Correct the m5 trunk pan is made for dual exhaust and also does not have a spare tire.

I think that the 540 will be the easiest car to do the conversion. The car was already designed for a V8. Front end suspension and steering is designed differently in the 6 cylinder cars. Plus the 540i already has all the body suspension and brake modifications that I would want to be completed.

I know that the 5 series is not the best base for a track car. I hope to lighten the car by about seven hundred pounds. Make it as lighter that a 3 series coupe even though it is a large sedan.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Default Wiring Harness

FWIW, if you're going to run an LS2/LS3/L92 (58T reluctor) engine you might consider at purchasing an E38 or E67 harness.

Bought one from a board member last week -- '07 TBSS harness with it's E67 ECM and T43 TCM; added salvage yard '07 Monte Carlo DBW pedal -- total for all $ 280.00 delivered.

For that kind'a money -- why fool with changing the reluctor wheel? You'll want to get the ECM tuned / reflashed with either.

I do agree there's currently more info on DIY modifyng the LT1 items. However, plenty of guys are starting to use the GEN IV stuff (and much of the info "carrys over).

I'd try to buy the engine, T-56 and harness/ECM all as a pullout. It's well worth the modest premium.

Anyway, have fun with the swap!!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Teching In

I think that the 540 will be the easiest car to do the conversion. The car was already designed for a V8. Front end suspension and steering is designed differently in the 6 cylinder cars. Plus the 540i already has all the body suspension and brake modifications that I would want to be completed.
for what its worth I saw a 6 cyl 5 series with a twin turbo'ed ls1 in it, the 6 cyl cars have an alum. sub frame with rack and pinion steering where the 540 has a steel subframe with a steering box. on the conversion I saw the stock f body oil pan was used and only 1 brace on the subframe had to be moved, the two main braces of the 6 cyl subframe are in an A shape and the crossbar had to be cut out and move a few inches forward, if you werent paying attention you would have never noticed it.

there will be more room on the 6cyl car for header clearance due to the front mounted rack instead of the steering box and rear steering linkage of the 540.

and if its going to be a "track" car then the struts/springs/and swaybars will be replaced anyway.

the conversion i saw also used an e36 m3 diff with a couple of custom fabbed brackets and I think the stock 5 series axles bolted to the diff with no mods.

either way, it will be a cool swap and good luck.

p.s. I work as a BMW tech. so if you need any info etc... let me know.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by justanova

p.s. I work as a BMW tech. so if you need any info etc... let me know.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I have contact info for a guy in AZ that did a twin turbo LS1 in a 528i (auto) same body style as yours. He has put over 60K miles on it without any issues. He is only making around 550rwhp but has full a/c and p/s etc. He said the worst part was the electrical and getting everything to synch up. He got EVERYTHING to work.

Send me an email if you want his info: gnx7@hotmail.com

Are you in California? If so where? I'm in SF.

-Mark
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gnx7
I have contact info for a guy in AZ that did a twin turbo LS1 in a 528i (auto) same body style as yours. He has put over 60K miles on it without any issues. He is only making around 550rwhp but has full a/c and p/s etc. He said the worst part was the electrical and getting everything to synch up. He got EVERYTHING to work.

Send me an email if you want his info: gnx7@hotmail.com

Are you in California? If so where? I'm in SF.

-Mark

if it is a maroon car with 557 badges that is the same car I saw and worked on, he brought it to the dealer ship I was working at at the time for an alignment, very nice install, it looked like it belonged there. I never got a chance to talk to the owner when he picked up/dropped off the car but wished i could have. If I remember correctly the only thing on that car that didn't work was the traction control, the abs still worked the factory tach/speedo still worked and he put 3 guages boost/oil psi/? in a custom pod in front of the shifter that was done in wood grain to match the other trim in the car.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Does anyone have a pic of the empty engine bays of both the 6-cyl and 8-cyl cars that they could post?

I can't find anything online.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

good info in here even though its somewhat old...
I've been pondering the idea of snagging a wagon (5xx-iT) to swap as I have kids and would like to wagon-ize my life in some rwd fashion using LSx power.

I'm surprised how low prices are on some of the 5series. Good to hear about the 6-cyl cars having aluminum front subframes for their light weight (40 lbs iirc?) and rack-and-pinion steering in front of the axle (like RX7's) for good clearance around oilpans & headers. Hard to find a lot of DIY info though as most BMW guys just run to the dealership.

dont think Ive seen a 5 series wagon get LSx swapped... would be cool.

Hague's site is down, did those pics get moved anywhere else?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
good info in here even though its somewhat old...
I've been pondering the idea of snagging a wagon (5xx-iT) to swap as I have kids and would like to wagon-ize my life in some rwd fashion using LSx power.

I'm surprised how low prices are on some of the 5series. Good to hear about the 6-cyl cars having aluminum front subframes for their light weight (40 lbs iirc?) and rack-and-pinion steering in front of the axle (like RX7's) for good clearance around oilpans & headers. Hard to find a lot of DIY info though as most BMW guys just run to the dealership.

dont think Ive seen a 5 series wagon get LSx swapped... would be cool.

Hague's site is down, did those pics get moved anywhere else?
5 Series LSx wagon would be all too sick no joke.

But i think one of the newer body style ones with a blown motor would be pretty cheap to pickup and even more unique.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

when was the last time you saw one for sale with a blown motor? (e61)

then you have even more pain in the *** technology to deal with too.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Sweet
Old 09-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Teching In

i mite have one ima look

Quick Reply: BMW E39 540i Engine Swap Questions