Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system leak

After connecting up the fuel system quickly a couple of months ago I got the ls1 running in my Ford Capri. So, knowing that i could get it to run, the whole car was sent off to a professional race engineering company for a proper installation using the "russel" quick connect push-on hose system together with some chassis upgrades, bigger fuel tank ins and outs etc etc....1 month later I collected car.............

Fast forward to today, Tuesday 2nd. I took yesterday and today off work. My 6yr old son was away for the day round his school friends house.....no interuptions! My fiance was working:......even less hold-ups!
Put the dashboard back in.Wired up the electronic speed sensor and all the other little doo-dads that take ages to do. Made myself coffee all day and said hello, talked cars, to a couple of mates who called in.
As usual, the fire extinguisher was at the ready should anything happen(it has in the past!).Got the battery in the boot, connected it up and the analogue clock with the moving second hand moved by itself.Fantastic, so far so good! One last look over the motor and it was one gallon of petrol down the filler cap time. Ok ,here we go I thought. Just need to keep the 13mm spanner handy to whip the + lead off ....just in case! Key on to position1, speed sensor/ecu click on, my install.Position 2, dash lights up, ecu makes more noise, side light switch lights em up etc etc, my install. Position 3, engine whizzes over nicely so starter wiring good....my install. But it doesn`t start. Checked for spark....ok, checked for blinking light on diagnostic indicator light...ok. Ugghhh what`s that smell and what`s that all over the floor!? Petrol. From my £700 ($1200?) professionally installed super duper fuel system. NOT my install!!.Had a look underneath and out of 4 joints/unions etc 3 are pi**ing out everywhere.

I`ve done the complete engine install myself, everything. Give the car away to the pro`s, spend £4000 in total and the fuel line leaks worse than the titanic and it`s 8.30 pm and i`m fed up with it today.So I need moral support from like minded car -nuts! My lovely lady just Doesn`t "get it".

Anyway, my question is, would this leak actually prevent the engine running, even running roughly? Surely it would fire up a little or would the leak prevent adequte fuel pressure?

So it`s back to work tomorrow with nagging questions /answers whirrling around my head and I can`t wait to have another crack at it tomorrow evening.......................Cheers!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without know more about any code and scanning the system, Yes.. inadequte fuel pressure might keep the engine from starting as the injectors may not have enough pressure to spary into the intake.

did you see where it was leaking from ? maybe it is just one lose fitting ?.. keep us posted..
Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did my own fuel system and had two minor leaks. One a crushed gasket and the other a faulty hard line fitting. Took a few hours to sort out. Your problems might be as simple as retorquing the fittings.

I specifically tested for fuel leaks first before I connected the ignition. Seems like the safest way to do things. Plus once the engine gets going I figured I would get excited and forget to look for things like fuel leaks.

Cheer up. All part of the process.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I didn`t want to touch anything until i spoke to the company that installed the fuel lines. Firstly, they also suggested a re-tighten of the fittings. Secondly, they said that there was a quality control problem with the push on hose itself a while back where the fuel seeped past the hose where it pushed onto the end hose finisher/joint.
That`s the bit that bothers me but they have been up front with possible problems so i`ll have a look after work tonight.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

And, after KNOWING of possible problems w/ the components, they did no system checks?? Maybe find another shop, as those clowns are well on thier way toward a disaster.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

WOW! What a let-down. Maybe you do just need to check ALL the connections. There might be 1 that was just finger tightened. Crap happens...
Old 09-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

9.30pm over here. Just sat down in front of tv. Spent 4 hours sorting out these leaks. After speaking to the race people, I really put some effort on the spanner to nip up all the joints. Apparently they shouldn`t need to be really leaned on but i was frustrated so I gave them some stick! Anyway, none of them "leak" as such except one, which I`m told I should dismantle and look for dirt in the fitting then try again. Trouble is, you know when you think something looks like it`s leaking, or getting damp, well that`s still what it looks like to me. Perhaps I`m getting paranoid so I`ll leave it till tomorrow and have a look before work.
However, all this happens just when the engine turns over. It won`t start `cos the fuel pump has no power going to it................but that`s another thread I think.

Oh and by the way, the race engineering company offered to travel out to my house if the problem with the leaks persist and fix it. A 200 mile round trip.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Uk Robert
Oh and by the way, the race engineering company offered to travel out to my house if the problem with the leaks persist and fix it. A 200 mile round trip.

Well, that's something anyway, huh? Sounds like they at least want to make sure you get your moneys worth.

Quick Reply: Fuel system leak