Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap to 70 Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 swap to 70 Camaro.

Hi. I´m new on this forum. I just started looking for LS1 T56 package to my 1970 Camaro. Is there any specific year model what I should hunt for or are they all the same? Should I avoid 98 model cause it is first year and it uses own PCM? And is it any worth to pay extra money for 01-02 models with LS6 intake?
And about the PCM. Is it absolutely must to have it re-programed? Or can I use o2 simulators, somekind of vats module, etc to make it work without any emission componets and with 3rd Gen TPI in tank fuelpump and external regulator?
Is there others who is doing or done LS1 swap to 2nd Gen F-fody? It would be nice to see some pictures and get some ideas how to do this swap. Thank´s.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: LS1 swap to 70 Camaro.

Go to LT1350.com They advertize reworking stock harnesses without having to reprogram the pcm but you have to be willing to keep all of the smog stuff.They done mine with the vats delete module and i had my pcm reflashed to do away with all of smog stuff and had vats deleted also. I talked with Dana about this and he said it would be a good idea because if i was out and a pcm gave out i could go anywhere and buy a pcm and at least it would start and run with the vats module installed. I could drive it home with only the check engine light on for the smog stuff.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

web page
Here is a link to my pictures of the swap. I am running a automatic though instead of the 6 speed, but it gives you a basic idea. Feel free to Email me about any questions you might have, I will try my best to answer them. Lesrace82@aol.com
Here are a few other links I found when I started doing my swap. Some of the pages are of other people on this site.
The last caboose
web page
Old 09-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Hi and thanks for a reply and links (very helpfull). Like I said I just started looking for LS1 and T56 for my project. I live in Finland and I´m pretty sure that I´m making the first LS1 conversion in here. So, I´m trying to get as much info as I can get. Not too many LS1 cars in here at all anyway. I have one guy (Finnish) in Florida who is helping me to find the engine and shipping it to Finland. So, we are checking out the ebay everyday to find good engine for a decent price.
Well, I quess that I have like thousand guestion to make, but the computer(PCM) is worring me the most. What would you do? Would you reprogram it or would you use o2 simulators and VATS bypass module etc.? And what else there is what should be considered? Gas tank pressure, egr,airpump(is there any?), ac, etc.? I´m planing to do all the harness work by myself. (I have done few tpi swaps but now I am moving to the upper level, heh) I will not use the cats and I use orginal (70) tank with TPI pump inside it. (I have now 350tpi+th700) I really don´t like to rebrogram the PCM because of high price ($300) and other reason is, like Rod said, if I ever have to change it then I have rebrogram it again.
Well, no more guestions now. Thanks and I really preciate your help...

Old 09-08-2003, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to email:
joni.kiurunen@kesko.fi

We did the harnesses and computers for Joni and his friend Tomi. They are doing projects very similar to yours using LS6/T-56 setups into early Vettes (mid 60's). They may have their cars up and running now, I don't know. I haven't talked to Joni in quite a while. Nice guy and he can probably help you out with the details of finding stuff and getting into Finland.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 09-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks for hint John. It´s nice to know that somebody else is doing LS1/6 swap here in Finland, so I´m not alone with all my guestions
What do you guys think. Is it worth to bay $1000 extra for 2002 engine package when there is 99 year 1000 less available with same stuff?
Does anybody knows other 2nd Gen F-body links than LesRace82 posted? Those links have been very helpfull.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Teching In

You can take a look at my swap here. 81LS1TA
It's been slow going for the past few months due to other things getting priority.

Also there is the Hotchkis Camaro here.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Thank´s fbird ta. I got lots of ideas how to make clutch work from your site.
Just bought the engine/trany package from ebay. It came of 99 T/A. Now I just have to wait when it arrives to Finland. Till that I just try to get all the info and necessary parts together what I will need.
Does anyone know number for K/N universal tube airfilter which has same size "mouth" than LS1 TB and MAFF has? What is TB´s size?

Quick Reply: LS1 swap to 70 Camaro.