Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Engine Swap LS1 into 2000 Jeep Wrangler....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CA Engine Swap LS1 into 2000 Jeep Wrangler....

So I live in ca and I am hoping to do a LS1/4l80e swap into my Jeep trail rig. It has to be smog legal and everything else and I know the motor has to be from the same year or newer donor vehicle and all the sensors and smog stuff has to still be in place and it has to be from the same class of vehicle...has anyone done this swap in ca and gone to the ref ect. and passed smog? I just want to make sure this is going to work before I buy a motor and tranny.
Thanks, Tim
Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you located at ?

You got it right.. I would be concern on the part about the same class of vehicle.. that being car vs. truck. That being a LS1 is a Car engine and your jeep would be considered a Truck class (?), a LQ4/9 or LM7, etc would be truck engines and might be a better choice to get it to pass without problems.

Yes there are many that have passed the test .. Suggest you find the local Ref station and talk with the tech.. one tick is to go from station to station till you find 1) someone who know what they are talking about and 2) someone who is willing to work with you (and maybe give you a few breaks).

I know the Community (or Automotive) College in Livermore, Ca had done may swaps and does do the Certification... (I am in NorCal / Concord).
Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Another run at the top....

Quick Reply: CA Engine Swap LS1 into 2000 Jeep Wrangler....