Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Anyone go the manual top route?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taws6m6
It CAN be taken out as a system. Just unbolt the pump, trace the hydraulic lines around and take off the clips here and there holding them down. Now, the pump, its been a while, you may or may not have to take off the 1/4 panel. There is a steel pin, along with a cotter pin holding them in, take that off. I really cant remember if there are any bolts at all holding them in, seems like there was one, and there was also a hole in the sheet metal for access. I took mine out as one whole assembly, never drained anything, my pump still has fluid in it right now. All it is the pump, some lines and the cylinders, not much to it at all. Oh, and do it with the top up, that way you can get to the inside of the quarter panel, you may or may not have to slightly raiser the top to gain access to them. Aint **** to it
Kewl.... i will look into it. Man this site is great for this type stuff.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Took it out yesterday and it was easy to do. It will be just as easy to put back in as well.

Came out as a complete system and no need to drain anything whatsoever.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much effort is involved in raising/lowering with the hydraulics removed?

Estimate on weight of the whole system?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eseibel67
How much effort is involved in raising/lowering with the hydraulics removed?

Estimate on weight of the whole system?
The top is fairly light and you can raise and lower it with ease.

Probably only about 20-25 lbs of stuff though.

You from Ontario?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update to an old thread:

1) It's VERY easy to remove the pump, lines and cylinders in one piece.
2) Everything combined weighs 15 lbs. (not sure how accurate this 50 year old bathroom scale is).
3) The effort to raise or lower the top manually is minimal. The only caution is that when putting it down, don't just throw it because I think there may be a possiblilty of damaging the rear glass.

So far, I really like it. It's a weekend car, so it's nice to be able to put the top up or down without finding the keys, sitting in the driver's seat, and waiting for it to pump up/down electrically.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff. Now that she's a racecar I'll be doing this as well.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its kind of silly to pull it out IMO. We are talking about cruisers here, unless you're like 94Z28rag, whose car is all modded to hell and hacked up with a cage in it anyways.

I never understood the mindset of people who would pull stuff out like the convertible motor or all the a/c stuff and their car can't crack an 11 second et anyways. Might as well be comfortable while you're slow IMO.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
News Flash!!! These are Camaros not mustangs nor miatas!
And you CAN do it with one hand.

Maybe you're just not as strong as you think?
want to step into the ring with me? we can go standup, ground only or MMA. where are you located?

old post, but i just saw it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00Camary
Have you done it with a fbody vert? Was the linkage still in tact in the 5.0? maybe thats why it was difficult.
i had 2 old fox mustang with a bad motor. one, the previous owner got a junkyard top & frame so there were no lines nor pressure in them. when going down, i had to be careful b/c the weight can cause it to go crashing down fast and breaking the glass rear window.

i think the top & frame of a 5.0 Fox Mustang is much heavier due to being a 1978 design vs. and Fbody's. the biggest strain on your back is due to the awkwardness of having to lift it from one side.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by 98Bird
want to step into the ring with me? we can go standup, ground only or MMA. where are you located?

old post, but i just saw it.
Saying you are into MMA and fighting doesn't give you a free pass to make misinformed dumbass statements, especially if you can't work the top manually, and you are some kind of athlete, somethings wrong with how fit you think you are.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Saying you are into MMA and fighting doesn't give you a free pass to make misinformed dumbass statements, especially if you can't work the top manually, and you are some kind of athlete, somethings wrong with how fit you think you are.
Learn to read fatboy. I was referring to my experience with an old 5.0 Fox Mustang and had none with an Fbody convertible switched to manual.

Make video of you lifting a manual Fox 87-93 convertible top with a glass rear window with one hand while standing on one side (and not the middle).
Old 07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Rockstar

Learn to read fatboy. I was referring to my experience with an old 5.0 Fox Mustang and had none with an Fbody convertible switched to manual.

Make video of you lifting a manual Fox 87-93 convertible top with a glass rear window with one hand while standing on one side (and not the middle).
Bitchy much? If you have no experience with a F body top then why are you in here talking ****?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Someone should sticky this so that people have confirmation of two things.

Dont do roids

Yes, If you want to .... Go the manual top route cuz its easy to do.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, not me.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Bitchy much? If you have no experience with a F body top then why are you in here talking ****?
I just gave my personal experience on a manual top of another car. You're the bitch who had to chime in with a smart remark based on your poor reading comprehension skills, probably due to lack of education. And now you're pussying out fatboy?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Rockstar

I just gave my personal experience on a manual top of another car. You're the bitch who had to chime in with a smart remark based on your poor reading comprehension skills, probably due to lack of education. And now you're pussying out fatboy?
Nope man, It's not the fact that I have an education that I paid 30K a year for, it's the fact that you have so much irrational anger in your posts. And why are you calling me fatboy? There's a user on here called FastFatBoy, and I am not him, nor am I a fat person.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Nope man, It's not the fact that I have an education that I paid 30K a year for, it's the fact that you have so much irrational anger in your posts. And why are you calling me fatboy? There's a user on here called FastFatBoy, and I am not him, nor am I a fat person.
Anger? The same can be said about you hypocrite. Some good your education did for you since you can can hardly read. Don't cry fatboy.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
unless you're like 94Z28rag, whose car is all modded to hell and hacked up with a cage in it anyways.
see sig pic...

I want to mini-tub my Z and it looks like the hydraulics will interfere with a tub. Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
see sig pic...

I want to mini-tub my Z and it looks like the hydraulics will interfere with a tub. Any thoughts on this?
My guess would be no interference. The cylinders are way forward, and the lines are cheap, flexible nylon tubing.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Rockstar

Anger? The same can be said about you hypocrite. Some good your education did for you since you can can hardly read. Don't cry fatboy.
I'm glad you're a internet badass, but that'll never help you if you can't lift a ******* convertible top when you're allegedly into MMA.

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
see sig pic...

You have any more pics of your roll cage? It looks good.

Quick Reply: Anyone go the manual top route?