Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Anyone go the manual top route?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go the manual top route?

OK thanks a lot guys for the direction in doing this. Let me just say that if you have the tools and you can turn a wrench you can remove this whole system within a matter of < 2 hours. Probably saved 20 lbs and it is really easy to put back in too.

Last edited by 00Camary; 11-01-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One guy on here that did it said that if the car is a daily driver and you enjoy putting the top down that it wasn't worth it to remove the motor and hydraulics. It saves around 15-20 pounds. I'm not sure how easy it is to drop and raise the top after the motor is removed but I would think it that it wouldn't be that difficult to do. If you decide to do it though keep us updated, I would like to see what goes into doing this.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hear ya.....hmmmmmmm
Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any hydraulic issues or the need to reduce weight, but I've also thought about this.

My guess is that if the cylinders are removed, the top would be very easy to raise or lower manually.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like crawling over the back seat, maybe. My
first convertible was a Fiat Spider and that one, I
could just lean back, grab and pull. But there's an
extra 2' or so here and you'd need orangutan arms
to do that from the driver's seat. Plus this top is a
whole lot more meaty, longer and more stout.

And you ought to see the scissor-frame top on
my 20'-long '75 Caprice....

I think I'd be leaving the hydraulics alone.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

Talk to the 3rd gen guys! All 3rd gens were manuals. I would comment, but my 3rd gen verts were Autoform hard top convertible 2 seater roadsters - COMPLETELY different.

GL!

DM
Old 09-11-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It isn't hard, i have been doing this for over a year now.

It is quicker than doing it with the button.

The only bad news is it makes you look like a bitch if you are putting that thing up and down manually. I never put it up and down in front of girls... So i leave it down 98% of the time.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Works great.
You unlock it form the inside and while standing outside next to the car, you just lower it.
To raise it you repeat the process in reverse.
Bob
Old 09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Rockstar

I have my hydraulics turned off because it's easier to do it manually. It literally takes 2 seconds compared to what, 10-15 seconds with a switch?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Huh.... Well i am going to look into doing some lightening then. Does anyone know what the whole delete will weigh out at?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

I would sell the convertible and get a hard top if you care that much about weight for racing. Plus, you'll have a more rigid structure vs. a vert.

It's crazy to go manual top b/c they were made to operate with a motor, and should be heavy as hell w/o it. I'm in really good shape (jog at least 6 miles per week and 4-5 days of MMA training)....but lifting up the top for my old Mustang 5.0 that had a bad motor was tedious and hurt my back after a few months. I tried to keep the top down all day in order to avoid putting it up & down. The interior got rain bathes at least 10x from this.

It's very heavy. If you lift it on one side while standing, it stresses the 'vert frame, glass stictching/glue, etc. and your back and you'll eventually have back pains. The best way (which I later figured out, but back already hurting) was to climb into the rear seats and squat at the middle, facing front and arching backwards to grab the top at the middle and lift it over your head. Going through this crap defeated the whole purpose of enjoying a convertible.

It's not like a Miata's top, where you can raise & lower it with one hand.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98Bird
It's crazy to go manual top b/c they were made to operate with a motor, and should be heavy as hell w/o it. I'm in really good shape (jog at least 6 miles per week and 4-5 days of MMA training)....but lifting up the top for my old Mustang 5.0 that had a bad motor was tedious and hurt my back after a few months. I tried to keep the top down all day in order to avoid putting it up & down. The interior got rain bathes at least 10x from this.
Have you done it with a fbody vert? Was the linkage still in tact in the 5.0? maybe thats why it was difficult.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by 98Bird
I would sell the convertible and get a hard top if you care that much about weight for racing. Plus, you'll have a more rigid structure vs. a vert.

It's very heavy. If you lift it on one side while standing, it stresses the 'vert frame, glass stictching/glue, etc. and your back and you'll eventually have back pains. The best way (which I later figured out, but back already hurting) was to climb into the rear seats and squat at the middle, facing front and arching backwards to grab the top at the middle and lift it over your head. Going through this crap defeated the whole purpose of enjoying a convertible.

It's not like a Miata's top, where you can raise & lower it with one hand.
News Flash!!! These are Camaros not mustangs nor miatas!
And you CAN do it with one hand.

Maybe you're just not as strong as you think?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Camary
Have you done it with a fbody vert? Was the linkage still in tact in the 5.0? maybe thats why it was difficult.
Yes, he must be pushing against the hydraulics.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Yes, he must be pushing against the hydraulics.
Thats what i was thinking. I might really have to try this.

How much do all of the pump accessories weigh?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

I have had mine out, all the hydraulics, pumps, lines etc out for a while now. If you can't stand outside the car and raise and lower it with one hand something is wrong. you don't have to climb in the back seat like others say, unless you're a weak little girly man. the whole assembly doesn't weigh much, the motor is the heaviest piece, the hydraulic pumps are light as hell
Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmmmmmmm.... more confirmation. Thanks for all the imput.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay i took some stuff apart in the trunk and i have found the pump. I kinda stopped there and ask the people in here how they went about removing everything. Is it possible to leave the system complete so i wont need to bleed lines if i ever install it again? Where are the piston cylinders? I assume in the rear panels right?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Likely have to open the system to remove the individual components. I'm sure those little hydraulic lines go through a hole somewhere that the cylinders wouldn't fit through.

With the top 1/2 down, you can see the cylinders in the 1/4 panel.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

It CAN be taken out as a system. Just unbolt the pump, trace the hydraulic lines around and take off the clips here and there holding them down. Now, the pump, its been a while, you may or may not have to take off the 1/4 panel. There is a steel pin, along with a cotter pin holding them in, take that off. I really cant remember if there are any bolts at all holding them in, seems like there was one, and there was also a hole in the sheet metal for access. I took mine out as one whole assembly, never drained anything, my pump still has fluid in it right now. All it is the pump, some lines and the cylinders, not much to it at all. Oh, and do it with the top up, that way you can get to the inside of the quarter panel, you may or may not have to slightly raiser the top to gain access to them. Aint **** to it

Quick Reply: Anyone go the manual top route?