Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

RK Support Tonneau Covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Are these locked into place well enough for racing and hard cornering?
The back edge of the covers get clamped down by the deck lid to prevent theft. This would also keep them from shifting side-to-side when cornering. The front edge is kept from lifting off at high speeds by the fact that the front seat belts fit through slotted holes to hold it in place, although not nearly as firmly as the deck lid clamps it.

One of the issues I've found w/ mine is that these holes for the seat belts create weak spots that tend to crack from stresses when the weight of the front-center of the covers bounce up and down when going down the road. To take the load off this area and stiffen the covers in the front center, I built a small strut that fits up under the cover's front lip and sets in the rear seat cup holder for support. Works great and reduces squeeks too.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect to Johnny B's description, I would disagree strongly with the part of the wording, "The front edge is kept from lifting off at high speeds by the fact that the front seat belts fit through slotted holes to hold it in place, ..." Those slotted holes do nothing but allow the seat belts to come through. My experience is that the cover is held down by the air pressure coming up over the windshield and hitting the top of the cover. I have taken mine to 50 mph or so and reached back and tried to lift the cover. You can feel the pressure pushing it down. Now the one that really makes me nervous is coming up behind a large truck or bus out on the highway. I am not sure that the turbulent air might not be enough to get that cover to lift off. Others have said they have taken theirs to well over 100 mph with no problem. I am not that adventurous. By the way Johnny, I have the hairline cracks around the seat belt slots on mine as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Good point. I didn't mean to imply there was any natural tendancy for the covers to lift off while the car is in motion. Only that, IF for some reason some turbulence would occur while in traffic that would cause the covers to lift up, the seat-belts would help counteract that movement. Although there is no guarantee that at 162MPH that the seat belts (but more likely the covers around those holes) would be strong enough to prevent the cover from flying off IF somehow high pressure got under the covers to cause them to lift. But as you say, downforce is (should be) much more prominent at any speed.

Its certainly not like the covers are hanging on by the seatbelts as you go down the highway. But I could see how what I stated implies that. DOH!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Well I road race at over 130mph with the top down...was curous if I could leave these in. Looks like I better not. Thanks to those that replyed.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by savethelinoleum
I'm selling my vert and tonneau covers and a set of speedline wheels in case anyone is still looking for the tonneau covers.
I finally got around to taking pics of my covers and listing them on eBay. PM for the item number or just do a quick search. They're setup to end next Thursday 4/8/10
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
WOW! More pics please! Any pics of the details of the one piece mod'ing itself?
DM
Better late, than never, I guess.
Here are pictures of the reinforcement on mine. I recall that the previous owner said it was PCV pipe. I can't tell what was used as adhesive.
I recall that one of the issues with the split cover was that it flexed up and down in the center. The pipe that runs all the way across prevents that. It's really quite stiff.
I understand that some people put in a center support to the floor or console to reduce the flexing.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey guys, I just found this thread so I hope you all don't mind if I just bump it instead of starting anew.

I just picked up a set of the RKS tonneau covers and for some reason it doesn't want to sit down flush once the lip is under the deck lid of the trunk; the front pops up a bit. It seems as if my top is not going down all the way and the frame is pushing up on the cover a little bit; is this common?

Also, I was thinking of trying to come up with some kind of latching system underneath so it doesn't go blowing off. Has anyone done anything like this?

@ ZeeVert: I was thinking of making mine a one piece like you did. Did you fill in the seam that the 2 pieces make when they are mated together, that way it's nice and flat and seamless. Can you please post more pics of your cover and some with it installed?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I didn't make the modifications, and the guy I bought it from in Illinois didn't do the mods. I'm pretty sure if was 3 owners ago.
No, the seam is not filled in. I haven't done any thing to it.
I'll try to get some pictures today.
I don't use it very often, because it restricts how back the seat back can go, and I'm 6-6, and I like it back as far as possible. Also, once it is combined into once pc, you can't store it in the car and put the top up.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Here are some more pictures. It's pretty dusty.... that darn black paint!
Many more at PhotoBucket: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Try "closing" the latch before covering. It may help.
The seam is very visible, but not very noticable. Hard to explain.
Good luck!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pics man! I have my body guy working on a custom setup, that I came up with, where we're taking a OEM cover and integrating it into the RKS cover.

We're going to cut the RKS and add the OEM cover so that the RKS can stay in place and the OEM pieces can be removed so to allow the top to be raised. It's hard to see, but the line tap is where we're going to cut.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Sounds interesting.
Don't forget to keep taking pictures.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will do Bro!

Quick Reply: RK Support Tonneau Covers