Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Convertible Top Fabric Not Long Enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Fabric Not Long Enough

The fabric is separated from my rear glass window on both the top and bottom. I've been reading other posts and decided to go with the 3M Window-
Weld Urethane. My question is that I can't pull the fabric far enough to glue it on; I tried putting the top back far enough, but there still isn't enough fabric....any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will eventually have to replace the rear window curtain. I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and replace it. If the remainder of the top is in good condition, then you can leave that, as the window is a separate part. If not, then I'd replace both.

When mine started to separate, I tried several different adhesives, and they held temporarily. The problem you may be having is that you have to find a way to hold the fabric onto the glass long enough for the adhesive to hold, and you have to brace it. I found that I had to push the window outwards to get the fabric to line up with the glass. It became too much of a pain, so I just bought a new window curtain (it's the glass and fabric its connected to) and replaced it. Problem solved.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Can you recommend any good online sites to purchase from? Also when you say you can replace the glass plus the curtan; is this the fabric just below the window?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyr0b0y
Can you recommend any good online sites to purchase from? Also when you say you can replace the glass plus the curtan; is this the fabric just below the window?
The curtain is a sheet of fabric that surrounds the window. It attaches to the bow that is about 6 inches above the window and attaches to another bow that runs around the back of the cabin just in front of the trunk. The top is a separate piece of fabric that covers the entire top and comes down in an upside down u-shape over the window and attaches to the same bow around the bottom.

If that u-shaped piece is what is pulling loose from your window, it is not even supposed to be attached to the window anyway. But the u-shaped piece does start to move forward away from the window as it starts to age and come loose from the bows, so many people glue it to the window to try to keep it from moving forward.

Topsonline.com sells curtains and windows. I got my top on ebay...I think the seller was called hindsightseeing or something like that. Good fit, good material, came with an installation video installing it on a Trans Am.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like dugba said. You have a choice of vinyl or haartz fabric (also depends on color), and plastic or glass w/defroster grid. I went with the haartz fabric and defroster glass - more expensive but restores the window to stock.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Teching In

I checked out the ebay seller, it looks like a good deal; even has free shipping, but do i need to purchase the headliner that he is selling for an additional cost if I'm looking to replace the whole top?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on the condition of the existing headliner.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Last summer my window fell out we were lucky enough to sew the lining back into place and glue the window back. Good luck
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyr0b0y
I checked out the ebay seller, it looks like a good deal; even has free shipping, but do i need to purchase the headliner that he is selling for an additional cost if I'm looking to replace the whole top?
Headliner is not attached to the top. If your headliner is in good shape, then no need to buy another one.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Fabric Not Long Enough