Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Glass seperating from fabric top!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Glass seperating from fabric top!

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I Did, was washing car and ever so gently went over the area below rear glass on top witha soft spunch and it seperated. Nothing is ripped andglass hasnt cracked or anything. I applied some glue i got from advanced, just went in and said whats the strongest shizzle u got. holding just fineright now, been about 2 weeks, even had a few highway runs and its holding, gonna clean-up the beed.
Heres my deal, i went to a local chevy steallership and they wanted to replace the whole fn" top, which i kinda expected, but then i talked to a private shop and they wanted to replace the glass for $550! I dont see how that would solve the problem! THe original glasss is fine, coulnt u just remove it and re-apply new adhesive? I mean thats the problem, the adhessive and not the glass or fabric. I think they just are so use to people just blindly sheeling out cash to replace the whole top all the time that they dont even attempt to repair them anymore. Any ideas of what i can do, cause im thinkin this is just a temporary fix for now!?thanx Darren
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what adhesive did you use? mine separated too..
Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

i had a 95 camaro that did same thing. pull it up first and look to see if any debri has gotten under it. there should be a strip under edge of the top.clean both places good.get some 3m 2 sided body moulding tape pull it tight and stick it to glass. heat it with a hair dryer and rub it while heating it.the heat makes it stick better. i now have a 97 with a white vinyl conv top and they say the vinyl shrinks and it does not line up with glass so i have to get the whole window. i also have white vinyl perforated interior. nobody but hawks 3rd gen has the covers and they have to be custom made.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

i think the bottom cloth part under glass is bonded to glass. i think it and glass are one piece
Old 01-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

I heard it is just factory glued on to start. ?
Everyone on here that is having issues just glues it back. I too have been told to replace it by a place that does convertible tops. Screw that. I'll use glue.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

happened to me aswell, the window just fell off lol , i cut a similar piece of fabric , glued the window on it , and then glued it back on the top.. I done this as a temp. fix but its been that way for 4 years now , im just going to change the convertible top since its kind of discoloring anyway.. but glue seems to work pretty well
Old 01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they were heat bonded at factory
the glass and insert curtain are separate from the top and can be removed and repaired without removal of top.
Clean real good,use 3M window weld.You can buy some time but it will separate again.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Yep, what he said. window weld is the ****. but it will happen again.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Yep. You will be chasing your tail until you replace the top. I have new tops on both of my verts. The new tops are aftermarket and hopefully more durable. I think the aftermarket tops use a better glue (I hope). If the interior is in excellent condition, it pays to get the top replaced to prevent any water damage to the rest of the car. But, if you can keep up with the glue applications, you might be able to keep your original top for a year or two. But, once the window drops completely, the game is over. BTW, I glued the top on my red vert several times even after the windo dropped out. After the glue, I ran a bead of clear silicone sealant. Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where did you get your replacement tops from ? I've seen a few places but im not sure about the quality so im still in doubt
Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

thanx fellas, think ill just dick around with the glue for awhile!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

My top sucks already. But I'm going to replace the entire top with one from a salvage yard that only deals with cars that have LSX engines.
Picking up a top that looks great, but the window is already loose!
I'll mess with glue for a while I guess. It's not a daily driver anyways.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Yup, me too. Good think my Z is a sunny day toy and lives in the garage. Glass is totally seperated. Called the Top Shop (local experts I trust) who said the glass comes from GM heat bonded to the curtain. New window comes with new curtain attached. Installed is $750. Ouch! I am going to try the 3M window weld route first. Beats the Gorilla Tape that is holding it on now. The replacement route is really the way to go, but I have other budgeting concerns! May have to do it anyway at some point.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

i just used some gorilla glue. been holding fine
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Great! my drivers side corner on my has a lil rip by the glass. I bet thats only a time and matter before it drops!! Where you guys getting yours at!!!??? i need some names that i can trust!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lot of them come apart where the glass is glued, you can
get a tube of proper polyurethane adhesive at Advance
for about 20 bucks. Or black 3M marine adhesive at West
Marine. Take your time with surface prep.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

mine has been starting to come undone a little on the lower driver side. you can see the dirt in between the window and top. its been like that for over a year now.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my replacement top from an ebay user called hindsightseeing. It came with a video showing how to replace the top on a 4th Gen Firebird. I watched the video about 2 or 3 times before I started. You will need to buy or rent a small electric or air staple gun (electric ones are like $30 to buy from Lowes). Other than that, nothing special is needed. You will need some fabric adhesive (several mentioned in this thread), preferable in a spray can or something that you can spread on with a 1" brush. Set aside a weekend and do it yourself. It's not that hard.

And no, I do not have the video anymore. Someone else beat you to it.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I Did, was washing car and ever so gently went over the area below rear glass on top witha soft spunch and it seperated. Nothing is ripped andglass hasnt cracked or anything. I applied some glue i got from advanced, just went in and said whats the strongest shizzle u got. holding just fineright now, been about 2 weeks, even had a few highway runs and its holding, gonna clean-up the beed.
Heres my deal, i went to a local chevy steallership and they wanted to replace the whole fn" top, which i kinda expected, but then i talked to a private shop and they wanted to replace the glass for $550! I dont see how that would solve the problem! THe original glasss is fine, coulnt u just remove it and re-apply new adhesive? I mean thats the problem, the adhessive and not the glass or fabric. I think they just are so use to people just blindly sheeling out cash to replace the whole top all the time that they dont even attempt to repair them anymore. Any ideas of what i can do, cause im thinkin this is just a temporary fix for now!?thanx Darren
There are many tutorials on how to fox on YouTube. Rhino glue and glass suction cups. No need to but a whole new top.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

@Biggieal96 This is a 12+ year old thread. Very few of us are here anymore.

Quick Reply: Glass seperating from fabric top!