Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Help Gluing Loose Rear Window on Convertible LS1

Old 04-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Gluing Loose Rear Window on Convertible LS1

Hey everyone, the bottom portion of the rear window on my convertible LS1 has come loose from the cloth.

I read up on a thread from a few years ago and bought 3M Windo-Weld and 3M Single Step Primer (https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...oth-top-2.html). But I'm having trouble stretching the cloth back onto the window. When the top is in the closed position it won't stretch, when it's in the half-opened position the cloth barely touches the window, and any further open it just won't get into a position where I can properly glue it back on.

Any tips?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Unless you have experience I can't imagine doing a decent job with this. I sure couldn't, and the botched result would diminish my enjoyment of the car, never mind wondering when it would come apart again. How is the rest of the top?? Is it time for a replacement instead of just repairing this? If you plan on keeping your car, it probably is time to take it to a professional body shop for either just this repair or that new top. I know it's costly but if you want it done right....
Just speaking from years and years of experience owning convertibles, from Fiats to Porsches to Mustangs and Trans Ams. Best of luck!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

You can, but shouldn't glue the window back to the top. The glass is attached to the fabric using a vulcanization process. If you add glue you add extra weight and the rear window portion will sag.

I replaced the rear window piece myself (after doing countless hours of research) and it was very successful. You'd never know the back window isn't a factory piece. And for the record, I have ZERO experience working on ragtops.

I made a write up after I did it, if you want to try tackling it yourself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...placement.html
Old 05-07-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 for happysalesman writeup. One thing I noticed on your top is the center portion of the main top is curling upwards, as mine has done. Is there any way of tightening that from the rear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Gluing Loose Rear Window on Convertible LS1