Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

convertibles f-ing rule tha world. I love my car, As for the comment about HAVING to buy SBCs.... I've raced my car for 2 years now and have yet to get any and have yet to ride in a car that runs times like mine and hooks as well as it does. I'm not sure if its the extra weight that the car has but it hooks better than any hard top i've ever ridden in.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Teching In

@32of32- man your car looks awesome!! Thx for the infos too!

Another 2 questions- how expensive is a new roof top and is it hard to install?

As I say I want to buy a Black 01-02 WS6 <50K miles M6 max. 19000$ near IL. I'm not sure if I get a vert for the money- what do you think?

Last edited by Ruhrpott; 03-16-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 AM
Staging Lane

Ruhrpott,

I checked at Edmunds.com. For a Black WS6 convertible, m6 and 50,000 miles in Chicago, it shows the following prices:
2001 Private Party $16,600 Dealer $18,600
2002 Private Party $19,500 Dealer $21,500

Now, as to how hard a Black 01-02 WS6 convertible m6 is going to be to find.... You're going to have to be lucky. 221 were made in 2002. I couldn't dig up again the number made in 2001, but my memory is saying in the 700 range. So you're trying to find one of less than 1,000 cars made. I hope you find one though.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally posted by Beaflag VonRathburgHoly
crap you think anything greater than thirty is warm? Down here I think anything under sixty five is cold, but you live in the frigid tundra known as Minnesota.
The sad part is that I'm a Texas boy. I've just been up here for 10 years and have adapted to it. I'm making my escape plans though.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

how expensive is a new roof top and is it hard to install?
I am the person to help you here. The top with everything is around 400 new, whatever oem color you need. The install takes around 12 hours, it isnt hard, just time consuming. I wrote up an install guide with no pics but its word for word so that would help you, plus I am always around to answer any questions.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I'd like a vert but it doesn't have to be... I want an SS however, the WS6 is nice I just think it's too much car in the cosmetic way... too many scoops, body lines, too much wing etc etc. I like them alot but still I just wouldn't buy one that is only prefference though, not a dis. My goal is SS Camaro be it a 2000-01 or 02.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

I ended up buying my TA because I couldnt find the "right" Cobra, I found GTs, but not the right Cobra... The morning I went to look at the TA I also got offered a 95 5.0 GT, nothing wrong with that in my opinion, plenty of mods for a GT... But what didnt sell it is 1. Convertible an 2. Automatic. Im a muscle car guy, I personally dont like convertibles, and would never get a convertible "performance" car, ironic if you ask me.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charging TA
I ended up buying my TA because I couldnt find the "right" Cobra, I found GTs, but not the right Cobra... The morning I went to look at the TA I also got offered a 95 5.0 GT, nothing wrong with that in my opinion, plenty of mods for a GT... But what didnt sell it is 1. Convertible an 2. Automatic. Im a muscle car guy, I personally dont like convertibles, and would never get a convertible "performance" car, ironic if you ask me.
So are you saying a vert cant be a performance car?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it was a vette....vert is the way to go.... (except if you are serious into drag or road racing because of the roll bar)

I like F-body verts also, for some to say they aren't a real "performance" car is retarded.....
Old 03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have to convince yourself you want a convertible you are probably going to disappoint yourself.

I wanted a convertible for a long time. Not all convertibles are the same though, I have taken a ride in a couple of Miatas and the buffeting around your head is huge. Even your hair gets tugged on. The F-Body is a much calmer ride top down. When its cold, or too windy, I leave the windows up with the roof down. The dash vents blow right on your hands and arms in these cars which makes it really comfortable when its cold. A friend with a Miata says almost nothing from the vents gets to you. By comparison Consumer Reports listed the Sebring convertible as the car their readers voted "most disappointing to own".

Top up, these cars are really quite good for noise. Mine does not leak at all and is quiet on the highway. Listening carefully, road noise was coming from below head level, the roof was not the main source of noise.

I have driven top down as cold as 10F mostly for fun and I did wear a hat and gloves. It was pretty good with the heat on full.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I had a 3rd gen t-top car for 6 yrs and have had my 01 vert for about a year and a half now, When the weather is nice out the vert wins hands down over T-Tops. Trunk space sucks in the vert, but, I find it easier to load big items into the vert than the T-Top car due to the ability to drop the top, then load your cargo into the back seating area. The sound system is decent in my opinion, especially after you add a sub. I drop the top constantly as long as it isn't raining and the temp is between 60 and 100 degrees.

Do not buy a vert if:
1) you are always complaining that it is too hot or cold out.
2) you are paranoid about theft (you'll drive yourself nuts)
3) you don't like to draw attention to yourself. I don't know why, but strangers often talk to me if I have the top down.
4) you are annoyed by road noise, while it isn't much louder than a T-Top car, it is still louder IMO
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned four convertibles, driven many others and
the Camaro was the quietest of the bunch (up until a
little bit o' exhaust work ). It does leak above 75MPH
in heavy rain, at the rear of the side windows.

I think the top-up look is fine on mine, the lines are good.
Not that it spends much time that way.

Convertibles... "if you don't smoke, don't start". Once you
do, good chance of not being able to quit.

I never cared for T-tops, these or other cars. I'd rather
go commando, than thong. Dig it?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Launching!

i loved my 95 camaro vert. i got my wife with it. she wanted a ride and we were together ever since. it was pimped out with wheels spoiler ground effects strut tower brace flowmaster k&n filter nice stereo. was a sweet car. riding with the top down was freeking awesome. summer nights driving to the lake. in the summer it was alright but it gets to like 110 regularly in redding cali and ususally had the top up. the air doesn't quite work as well that is why you just point the vents into you. the stereo sounds fine in a vert. but you will hear more road noise and some wind not bad though. leave the windows up the top down and the heater cranked and the only ones complaining on a cold day are the ones riding in the back seat. mine never leaked. the only problem i had with mine was when someone wanted what i had in the back seat all they had to do was cut the top. this happened to me twice in three years. it was between 700 and 900 to have an upholstery shop do a new top. the only reason i got rid of mine was it was a v6 and a salvage title and there was 140000 miles on it. i put 75000 on it. i will have another camaro vert but mine will be a 68 with an ls1 go for the vert they are more sought after (expensive) but they are the funnest.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dustin
So are you saying a vert cant be a performance car?
Performance for me is road track (even though Im a muscle car guy, Im not into drag racing), racing wise Im a Formula (FIA) type of guy ("its all in the family"). When it comes to taking street cars onto road courses, in my opinion a convertible doesnt belong there. If you can list some benefits you would gain with a convertible at the track let me know, I dont believe there are any. Z06s are one example, no convertibles (at least C5 and C6).
Old 03-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00ultraz28
convertibles f-ing rule tha world. I love my car, As for the comment about HAVING to buy SBCs.... I've raced my car for 2 years now and have yet to get any and have yet to ride in a car that runs times like mine and hooks as well as it does. I'm not sure if its the extra weight that the car has but it hooks better than any hard top i've ever ridden in.
oh yeah as far as hooking up goes i would take mine snowboarding and while pick ups were chaining up mine just pulled right over the ice. that car was amazing. my wife and i drove to reno a few years ago in quite a hurry and it was snowing in the mountains. there was three inches of snow on the ground and that car just went right through it. we were doing 60 65 through the snow like it was nothing i probably couldn't have stopped to save my life but it held the lines. ahh to be young and stupid, but that car got better traction than any car i've ever driven.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Performance for me is road track (even though Im a muscle car guy, Im not into drag racing), racing wise Im a Formula (FIA) type of guy ("its all in the family"). When it comes to taking street cars onto road courses, in my opinion a convertible doesnt belong there. If you can list some benefits you would gain with a convertible at the track let me know, I dont believe there are any. Z06s are one example, no convertibles (at least C5 and C6).
You may lose some frame rigidity with a convertible (though
vs. T-tops, I bet not much). Whether this costs you anything
big, short of a *****-out tube frame & cage setup (which of
course you could, and people do, add to 'verts although it sure
does ugly things up), you'd have to prove to me by some sort
of in-platform example. Just because GM chose not to put the
Z06 option on 'vette, or 1LE on F 'verts, tells me nothing given
what I know and think of GM's corporate "thought process".
MY SS 'vert came with the larger sway bars that would have
been with a 1LE package, and presently has even bigger ones,
along with 1LE LCAs, higher rate springs and shocks, etc. and
no untoward handling characteristics or flex from all of that.
Of course she's still a little chubby, but that's not keeping you
off the track.

The only thing I see against convertibles in challenging road
situations is the certain injury / death should you roll it over.
But that's the odds we play every day, anyhow.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

After owning both, I think the convertibles are much nicer to own. Down here in TX, I had that top down all the time. With my T-top cars, I probably only took the tops off 3-4 times per year. Sitting at a redlight, and simply pushing a button to drop the top made the car much more enjoyable.

If I buy another f-body to daily-drive someday, it will have to be a convertible.

Tony
Old 03-16-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You may lose some frame rigidity with a convertible (though
vs. T-tops, I bet not much). Whether this costs you anything
big, short of a *****-out tube frame & cage setup (which of
course you could, and people do, add to 'verts although it sure
does ugly things up), you'd have to prove to me by some sort
of in-platform example. Just because GM chose not to put the
Z06 option on 'vette, or 1LE on F 'verts, tells me nothing given
what I know and think of GM's corporate "thought process".
MY SS 'vert came with the larger sway bars that would have
been with a 1LE package, and presently has even bigger ones,
along with 1LE LCAs, higher rate springs and shocks, etc. and
no untoward handling characteristics or flex from all of that.
Of course she's still a little chubby, but that's not keeping you
off the track.

The only thing I see against convertibles in challenging road
situations is the certain injury / death should you roll it over.
But that's the odds we play every day, anyhow.
Im not saying convertibles are bad, but for performance I wouldnt go with one. I just cant picture someone on a road course driving with a convertible, especially with the top down. I mean yeah someone would do it for fun, but other than that I dunno.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

FBody+Vert+M6+Road =
Old 03-17-2006, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kyle_l
Ruhrpott,

I checked at Edmunds.com. For a Black WS6 convertible, m6 and 50,000 miles in Chicago, it shows the following prices:
2001 Private Party $16,600 Dealer $18,600
2002 Private Party $19,500 Dealer $21,500

Now, as to how hard a Black 01-02 WS6 convertible m6 is going to be to find.... You're going to have to be lucky. 221 were made in 2002. I couldn't dig up again the number made in 2001, but my memory is saying in the 700 range. So you're trying to find one of less than 1,000 cars made. I hope you find one though.
Thx kyle_l - I started a search

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-wanted/470456-wtb-01-02-ws6-m6-black-vert-t-top-50k-near-il-june-max-19k.html

maybe someone will sell his vert?! If I get a WS6 vert it will be the first one that drives on german streets I think.

Quick Reply: Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?