Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Roll bar and daily driver safety??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Roll bar and daily driver safety??

So I'm pretty torn I like my vert although after owning a Z06 and the 430rwhp WS6 its a little lacking. Plus I can't really race it because with headers, ls6 manifold and any kind of traction there is a good chance I'll break 13.5's and if I put h/c on it then it will really not be legal.

I've been thinking about a roll cage, but my wife will be driving the car too sometimes while I know a kid or anyone in the back for that matter would be a no no, how about a driver and passenger with no helmet?? Looking at the Wolfes they seem to rest right behind the drivers head, with a helment on probably no big deal but without just seems like a head explosion waiting to happen. Anybody have some good side angle pics? How bout with people in the car? Would a set of Corbeaus help?

If it were only me probably no big deal but if my wife or a passenger were hurt or killed because I want to go drag racing a few times a year I would be crushed.

If not no biggy I'll just buy another vette in a year or two and try to lay off the major mods on this ride....

Bobby
Old 06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'2 and use my car as a daily driver. With the crossbar in and the seats leaned back against the cross bar , my head is still well forward of the main hoop and sit low enough that have 2-3 inches from top of my head.

If your woried about hitting in a side impact.......you would be screwed anyways without it so why not put it in the car and have the peace of mind.

My only issues were:
1) losing the back seat so couldn't put wife an kid in car with me.
SOLUTION: I divorced the bit@*

Seriously, the only issue I have is - if you have kids and you have non removeable door bars and they sit up front......PADDING on the door bars otherwise they could smack the bar.

(my son is 5 weighs 75lbs so he sits up front with me.)
Old 06-13-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rule 7 ss

(my son is 5 weighs 75lbs so he sits up front with me.)
That's a big boy!!!!!!!! you must be breeding a future football player
I'm on the same boat......still want to take the family for a ride once in a while.

Quick Reply: Roll bar and daily driver safety??