Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Dynamat in a vert=waste of time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynamat in a vert=waste of time?

I am replacing the carpet in my convertible and was planning to install dynamat on the floor to deaden some of the noise (gear whine from the 4.10s, loud blo-master exhuast note, etc.) Does this make sense since most of the car is open to the outside when the top is down?

Has anyone else done this in their vert? I hear people putting down 3 layers of mat down. Is this overkill?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

i honestly dont think it would be I just had the carpet out of my car and i probably would have done this too
Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

It is not a waste of time but it is not as effective as doing it in a coupe. I have done my car and it certainly cuts noise down but its clear the sound is all at ear level now where before there was sound coming from the floor.

Gear noise is really hard to mask, it is close to a pure tone and you can pick it out very easily from the background noise. Overall road noise is much louder but it is spread over a wide range of frequencies. The gear noise has a lot of energy in one spot in the spectrum so you always hear it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BJM
It is not a waste of time but it is not as effective as doing it in a coupe. I have done my car and it certainly cuts noise down but its clear the sound is all at ear level now where before there was sound coming from the floor.

Gear noise is really hard to mask, it is close to a pure tone and you can pick it out very easily from the background noise. Overall road noise is much louder but it is spread over a wide range of frequencies. The gear noise has a lot of energy in one spot in the spectrum so you always hear it.
Thanks. That more than explains it. I saw your link to your sub-box. Great job, I've been looking for something to put a base speaker in. Anyone sell a sub-box for our verts?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Default Xtreme Door kit

I was just about ready to buy a dynamat Xtreme door kit for my doors before I read this article. Maybe I can get some opinions of folks who have done this in their verts. Did this help any??
Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chipabba
Thanks. That more than explains it. I saw your link to your sub-box. Great job, I've been looking for something to put a base speaker in. Anyone sell a sub-box for our verts?
i got mine from subthump...i may eventually sell it to
Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RawDawg
I was just about ready to buy a dynamat Xtreme door kit for my doors before I read this article. Maybe I can get some opinions of folks who have done this in their verts. Did this help any??
I did the inside of my doors as part of doing the rest of the car. I can tell a difference having done it. Everywhere I did including the doors made an obvious difference but there is no getting away from the fact these are loud cars overall.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I did the inside of my doors as part of doing the rest of the car. I can tell a difference having done it. Everywhere I did including the doors made an obvious difference but there is no getting away from the fact these are loud cars overall.
What else did you dynamat other than the doors?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

I have had the Brown Bread (made by b-quiet) in my car for quite some time. I installed in the doors and entire cabin but not the trunk because I did not order enough material. Anyway, it did help quiet down road noise. I think it's worth doing it. But I say it's got to be Dynamat Xtreme or something equivalent, like the Brown Bread (now called b-quiet Ultimate). Regular Dynamat just won't do it.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my doors, but it was more to deaden them down and give the front door speakers something a little bit more dead to work with - more for rattle killing than noise drop.

If you do the whole car, you'll be able to notice the difference, but to do it for noise reduction seems pretty silly.

I mean you could spend all that money and time on sound deadener, make the car heavier, and get a pretty small benefit to noise levels.

Or, you could put a restrictor cone or add another bullet to your exhaust, spending the same or potential much less money, take what is likely a very similar performance hit (loss of hp vs. adding of weight), and make a HUGE difference in your cruising volumes.

I know which one I'd pick.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Todd, so it did kill the rattling sounds from the door...? I want to do mine of the same reason.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I did my whole vert, from the trunk up to just under the rubber mat behind the dash. Honestly, I'd do it again. It was worth it to me. The vert "seems" more solid and less rattly. Doors give a nice 'thunk' when closing. My car's just a cruising daily driver, I'm not worried about 'speed' (I have my 98Z for that ).

Something I find funny is that pretty much the only 'stock' part of my vert's entire engine system - is the muffler. My 383 feels like it's trying to blow hard through a straw, but the car overall is nice and quiet, with a kinda mean idle. I do have a dual/dual system that I might put on the car though.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RawDawg
What else did you dynamat other than the doors?
I did the doors, the floor from firewall right into the trunk. I used the bQuiet ultimate. On top of the floor and the hump over the axle I placed their rubber backed foam sheets. I laid a piece down each side (not over the hump). The floor in my car is much quieter now.

For the convertibles, I find the whole car boomier than a coupe with the roof up and doing the trunk tub helps. The trunk tub is a thin wall piece with no real bracing and stuck next to the axle and mufflers and it connects into the cabin with no real barrier like a car with a normal trunk would do.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

i did my whole car. so now i get all the noise were the glass meets the roof
Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

how much weight would it add?? lol
Old 11-04-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you pay attention to the doors with some dynamat or even just some well placed felt you can take care of the rattles. The main points are the mounting bracket and area around the speaker, the lock rod, and the grill area on the door panel. It isn't necessary to do the whole door but if you do it'll make them more solid, you'll be able to tell closing the door, for example.

For weight, sound deader isn't light. To do the entire car, you're talking enough weight to offset a real 10hp gain. So choosing a quieter exhaust instead of sound deadener isn't necessarily a poor decision even with performance in mind.

Dual/duals are rather quiet and flow comparably to the best out there. I mean if you want an aggressive exhaust, that's fine, and I understand that. But if you added that loud exhaust purely for the performance benefit, and then try to use sound deadener to quiet it down... it's like buying a really expensive band aid.

My car has a Corsa on it right now and I fabbed up a "cone of silence" to tone it down. I drive the car long distances too much for even the Corsa to be bearable. However I also wasn't pleased with the near silent factory exhaust, so I don't regret it. It's a tough balance.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

My car has a Corsa on it right now and I fabbed up a "cone of silence" to tone it down. I drive the car long distances too much for even the Corsa to be bearable. However I also wasn't pleased with the near silent factory exhaust, so I don't regret it. It's a tough balance.
Power cutout combined with a dual/dual is the way to go. I had that on my last car. Quiet most of the time and mean as hell with the flip of a switch when needed.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

O.K., so I just finished the entire car with the exception of the doors. I really like the difference already. Although it's still noisy, the sounds are more "muted" and the car has a slightly heavier feel to it. I think I went through about 70 square yards of the stuff. I used 36 of the Dynamat and rest in Fatmat. The Fatmat left a "tar" smell in the car. I took the previous recommendation and did the rear wheel wells and I like the difference in road noise. I notice the biggest difference with the top up, windows closed, stereo thumpin'. I'm doing the doors next as the passenger side window motor is on its' last leg. Sub woofer is next.............I'm open to suggestions.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chipabba
O.K., so I just finished the entire car with the exception of the doors. I really like the difference already. Although it's still noisy, the sounds are more "muted" and the car has a slightly heavier feel to it. I think I went through about 70 square yards of the stuff. I used 36 of the Dynamat and rest in Fatmat. The Fatmat left a "tar" smell in the car. I took the previous recommendation and did the rear wheel wells and I like the difference in road noise. I notice the biggest difference with the top up, windows closed, stereo thumpin'. I'm doing the doors next as the passenger side window motor is on its' last leg. Sub woofer is next.............I'm open to suggestions.
The smell will be gone soon, each day its get better.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BJM
The smell will be gone soon, each day its get better.

Actually I was kinda getting off on it!!

Quick Reply: Dynamat in a vert=waste of time?