Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

TechCo 3L TwinScrew

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this kit $8500 where KB is $7k and it comes with a hood? I love the way the kit looks but I'm curious as to why it's so expensive. Also the polished version is $10k where as the last KB I saw was $7500 polished. Anybody know why this kit is so high? I've never heard any bad about KB so I'm sure it can't be that much better quality.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they're pricing it that high for 2 reasons:

A) Because it's new and they have to start production of it on a mass scale.
B) Because it's the ONLY one that fits under the stock hood, so they can take advantage of that monopoly.

Just guessing though.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

i believe the $8k price tag is including install and tune.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If that's true, they're not far from me. Anaheim is about an hour away from where I live now and about 5 min away from where I'm moving to. I wonder if they'll need a C5 to test on.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's counting install and tune that's not too bad....unless you live 2k miles away like me and would have to take it somewhere else.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd still like to know how much power they're making on LS1s and LS6s with what pullies.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT

Any word on when this is going to be available for C5s or if it is even going to be made for the C5?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Launching!

They're not being made for the LS1 / LS2 / LS6. You'll need to swap to LS3 heads to get it working.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

i really want to see what this blower is capable of when we start seeing them dropped onto forged motors. a 3 liter twin-screw (large displacement) with a very large air cooling capacity and nice long runners.... should be capable of a **** load of power.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LyleU
They're not being made for the LS1 / LS2 / LS6. You'll need to swap to LS3 heads to get it working.
Yeah, I found that out Sunday.

And the 8.5K isn't including install. I don't know if I'm willing to buy $1.2K LS3 heads, an $8.5K supercharger, and pay for install for a stock LS6 motor. It just doesn't seem worth it. I'm going out to the Techco shop on the 18th with my car. I'd like to see what they've got. They'll have the LS3 car out there, from what I understand.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

This kit made 514hp there is a post on CF. Don't waste your money.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably go with the A&A Corvette ProCharger setup.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tollway bandit 1
This kit made 514hp there is a post on CF. Don't waste your money.

so wait a minute. the blower gets put on a stock block, at probably something like 5-6lbs of boost with no headers or anything and it puts out 514rwhp, and you say "F it, go buy something else."??

Ok. Well, if you make your mind up so easily, upon seeing 1 example of something, then i dont know what to tell you. Since these guys have experience doing the blowers with mustangs (i think it was saleen) and had alot of success with that, i dont think they are going to waste all this time and money designing a blower system and have it max out at 520rwhp.

i am pretty sure this system is going to put out alot of power. If by some chance it doesnt, doesnt affect me none.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
so wait a minute. the blower gets put on a stock block, at probably something like 5-6lbs of boost with no headers or anything and it puts out 514rwhp, and you say "F it, go buy something else."??

Ok. Well, if you make your mind up so easily, upon seeing 1 example of something, then i dont know what to tell you. Since these guys have experience doing the blowers with mustangs (i think it was saleen) and had alot of success with that, i dont think they are going to waste all this time and money designing a blower system and have it max out at 520rwhp.

i am pretty sure this system is going to put out alot of power. If by some chance it doesnt, doesnt affect me none.
It's not to say we don't want to use it because it "only made 514RWHP". But it's the price difference. Obviously it's not going to make an enormous amount of power on a stock motor without blowing it up, but I've pretty much made up my mind that the amount of money it would take to put this blower on a stock internals C5 would be retarded as compared to the centrifugal superchargers or even a KB 2.4L blower. I mean, honestly, the HOOD comes with the KB and it's still only $6.5K. I understand their's the mass production variable, but ATM, it's not worth it to spend $10+K on a blower setup that will make the same power as a $5.5K blower on stock internals.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: By the way, if this blower was setup for LS1 or LS6 heads, it WOULD be in consideration for my next upgrade.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Teching In

The car did have headers and there was at least one other car with the same power numbers. I agree the boost was really low but for 10k I would be pissed with less than 50 ft-lbs of torque improvement. As mentioned there are many other vendors providing much more improvement with less investment.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by montac
The car did have headers and there was at least one other car with the same power numbers. I agree the boost was really low but for 10k I would be pissed with less than 50 ft-lbs of torque improvement. As mentioned there are many other vendors providing much more improvement with less investment.

The car made 420ish hp before the blower. Damn, I would have put the 100 shot on it and called it a day. All that work to gain like 80hp
Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
It's not to say we don't want to use it because it "only made 514RWHP". But it's the price difference. Obviously it's not going to make an enormous amount of power on a stock motor without blowing it up, but I've pretty much made up my mind that the amount of money it would take to put this blower on a stock internals C5 would be retarded as compared to the centrifugal superchargers or even a KB 2.4L blower. I mean, honestly, the HOOD comes with the KB and it's still only $6.5K. I understand their's the mass production variable, but ATM, it's not worth it to spend $10+K on a blower setup that will make the same power as a $5.5K blower on stock internals.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: By the way, if this blower was setup for LS1 or LS6 heads, it WOULD be in consideration for my next upgrade.

Ohh. My mistake, i did not realize you were looking at it from a cost effective view on a stock block. Since that is the case, you are absolutely right, i would go with a KB. Not fond of centrifigal blowers personally, but maybe thats me.

Anyway, i was speaking from a "forged block, lets rock" perspective on this blower system and its power potential and cost. I think on a forged block, if you are looking to put out some serious power, this system has got it ALL. What i mean by that is that it will have some serious power potential at 3 liters, and it has the full rpm range power band being a twin screw. The new design also keeps the hood, puts larger intercoolers in, as well as very long runners. I wouldnt be surprised if this thing has 1000hp potential and does so efficiently. That is awesome for someone who wants that high hp number, but also loves low end, instant torque of a postive displacement blower.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by montac
Well, go get any one of those other systems and put a pulley on so large (or set the turbo to barely run), and then you can be mad about spending $5000-7000 dollars for 80rwhp there as well. Whats your point here?
if it is that it doesnt make sense to buy this system if you are going to run the boost levels that an older 112 or 122 maggie could run, i agree with you.
if you are saying that this system sucks and maxed out at 80rwhp.... well then. I guess we will just wait and see.

Originally Posted by tollway bandit 1
The car made 420ish hp before the blower. Damn, I would have put the 100 shot on it and called it a day. All that work to gain like 80hp
yes, to buy this system and barely have it turning is a waste.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ohh. My mistake, i did not realize you were looking at it from a cost effective view on a stock block. Since that is the case, you are absolutely right, i would go with a KB. Not fond of centrifigal blowers personally, but maybe thats me.

Anyway, i was speaking from a "forged block, lets rock" perspective on this blower system and its power potential and cost. I think on a forged block, if you are looking to put out some serious power, this system has got it ALL. What i mean by that is that it will have some serious power potential at 3 liters, and it has the full rpm range power band being a twin screw. The new design also keeps the hood, puts larger intercoolers in, as well as very long runners. I wouldnt be surprised if this thing has 1000hp potential and does so efficiently. That is awesome for someone who wants that high hp number, but also loves low end, instant torque of a postive displacement blower.
Full-heartedly agree.

The system would be PERFECT if I was spending the money on the car to have a forged motor. I think at that point I'd WANT the L92/LS3 heads and a bore done. But my car really is a daily that I'd like to be a bit peppier.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Well, go get any one of those other systems and put a pulley on so large (or set the turbo to barely run), and then you can be mad about spending $5000-7000 dollars for 80rwhp there as well. Whats your point here?
if it is that it doesnt make sense to buy this system if you are going to run the boost levels that an older 112 or 122 maggie could run, i agree with you.
if you are saying that this system sucks and maxed out at 80rwhp.... well then. I guess we will just wait and see.

yes, to buy this system and barely have it turning is a waste.
Easy man. I agree with you! I'm sorry if it came off as me bashing the system. My only point was that $10k for 80hp and 50ft-lbs of torque is insane. It is mentioned many times in the other forum that this is a super conservative tune and the only way TechCo would give the customer a 3yr/36,000mile warranty. IMO there are much less expensive and less complicated ways to get to that power level.

I'm with you in that it looks like it could have potential but the only high HP data point I've seen is one engine dyno pull on a built Hemi. I'm not interested in warranties or potential. I would like to see the blower with big boost on a built motor in real world conditions. Then things like belt slip and intake temps can be evaluated. Until then I think most of the high hp guys will shy away in favor of more proven setups.

Charlie

Quick Reply: TechCo 3L TwinScrew