C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

TechCo 3L TwinScrew

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Yeah, I found that out Sunday.

And the 8.5K isn't including install. I don't know if I'm willing to buy $1.2K LS3 heads, an $8.5K supercharger, and pay for install for a stock LS6 motor. It just doesn't seem worth it. I'm going out to the Techco shop on the 18th with my car. I'd like to see what they've got. They'll have the LS3 car out there, from what I understand.
It's not geared towards C5s though, just LS3 C6s. They'll have to develop a new manifold for the older LS engines and they know more C6 LS3 owners will spend more $$$ than C5 owners. Maybe once the C6s kits drop in demand they'll look at older engines.

$$$$ / HP centri. blower is the best route to go. You're looking at $6500 for the KB + hood painting / install (probably another $500). I think A&A's base centri. kits are ~$5500. People still buy PD blowers and nearly $10k turbo kits though.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Full-heartedly agree.

The system would be PERFECT if I was spending the money on the car to have a forged motor. I think at that point I'd WANT the L92/LS3 heads and a bore done. But my car really is a daily that I'd like to be a bit peppier.
Yeah, for what you want out of your car and your goals, i agree that this system would be a poor choice for you. You would be spending more money than you needed to for no forseeable reason.

Originally Posted by montac
Easy man. I agree with you! I'm sorry if it came off as me bashing the system. My only point was that $10k for 80hp and 50ft-lbs of torque is insane. It is mentioned many times in the other forum that this is a super conservative tune and the only way TechCo would give the customer a 3yr/36,000mile warranty. IMO there are much less expensive and less complicated ways to get to that power level.

I'm with you in that it looks like it could have potential but the only high HP data point I've seen is one engine dyno pull on a built Hemi. I'm not interested in warranties or potential. I would like to see the blower with big boost on a built motor in real world conditions. Then things like belt slip and intake temps can be evaluated. Until then I think most of the high hp guys will shy away in favor of more proven setups.

Charlie
I'm sorry, did i come across as getting worked up? I was not at all, so i apologize if i came across as argumentative or anything. I agree with everything you are saying here. If someone was looking to give their car a bump in perormance without going big, then yes there are other less expensive options that would be a better fit IMHO. I am looking forward to seeing what the power potential is out of this system on an LS3, LS7, or LSX when forged and cranked up.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LyleU
It's not geared towards C5s though, just LS3 C6s. They'll have to develop a new manifold for the older LS engines and they know more C6 LS3 owners will spend more $$$ than C5 owners. Maybe once the C6s kits drop in demand they'll look at older engines.

$$$$ / HP centri. blower is the best route to go. You're looking at $6500 for the KB + hood painting / install (probably another $500). I think A&A's base centri. kits are ~$5500. People still buy PD blowers and nearly $10k turbo kits though.
Yep. I think A&A's kit is on sale right now for $5200, which is an awesome deal. I'll need to wait a couple months before I can buy anything though because I'm still doing a lot of work to the car and paying off my debts first. But A&A's kit is definitely the best bang for the buck and I can install it myself. So it will likely be the kit I go with.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

$5200 for a forced induction setup is a kick *** deal. Even though i dont like Centri-blowers, for a deal like that i may be pursuaded to go that route if i was going to put a FI kit on my car.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Yup. That works for me too. I'd prefer roots over centrifugal, but both work for my purpose and with the way I drive, I won't need instant boost at low RPM. Besides, in the end, the Centrifugal is technically more efficient which makes me like it more.

If I had the money, I'd go with a staged twin turbo kit on a forged block, but we all have our dream setup!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ Yup. That works for me too. I'd prefer roots over centrifugal, but both work for my purpose and with the way I drive, I won't need instant boost at low RPM. Besides, in the end, the Centrifugal is technically more efficient which makes me like it more.

If I had the money, I'd go with a staged twin turbo kit on a forged block, but we all have our dream setup!
I know the centri was far more efficient than the older (mp 112 and mp122) roots blowers. However, i am not sure if they are more efficient than the newer TVS roots blowers, or the twin screw blowers (like KB or this Techco blower).
Does anyone happen to know the efficieny ratings of these blowers for comparison?

I hear you as far as fitting your needs. If the $5200 system fits your needs, you would be wise to jump on it. As far as a twin screw on a forged block..yum. That would be sweet. If i had the money to not only buy this setup, but to spend on tuning it and upkeep if anything breaks, i would do this setup to at least 1 of my cars to see how it works. that would be very sexy.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I totally agree.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

I'd go with a staged twin turbo kit on a forged block, but we all have our dream setup!
I think that is EVERYONE's dream setup.
But, I prefer the simplicity of belt drives for a daily driver.

I am interested in a twin scews because they can offer the simplicity of a belt drive along with the strong low/mid RPM of a turbo.
Roots have never been an option. The MP112 and MP122 are terribly inefficient and I am reluctant to every buy from Magna since they've been pushing them for so long.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 427C5
I think that is EVERYONE's dream setup.
But, I prefer the simplicity of belt drives for a daily driver.

I am interested in a twin scews because they can offer the simplicity of a belt drive along with the strong low/mid RPM of a turbo.
Roots have never been an option. The MP112 and MP122 are terribly inefficient and I am reluctant to every buy from Magna since they've been pushing them for so long.
But 427C5, Don't you know your opinion doesn't count? You have a problem with Magnuson and BLown Chevy recommending a blower that you felt doesnt have much upward mobility and is underpowered\undersized for a high power build on an LS2, therefore nothing you say on this blower matters as it is possible competition for magnuson.

Silly Gooth.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
But 427C5, Don't you know your opinion doesn't count? You have a problem with Magnuson and BLown Chevy recommending a blower that you felt doesnt have much upward mobility and is underpowered\undersized for a high power build on an LS2, therefore nothing you say on this blower matters as it is possible competition for magnuson.

Silly Gooth.
Can you clarify your confusing post?

Last edited by 427C5; 07-24-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johny GTO

Silly Gooth.
Can you clarify your confusing post?
Sorry. My post was satire. i wasnt actually talking trash to you. let me clarify...

ok. I am sure you recall ( i think it even happened in the beginning of this thread) how people were saying you are pushing the Techco system, that you have a vested interest in this systems success, that perhaps you are related in some way tot he company, etc. Then Blown Chevy and you had words, where he was accusing you have having a personal grudge against him and talking trash about magnusson.

Everything you said about the maggie 112 and 122 blowers (they were too small for our motors, were inefficient, overpriced, etc) was being dismissed and written off as you talking trash about magnusson because ...
1. you had a personal vendetta againt Blown Chevy
2. you had a personal vendetta against magnusson
3. you had money inveested in Techco
4. you were some how connected to Techco
5. you just had a hard on for Maggie, and wanted to trash the product, etc.

SO WHAT I WAS PLAYING ON IN THE POST YOU ASKED ME TO CLARIFY
was how some were dismissing what you had to say. Since you werent praising Blown Chevy and MAgnusson, you needed to not only be ignored but burned at the stake for being critical of a sponsor. It was just me being silly.

i dont know you and i dont know what you have against magnusson, other than what you stated on the board. You said you felt the company was shady (not your exact words) because they were selling and pushing a blower that was far to small for a 6.0 liter motor. that it was maxed out on the 4.6 mustang, yet they pushed it on us because they knew we had no other choices for PD blowers and they wanted the money.

As for where i stand.... i agree with you on the techco blower. I think it is going to prove itself to be a kick *** system with huge power potential, great performance, and reliability. They did some nice innovation and design to get it to fit under the hoods, without losing efficiency. in fact, they gained efficiency by going to the dual core, removable, cube style, intercooler in the manifold. They also have very long runners because of the inverted design, which will also help performance.

As far as having a beef with maggie or Blown Chevy, that is none of my business. I dont have a comment either way.

Whats funny is that for a few posts there, people were assuming you and i were in cahoots, like tag teaming up on Maggie and pushing the Techco. It took me what, 3 or 4 posts to get it across that not only was i not your "tag team partner", but i had no vested interest in seeing the TECHCO twin screw blower succeed other than wanting more options for our cars!! lol.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm so paranoid about Brian and his girls stalking me, I thought you were actually starting **** with me.

Just so there is no confusion, I do think Brian is a douche and buyer beware a company that pushes inefficient blowers. If the 2300 proves to be the best blower for the G8/Camaro, it will be because EATON designed it, and not any 3rd party vendor that tries to take responsibility. I'm looking forward to other twin screw and twin turbo options as well.

TO keep it "honest"about Techco:
We still need them to run 10psi on a stock motor with long tubes, injectors, and a boost-a-pump to see if Techco is the real deal.
The 2 LS3's they done so far have only got 6psi with 91 octane on bone stock cars because the owners wanted a powertrain warranty from Techco. The community is getting restless, and so am I.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

We still need them to run 10psi on a stock motor with long tubes, injectors, and a boost-a-pump to see if Techco is the real deal.
The 2 LS3's they done so far have only got 6psi with 91 octane on bone stock cars because the owners wanted a powertrain warranty from Techco. The community is getting restless, and so am I.

I wouldnt worry. A new system, one of the first installs and real world operation, being installed on a stock block, no headers, nothing, running boost so low that it may be out of the 3 liter blowers efficiency range, a tune that i am sure is very conservative due to the 91 octane and the powertrain warranty.

We will see some real results when the first person shows up with a forged block, headers, possibly a cam, and wants the blower installed and wants to push 10-15lbs of boost. I think we will see some eye opening power when this system is used the way it is intended, to put out some boost.

Running it the way it was on those 6lb bost stock cars, in my opinion would be like having a kick *** custom twin-turbo setup that has big turbos setup to push 1000+ horse power and running the turbos at 6lbs of boost. The turbo system would be under performing compared to cheaper, smaller turbo setups that dont have near the potential. It also would be taking a long time to spool. But would someone argue that this big power, custom fabbed turbo system is weak? would anyone say its a dud, it doesnt put up the numbers, etc???

Yes, running boost levels like that on a stock block, with a safe on 91 octane and warranty safe tune, the Techco blower is not going to look impressive. Just like the custom fabbed big twin turbo system i hypothetically referenced, it wont seem all that great. And for that type of application, IT ISNT THAT GREAT!!! However, when you turn that boost level up, put some headers on the motor, even forge the motor....LOOK OUT!!

I am not concerned. Wait until we see the blower pushing 10+lbs on a forged, modded motor.

Quick Reply: TechCo 3L TwinScrew