Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

This sucks...Really sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man jealous people in this world **** me off!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man, I feel for dude. I am constantly amazed at how screwed up people are that could do something like that.

It's going to be a bitch to get rid of the smell. Hopefully insurance will write it off.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

sorry to hear that? on the subject of the burn smell though, wouldnt an option, albeit an expensive one, be to replace the entire interior? i cant imagine that it would still linger after that.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Two things that smell the worst...dead organic life forms and burnt plastic/rubber. Did you ever watch Myth Busters where they put a pig carcass into a C4 Vette and let cure for a few days? They could not remove the smell even though they gutted the entire interior.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Default The final word

To start for all the people who said look at the film there is none in that area and it was 5 AM so very dark. The car was too far from any lights in fact on the other side of a low hedge from the main hospital. After keeping my car for 2 weeks the arson cops have nothing. This is not suprising the vandels never touched the doors just cut the top and threw the flares.
So it has now spent a week at the auto body shop to get a estimate. They decided that they would have to replace the whole interior at $25,000 so it was a total. I had spoken to the insurance case manager about how to figure value. I had checked Kelly Blue Book. Their quote was Excellent shape $22,000, Fair $19,500, Poor $ 17,000. I was hoping for $20,000+. I asked the case manager about this and he said that KBB is about a year old and with the economy the way it is these figures are not accurate. He said use Edmonds their numbers were Excellent $20,500, Fair $ 18,000, Poor $16,500. This was not sounding very positive. I had planned to buy the car back since it has heads,cam, intake, exhaust, headers. I was told that to buy back is usally 25% of whatever the value of the car is determined to be. So today the numbers finally came down. Car value $19,100 ( in the neighborhood of what I had hoped for. Then the salvage/buyback value I heard $15,010 !!!! I went off "$15K to buy back a $19K car what is this s*!t". The adjuster very calmly said "Jeff you are not listening that is $1,500. I can't believe it the car runs, the rims have to be worth that much." So needless to say I told them I would buy the car back. Finally some good news on this deal.
So I think one of these may be in my future:
http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

Jeffy'

Last edited by jeffyvette; 12-20-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeffyvette
To start for all the people who said look at the film there is none in that area and it was 5 AM so very dark. The car was too far from any lights in fact on the other side of a low hedge from the main hospital. After keeping my car for 2 weeks the arson cops have nothing. This is not suprising the vandels never touched the doors just cut the top and threw the flares.
So it has now spent a week at the auto body shop to get a estimate. They decided that they would have to replace the whole interior at $25,000 so it was a total. I had spoken to the insurance case manager about how to figure value. I had checked Kelly Blue Book. Their quote was Excellent shape $22,000, Fair $19,500, Poor $ 17,000. I was hoping for $20,000+. I asked the case manager about this and he said that KBB is about a year old and with the economy the way it is these figures are not accurate. He said use Edmonds their numbers were Excellent $20,500, Fair $ 18,000, Poor $16,500. This was not sounding very positive. I had planned to buy the car back since it has heads,cam, intake, exhaust, headers. I was told that to buy back is usally 25% of whatever the value of the car is determined to be. So today the numbers finally came down. Car value $19,100 ( in the neighborhood of what I had hoped for. Then the salvage/buyback value I heard $15,010 !!!! I went off "$15K to buy back a $19K car what is this s*!t". The adjuster very calmly said "Jeff you are not listening that is $1,500. I can't believe it the car runs, the rims have to be worth that much." So needless to say I told them I would buy the car back. Finally some good news on this deal.

Jeffy'
Good to hear that you are at least getting close to what you wanted. I can't believe it runs either, lol!
That GTM would be sweet, and you have the perfect car to do it!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No one is mad at me. No cameras caught anything. I don't owe anyone money. The car was locked top up, they just cut a hole through the top.
Jeffy'

For what it's worth, I would have beat the ever living **** out of someone if I saw them do that to ANYBODYS car.

Thats a real shame man. Sorry to hear/see that. Sucks ***. I'd imagine the car is totaled now? I mean, the entire interior would have to be changed?..

Such a shame,..again, sorry to see that man. People just really suck these days.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeffy'

Well GOOD for you man. Best wishes.

Need a co-driver?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I'd say you caught the car a minute or so after it was actually done. The people were probably still in the area. Sounds like you are getting a decent deal from the insurance company though.

Buy yourself a beater to take to work for now on.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the heat to their hood, have them strip down butt naked, and beat their a$$ with a belt...

Quick Reply: This sucks...Really sucks