C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

This sucks...Really sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This sucks...Really sucks

Posted by me on Corvette Forum on 11/24/08

I was at work last night and a guy that had just left calls and says "dude your car is on fire". As always I said "ya right, bull****", how often do people say that something has happened to your car to get a rise out of you. So he says again "dude your car is REALLY on fire". I run out and sure enough my car is smoldering with flames licking up the seats and on cloth top. As I run back into the hospital where I work and grab a fire extinguisher I am thinking how the hell did this start. I was able to put it out with ease. Then suddenly the fire starts again on the passenger floor and it is a strange red color, but I put it out again. It was then I noticed that where the strange red flame was is a half burnt hazard flare as I looked further it looks like someone cut the top and threw a flare on each seat and the one on the floor. So damage is both seats, the top, jockey box between seats, and some burn marks on the carpet. I guess I should add the fire extinguisher powder is everywhere. So the fire department showed up after it was out, the police came and took a report. There was nothing stolen so it just became a arson case. I am sure the car would run all the lights came on when I opened the door and the doors unlocked with the fob. But the arson investigator could not get himself out to see the car so they impounded it for investigation. I fly out of town on Tuesday for the holiday so I will have to try and coordinate this via phone until I get back a week from Monday. I don't have pictures so I will post when I can get some.
I am torn on what I want the insurance company to do. On one side if they fix it they will never get the burn smell out of it, on the other hand if they were to total it then I lose all the mods I have put into it. So I guess all I can do is see.
Jeffy'

How it use to look

2000 Magnetic Red Convertable

The powder you see is from the fire extingisher.

Roof:
http://www.boomspeed.com/jeffyvette/roof.JPG

Driverseat:
http://www.boomspeed.com/jeffyvette/driverseat.JPG

Passenger seat with burnt sunglasses and CDs with in case:
http://www.boomspeed.com/jeffyvette/passseat.JPG

Between seats from passenger side:
http://www.boomspeed.com/jeffyvette/betweenseat.JPG

Another shot between seats:
http://www.boomspeed.com/jeffyvette/betweenseat2.JPG
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy crap that is horrible! Did you have the top down or windows down???
Old 12-07-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

what the f-uck!!! what? why...? im bettin som eone thought is was somebodyelses car. seems too planed out. or...old lady problems?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people these days really ******* **** me off. why would you do that kind of **** to someones car?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You owe anyone money?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Most hospitals have roof-mounted cameras for liability purposes, perhaps the employee parking lot is monitored?

Either way, that really sucks man - I had something similar happen to me once and I can still remember how violated I felt. My suggestion would be to salvage what you can and have the insurance company total it. Even if you can fix it, it'll never feel the same; trust me.

Hopefully the POS that did it will light himself on fire someday.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Default No suspects

No one is mad at me. No cameras caught anything. I don't owe anyone money. The car was locked top up, they just cut a hole through the top.
Jeffy'
Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, man. I'm sorry to hear about this.

How do you **** with a man's car? You just don't do it.....
Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Let the insurance company total it out and pay you off. You can then settle on a price and buy the car back, usually very very cheap. Then you can pull all your mods and/or fix it if you can live with it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

sorry to heer about that my frind i hope the insurance people will sort you out
Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffyvette
No one is mad at me. No cameras caught anything. I don't owe anyone money. The car was locked top up, they just cut a hole through the top.
Jeffy'
Well then that just plain sucks. I can't think of a punishment deserving enough for those ********...perhaps castration followed by infecting them with a non contagious terminal disease. But still doesn't seem deserving enough.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Makes you wonder what goes on in the minds of people that will do something like this.

It's possible with new carpet, new seat covers, new top and a good inside cleaning it will be ok. Your insurance should take care of this. Who knows, it might smell like a new car inside after it's fixed!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is Crazy! Never heard of anything like that. Glad you are ok and not in
the car when the terrorist attack happended..
Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Fricking A-holes everywhere!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

man that SUCKS!

I think, if it were me, I'd of let it burn and not bother with all the b.s. of it. Was pretty dangerous just putting it out, besides having a mess to deal with.
Great thing about our cars... they made a LOT of them.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SlwSVT
Let the insurance company total it out and pay you off. You can then settle on a price and buy the car back, usually very very cheap. Then you can pull all your mods and/or fix it if you can live with it.

Definatly the best option ^^^
Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

F***ing Idiot(s), probably a loser who relies on a bus pass for transportation. Glad you are safe, get the insurance check and get another!!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry man. Definately someone that was jealous of your car. Still sad that people hate on these cars that are only worth like 15-20k.
I still hear stories about people having their tops cut, or there seats cut when they leave their top off. Luckily I've only suffered from a few scratches from people who can only afford a $500 pick up truck.

Collect your insurance money, buy another corvette, and buy a cheap daily driver to take to work. If you live in a bad neighborhood then I suggest you park it inside.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

no cameras and no one saw anything at a hospital?! I can tell you from experience that alot of the time some one comes forward 5 months later with info. As far as the car, cant you pull the motor, breaks and most of what is salvagable after the investigation and before you negotiate with ins?? Its in a city contracted lot, not the ins company's. When you have extensive modifications on the car you can usually bring receipts to the ins. co and have them accomodate the actual value. Its like insurance for an L88 vette. New they were like 6K now they are worth 500K. Hindsight is 20/20 I know. I would at least swap the motor if they are giving you the value of a stock vette then give them a stock vette. Dont bow down to those people.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

This is how society is becoming and Law Enforcement has less and less power to act on it. Newspapers want to show you "evil" cops that shoot a guy at his house. They leave out that the guy shot at his wife and then leveled a 45 cal at officers. Let me guess, not a single news van to document the ARSON!!!

Quick Reply: This sucks...Really sucks