C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

GTO or C6 - Both owners input needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO or C6 - Both owners input needed

Hey guys,

I need some input/advice on what to do in the spring. This fall I bought a '04 GTO, the car is mint, beautiful Barbado's Blue (1 of 271), 11,000 miles. The car is amazing looking, and has some ***** with a LPE sleeper cam and Procharger D1SC. On a "gas saving" tune, she puts down 540rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. I've only put a few hundred miles on it (then put it away for winter). But I fell in love with the car because its so comfortable and quiet, yet still powerful.

My '02 WS6 which is loud and harsh is now the black sheep in my 'collection'. Its turning more and more into a drag car.

But the more I look at the C6 vettes, the more I want one. But supercharged as well.

How much are the C6's going for? With the same mileage (11,000)? What would it cost to build it up to the 600+hp range?

Also, what do you think would be a better car? The GTO handles very nice, with a Peddlers Stage 2 suspension kit on it, very nice low rumble to it.

What do you think would draw more attention? My personal experience has been that the GTO is a total sleeper, but it does catch attention. And when it does, everyone wants to know about it. While I love the vettes, most people don't pay much attention to them because its "out of their range"....while the GTO's, are more within their range they feel, beats me

Sell the Goat and save for a C6 + mods? Btw I got the GTO for a song, so I'll be making some coin when/if I sell it

but yet I hate to sell it since it was such a short production run... i'm lost!

advice! thanks!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Just my opinion but on the same day back in 05, I got to drive an 04 GTO and 05 Vette, at a GM track day. Went from the GTO to the C6 and never looked back. I came from a 500rwhp 03 Cobra at the time as well. Unless you need to keep the back seat, go C6. Though the interior of the GTO was a bit nicer.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vette!!!!!!!!!!! there's a reason the goat ain't around anymore don't get me wrong they are nice cars.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

C6 all the way and you can get 05's for $25-27K now and 06's for $26-29K. Try for an 06 if possible, do a search for a few updates.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

what are the '06's running out of the box?

And how strong is the IRS on the things? Good for XXXhp?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

I had a stock A4 2005 LS2 GTO with stock head/cam that is a high 11 second car. She had Nitto 555 drag radials, 1 7/8 ARH headers, 3200 Vig. stall, exhaust cutouts, and a great tune by Chuck of horsepowerengineering.com. My best was 12.12, but the guy I sold it to dropped some weight and got an 11.90. It is great bang for the buck and a sleeper. Actually the LS2 GTO is one hell of a car. I sold mine in July 07 and miss her badly. At this point in time the best car I have ever owned, and I am 54 years old with many cars in my past. I paid around 30K for her brand new in Oct. 2005 with GM employee pricing. I loved her color of impulse blue with the blue seats. At the track, she was beyond easy to drive, just heat up the tires, put her in 3, and haul azz on the last yellow.

That being said, I have a new 2009 A6 C6 LS3 2LT, non Z51 with 2.73 paddle shift gears. The MSRP was around 53K and I got her for about 46K. There is no way the GTO comes close to the Vette. Not even in the same universe, and I was BEYOND LOYAL to my GTO. Talk about an attention getter! Gets a lot better gas mileage and is very fast. The handling is way better, and no matter which car is faster, I get a better seat of the pants feel in the Vette than I ever got in my GTO. I will take the Vette to the track in mid January and see what she will do in the quarter, I am guessing about 12.4-12.8 bone stock (Houston raceway park is a good place to be in the winter). Resale should go to the Vette in a big way.

IMHO, just get the Vette, but there is nothing wrong with your GTO.

Last edited by old_goat; 12-26-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

So what would I be looking in $$ (parts only) to get a '06 C6 to the same or better hp as my GTO?

Feeling that heavy car push you in the seat with the supercharger is amazing.

I just did a quick search on autotrader, and everything is going super high. I didn't see anything in the for sale sections here. Whats a good vette forum to search?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Seeing used LS2 C6's going for mid/low $20s now is a hell of a deal. I still remember buying a brand new '05 C6 for $45K. That same car in the $20s is a screaming bargain for how nice the cars are and how they perform. Low 12s stock is plenty of fun to start with.

I really liked our GTO, and it definitely got attention with its brazen orange paint and Holden nosejob. The C6 interior is a little nicer, but not by much. Handling on the GTO was very nice (better than an f-body) but doesn't come close to a Corvette. Trunk space in the C6 is larger than the GTO, lol.

If you need 4 seats, keep the GTO. If you want a more nimble car with killer gizmos and electronic stuff, the C6 is a car for you.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

how are they for out of the box? Like the GTO has an aftermarket shifter, suspension etc etc etc

Will I be unhappy with anything?

How strong does it pull, compared to my procharged ls1?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well there is just something about Boost and the torque. If your looking for that you won't get it from a stock LS2. An LS3 will be your best bet and take mods well. I'd say a exhaust, intake and tuned C6 will take down a procharged '04 GTO. idk what mods and power was in the GTO though so i can't say. I sold my fbody for my Vette and never looked back.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
well there is just something about Boost and the torque. If your looking for that you won't get it from a stock LS2. An LS3 will be your best bet and take mods well. I'd say a exhaust, intake and tuned C6 will take down a procharged '04 GTO. idk what mods and power was in the GTO though so i can't say. I sold my fbody for my Vette and never looked back.
Big LPE G2 sleeper cam
Procharger DS1SC
exhaust etc etc etc

540whp

What about the fact that Pontiac looks like it's getting cut from GM? Plus the short production run? etc?

I'm just trying to see both sides since I've never driven a C6. 2009 is the first year for the LS3, correct? or was 2008?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

i believe it was '07 . There was only 2 production years of the LS2 although i'm not 100% on that.Actually now that i think of it it may have been '08. I really don't think Pontiac will get cut and also who cares if it does they will still have to make parts and such for the car so that will not change. I do love the GTO's and would buy one if the price was right and i was actually looking for that type of car. They are nice but they are no Vette. The Vette is more sport, less fluff but the GTO is a great riding car and handles decent for a car of it's size. You really can't judge until you go drive the C6.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
I'm just trying to see both sides since I've never driven a C6. 2009 is the first year for the LS3, correct? or was 2008?
2008 was the debut of the LS3.

IMO, you have a low mileage wonderful car that's fast and handles well. Unless you are road racing it and getting beat by vettes or 911s, keep it. Enjoy the GTO. Buy a vette when you are truly bored with the GTO. Otherwise you are wasting a lot of money for not much gain. If you want to be noticed, get some sweet rims for the GTO.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I found a dealership that has a used C6Z, checking on the pricing.
The 'base' has the LS3, but the Z has the LS7

But since i've never run the GTO at the track, or driven a C6...I think my heavy GTO might pull on the C6?

But having that pull and torque from boost is very addicting....
Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

you sound very attached to the GTO. I'd say keep it until you are bored with it or truely want something new. It's not worth the change if there is that much doubt in your mind. The C6 Z is a TOTALLY different animal then the standard C6 especially over the earlier C6's.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not attached to the GTO, I haven't had it long enough.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, and see what i hear back

Quick Reply: GTO or C6 - Both owners input needed