Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

getting a C5! need tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a C5! need tips

hi guys. my ls1 trans am was totaled last week. im going to be given $10,900 for it. and i plan on getting a c5. i can add $1-2k extra but dont really wanna have to. im 25 years old. i havent done a whole lot of research for the c5's yet. so if you guys can let me know what to look out for or useful websites or anything. like where to buy one and where to look etc. i'd appreciate it. thanks guys.
im in So-Cal
Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

ls1tech classifieds even if you have to go to a different state most of these cars are worth it.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 AM

thanks for the quick response!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Be patient and try and find a 99 or later. Check out corvetteforum.com as well they have a nice classified section.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dixonk
Be patient and try and find a 99 or later. Check out corvetteforum.com as well they have a nice classified section.
I agree on both counts.
There are some higher mileage ''97s/'98s out there for real good prices but it is worth a little bit extra for a lower miles '99.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dixonk
x2. See you took my advice in the other thread.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 AM

great! thanks so far guys!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you find the right '97-'98 don't be affraid of it. I've got 85k miles on mine and the only thing i've had to fix on mine was the multi-function switch for the headlights. They are gonna be in your lower price range for sure. a '99 is gonna have your options such as HUD but even that can be PUT into the earlier ones. i've added HUD to my '98~Cole~
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look for warranty work on the "column lock" and check the ground points under the hood for corrosion. 99+ is the way to go as well
Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
if you find the right '97-'98 don't be affraid of it. I've got 85k miles on mine and the only thing i've had to fix on mine was the multi-function switch for the headlights. They are gonna be in your lower price range for sure. a '99 is gonna have your options such as HUD but even that can be PUT into the earlier ones. i've added HUD to my '98~Cole~
The reason I suggested a 99 or later was mainly for the newer style PCM and the 5 pin MAF rather than the sensor in the air inlet on the earlier models.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your not getting into a good 99+ C5 for 10,500+++ without throwing in a few thousand more before tax tag and title.

Ryan
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ VERY true. i understand the newer PCM's are easier to tune but the earlier ones i've talked with experienced tuners and they say they really aren't any worse. maybe it's a personal preference. If i didn't get the deal i did on mine i would have looked for newer. i DO know the earlier ones are more touchy. Doug Rippie did my tune and said it wasn't happy one way or the other and that it kept giving him attitude
Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't be afraid of any year C5. Sure, there will be options you may not get.. but you'll be getting a great car that fits your budget. There are NO "bad" years to stay away from. No matter what year you end up with, you'll still want the clb mentioned above and (if manual trans) the skip shift eliminator (nuisance). There's tons of "virgins" for sale on CF. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red97Z
Look for warranty work on the "column lock" and check the ground points under the hood for corrosion. 99+ is the way to go as well
To further elaborate on this, do not get one where the stealer has performed this recall. You want a virgin one you can install a clb on.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

yes do a bypass on it. They are rediculous to have the dealer do. I did mine before it could even give me an issue
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Todd157k
There's tons of "virgins" for sale on CF. Good luck.
CF? whats a CF?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM

look what i found -> http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...6&rdpage=thumb guy said he'll sell it to me for $12,500
its 396 miles from where i live. its an arizona car since birth. he's the third owner. and he also mentioned that the previous owners were wealthy. and for services since birth that car continues to visit that very same chevy dealership where it was first bought from. he says car was never modified. just k&n filter. he says car was never in an accident. and he says its great. and that hes never had to have any work done. no unusual noises he said when i asked if it had any. but he didnt sound toooo confident about that. maybe its just me. but he says i'll be happy with it. i wish i could carfax it. please tell me what you think. if you guys would like to call him just to interrogate more as a "potential customer" and see if you can dig up anything. i would really appreciate it. cause im not rich. and i cant afford to blow $12.5k on b.s. so i'd owe ya one if you can help out. im new in to the vette world straight out of the f-body world. so. and maybe if we have somebody on here that lives close by to the car maybe you can check it out for me. if its a hassle i can offer to pay you for the service. thanks. anyhow he said he wants the car sold by saturday or hes going to just keep it. thanks tech

Last edited by transamsrock; 01-12-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Please don't take me wrong...but if your fretting over spending 13g's on a vette. You might want stick with the f-body stuff. Unless your very handy with the wrenches & a hell of a bargain hunter you'll be in for a major dissapointment. Just sayin!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kcmags
Please don't take me wrong...but if your fretting over spending 13g's on a vette. You might want stick with the f-body stuff. Unless your very handy with the wrenches & a hell of a bargain hunter you'll be in for a major dissapointment. Just sayin!!!
i'm not fretting, bro. i just don't want to spend $12.5k on bullshit. like i said ^
and i think a lot of guys here would be able to see more bs than i can. that of course is me assuming more people here have more experience than i do. which is pretty safe to say. and i dont plan on modding at all. i never did for my t/a. i dont hate it. i'm actually impressed by a lot of it. but im just not into it. my guitars steal my time.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transamsrock
i'm not fretting, bro. i just don't want to spend $12.5k on bullshit. like i said ^
and i think a lot of guys here would be able to see more bs than i can. that of course is me assuming more people here have more experience than i do. which is pretty safe to say. and i dont plan on modding at all. i never did for my t/a. i dont hate it. i'm actually impressed by a lot of it. but im just not into it. my guitars steal my time.
Man, I can tell you are really wanting to get into that c5,but it might be a better idea to not throw all the money you get and more into that c5 right now. You might want to think about a low mileage WS6, then spend the rest of the money on whatever you choose, insurance, maintenance, guitar, etc...
PS I've posted something similar to ^this in everyone of the threads you've started... I'm just trying to help give you the other side of things.

Quick Reply: getting a C5! need tips