Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Goodyear runflats to Nitto DRs (rear) Michelin PS2 (front)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodyear runflats to Nitto DRs (rear) Michelin PS2 (front)

Holy **** what a MF'ing difference !!! I drove my 517.3 rwhp 513.8 rwtq ls2 based 402 from Wiley, TX (LG Motorsports) to Metro Detroit on the OEM goodyear runflats and all she did was spin 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. No fun trying to take off from a stop but they did perform flawless on the expressway. RUN FLAT capability was a real bonus in the event I had an issue on the trip home, I would be able to drive to a service center vs waiting for a tow truck.

Well heres what I did, I swapped the runflats for some Nitto drags in the back 305 35r18 and Michelin PS2 265r17 up front. These tires are mounted on chrome c5zo6 wheels ( so here we go again, with the is it a zo6? ) and the car looks 100% better in my opinion. I drive the car out into the street and give her some gas, nothing but spin. Duh, lets warm them up first. By the time I get to my buddies the tires are warm. I check the PSI and the DRs are 32 warm, so I take them down to 29 psi and leave the Michelins up front at 32 psi. I go back on to the street and try to get 1st to hook up, won't hold for ****. I try again but with less throttle and she's holding, so I ease to near WOT and nail second then stand on it. NO SPIN in second !!! I was so F**king happy I almost forgot to shift into 3rd. TRACTION makes a car feel so much quicker/faster, its absolutely amazing. So I catch a light and the tires are very warm now and this is new asphalt. I ride out 1st a bit then get on it and she only spins a little. I hit second and the car just leaps forward NO SPIN. I bang 3rd gear and before you know it I am doing 110 mph !! If I can drive like this at the track I should post some very nice numbers !!!!

Anyways, thanks for reading and please post up your wheel/tire combination.

Great job to the guys at LG Motorsports. You guys really built a monster here. Who says you need a huge cam and monster heads to make power ? Afr 205s 58cc and G6X3 cam. Very mild h/c setup for a 402 don't you think? All I can say is show me someone else making nearly 514 rwtq with a 402 similar to mine. LG Motorsports, "where money buys speed !!!"

** Re-posted here to get some responses, I guess no one is interested in the tire section **

Please post what DR you are running and how well you launch with it, especially if your driving an m6 car. What psi are you running just for driving around and what do you suggest at the track ??
Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any input from M6 stroker owners on tires used and launch technique ?!?!? Need a little advice on launching.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the Nitto drag radials brand new? There is a break in procedure for them. If you break them in correctly, they will hook even better. When I first drove mine when they were brand spanking new, they were just ok. After 3 heat cycles they stuck more to the ground.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
All I can say is show me someone else making nearly 514 rwtq with a 402 similar to mine. LG Motorsports, "where money buys speed !!!"

Hello Doug,

I'll show you one. My Vengeance Racing 402 made 530 RWHP and 517 RWTQ through 3.73 gears. If I would have been running 3.42's, it would have laid down more on the dyno. I have Trick Flow 215 CNC heads, which shouldn't make as much TQ as your AFR 205's. Our cams are about the same. I DON'T have a 95mm TB, just a LS2. I don't know what your tune is, but mine is not aggressive at all and Vengeance does not "cheat" the dyno numbers!

As for the other part of the thread, for now I'm running the stock Good Year F1's on the stock Z16 wheels. Once my 360 Forged wheels arrive, I'll be running Nitto Invo's 305/30-19 rear and 275/30-19 fronts. For the track, MT 315/30-18.

Take care!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry bro, you are disqualified LOL, 215 cc heads is the reason. I mean another 205 cc head build. Sorry

I know all about your setup bro. Very good job they did on it. I'd be very happy if I was you also.

To bad we weren't closer, we'd have to meet up. Your gearing would give you one hell of an advantage though, but it would be fun. 50-150 would be my choice for a run.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

told you those runflats suck *****. They don't call them runcraps for nothing. LOL!

Glad that you can at least enjoy your new power!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scramblerman
told you those runflats suck *****. They don't call them runcraps for nothing. LOL!

Glad that you can at least enjoy your new power!!!
I never doubted you bro. Driving on the runflats was like riding a bicycle, lots of peddaling. Well the nitto drs still blow off 1st if I over throttle, but if I don't she rockets toward the limiter and a quick shift to 2nd keeps her moving fwd, but no more wheel spin makes her feel crazy fast.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

555R's?

I have those on my WS6

Looking for something for my new C6...thinking about the Invo's
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

On a Vette, I would not recommend straight drag radials for the street. The sidewalls are too soft. 555R-IIs at the very least or Nitto Invo or NT-05s if you're hell bent on the Nitto brand.

I started with 555R on my Trans Am that was road-course modified, and I damn near put it in a ditch one time until I switched to 555R-IIs all around. Same R compound with stiffer sidewalls.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya bro on the DR's for the street all the time. I gotta say if you are pushing it at all I don't feel safe going through the curves of the Xway but as long as I am just casually driving 70 ish and only get on it in a straight away they are perfect. I've used them on a 2 hr drive, and when I got there had some fun showing off the car to friends, then turned around and drove home without any issue. I think the real issue witd drs on the street is some people don't keep the inflation up enough due to trying to get every bit of bite from the tire. Drags need to be inflated like performance tires for use on the street and shouldn't be lowered unless in use at the track, jmo.

BTW I have Michelin ps2 295r18's if I want to go and do some high speed running
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Really sucks that just as I get my better tires/rims on the car to have fun, MOTHER NATURE has to dump snow all over my area. Well at least its melting, and by the end of the week should have some 40+ temps. Still sucks, I'd like to be practicing on the street for the track.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

I ditched the run flats on mine in favor of 555R II's and love them so far. Have 305/35 18's on my Camaro and Vette
Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats nice to know. I'll be looking into something else down the road when my Michelins and Nittos are done. I heard M&H makes a nasty sticky DR. And VSeries Tech suggested some wicked street tires, I'll have to ask him what they were again. Very expensive is what I remember but they held his TT 800 rwhp monster !!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Good choice for tires. I ran my Vette for 8 years with only Drag radials and no problems. I had a simular set up with less power in my car before blower, 490 and 470 rwtq and drag radials were the only safe way to go. Ussually no traction in first from a 20 roll but from a dead it was a tad easier. Launch @ 1500 keep throttle very light then ease into it.
Mine had 3,90's though. A little tougher to keep traction in first than 3.42's.
On a side note my New Z is now making 482 and 452. It has no traction in first on the runcraps sometimes in second. I will be upgrading to a 19" drag radial.
Where do you live, I went to LG last year to get our 08 tuned.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADZOH6
Hello Doug,

I'll show you one. My Vengeance Racing 402 made 530 RWHP and 517 RWTQ through 3.73 gears. If I would have been running 3.42's, it would have laid down more on the dyno. I have Trick Flow 215 CNC heads, which shouldn't make as much TQ as your AFR 205's. Our cams are about the same. I DON'T have a 95mm TB, just a LS2. I don't know what your tune is, but mine is not aggressive at all and Vengeance does not "cheat" the dyno numbers!

As for the other part of the thread, for now I'm running the stock Good Year F1's on the stock Z16 wheels. Once my 360 Forged wheels arrive, I'll be running Nitto Invo's 305/30-19 rear and 275/30-19 fronts. For the track, MT 315/30-18.

Take care!
You need my TPIS throttlebody I have for sale.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear Doug. I just put on some Toyo T1-R's up front (265/40ZR-17's) and plan on going with 555R's for the rear in that same size (305/35ZR-18's). I blow the original Goodyear F1 SC's off on the launch, 1-2, and 2-3 at the track and that's with stock power levels...should be pushing closer to 450 after my H/C swap so it would be like driving in the rain all the time if I didn't change them out!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya on the "like driving in the rain", but I would say in my situation the RF's felt like driving on ice, at least until the temp came up. Cold RF's suck !
Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've been thinking about getting 555R's but now i'm thinking of just getting some high performance radials instead of DR's. I am SICK of the runflats...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I never doubted you bro. Driving on the runflats was like riding a bicycle, lots of peddaling. Well the nitto drs still blow off 1st if I over throttle, but if I don't she rockets toward the limiter and a quick shift to 2nd keeps her moving fwd, but no more wheel spin makes her feel crazy fast.
I know doug, just was messing with you. LOL!
Time for some videos tho.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I need a passenger. Everyone seems to be afraid to go for a ride and hold a camera. My reputation for liking to go fast must precede me. LOL. Anyways the weather is trying to be cooperative. Sunny and high of 52 today. So next month I see a lot more potential for getting some videos. I will be heading to Best Buy to get a new memory card. My old 2 mb crashed on me and I lost a ton of pics, and a couple of vids. Oh well, going to have to make a couple more.

I am most excited at the potential of hitting the track. Just been so damn busy.

Quick Reply: Goodyear runflats to Nitto DRs (rear) Michelin PS2 (front)