Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7
View Poll Results: Which one: 5xx rwhp Turbo Hawk or Cammed/bolt-on c5??
Turbo Firehawk
35.09%
Cammed C5
64.91%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Either the Firehawk or a C5. which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Either the Firehawk or a C5. which one?

I'm in a debate to either do one of two things, both will cost pretty much the same in my expenses. Just trying to determine which one I desire more...

1) Keep my black 99 Firehawk. Has 147k on the odometer. Less than 7k on built 347. My goal was/is to build a custom turbo kit with FMIC to retain the a/c and set the boost to where I'm making in mid 5xx rwhp/ 5xx rwtq.

2) Buy a c5 with a 6 speed. My price range would be around a 1998-2000 model with around 80k-120k miles. Depending on how much I spend for one, I may have enough cash left to put some headers & x pipe on it, but my common goal would be to do a cam swap (along with ported oil pump, pushrods, chain, springs, retainers), LS6 intake, and full exhaust. Once tuned my goal would be anything above 385rwhp.

Things to consider...
-I don't really need a back seat that much
-I love the looks of the FRC better, but I would probably go targa top
-I hear people breaking something in the driveline on a c5, like an output shaft or something??
-The FMIC & sound of the turbo on the Hawk is almost as good as sex. But a loud c5 would be kinda sweet too.
-SLP G8 Firehawk

Last edited by candlelit; 04-10-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say corvette all the way.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Vette.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously I'm biased towards the hawk, but IMO C5< Hawk < C6.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I say corvette all the way.
I'm with you Doug.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been many threads on this. A fbody holds nothing to a vette even with a turbo. There are so many other things about the vette that make it so much better than a fbody.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Vette...............
Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Teching In

You could get a stock C5Z and pretty much have the rear wheel hp you are looking for. Right now, the prices will probably never be better.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

See I beg to differ with most here I guess. I'd say a turbo'd fbody with the live rear axle is great for the strip. I love vettes but have always been partial to fbody cars. Love how they look and where I am I see less of them than vettes since they are out of production. The fact it's a hawk makes it a little more exculsive (all be it not exactly rare but still fewer on the road than c5's up here). Either way though, you'll be happy with either one of those setups. A cammed c5 is nothing to sniff at, I'm just a die hard fbody guy lol.

Last edited by oddwraith; 04-11-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: speeeling
Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

good feedback thus far everyone. thanks.

let's keep em' coming!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1290
There have been many threads on this. A fbody holds nothing to a vette even with a turbo. There are so many other things about the vette that make it so much better than a fbody.
I know 400rwhp f-body vs. a stock Vette - I'd chose the Vette hands down. but since it'd be a nearly full built turbo'd Hawk is the reason I thought it'd be better to hear your all opinions on that. I know it'd look/sound extremely mean & be quite fast but I do understand all the other qualities the Vette has over the f-body. I've actually never rode/drove a LS1 vette..

Originally Posted by VeroWing
You could get a stock C5Z and pretty much have the rear wheel hp you are looking for. Right now, the prices will probably never be better.
though they may be lower priced than ever, don't think I want to pay the extra for one. maybe another day down the road. perhaps I should put my 347 in a Vette and one day turbo it lol
Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

well for everyone who was curious what I would do... I decided I'm going to move on from the f-bodies. thanks for everyone's input! guess eventually I'm going to be joining you guys with the Corvette fever.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by candlelit
well for everyone who was curious what I would do... I decided I'm going to move on from the f-bodies. thanks for everyone's input! guess eventually I'm going to be joining you guys with the Corvette fever.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo

*breath

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Well I'm sure you'll love it dude. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your turbo fbody woulda been faster plus its a freaking FIREHAWK!!!! oh well your choice hf gl
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Definitely the Vette. I loved my '99 Trans Am, but one drive in my mother-in-law's 2001 C5 coupe, and it ruined the F-body experience for me. I'm on my third Vette now since the Trans Am and haven't regretted it one bit. It is a totally different car, one that is much more fun on the streets. It's a sports car, not a muscle car.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CySevans
Definitely the Vette. I loved my '99 Trans Am, but one drive in my mother-in-law's 2001 C5 coupe, and it ruined the F-body experience for me. I'm on my third Vette now since the Trans Am and haven't regretted it one bit. It is a totally different car, one that is much more fun on the streets. It's a sports car, not a muscle car.
Exactly, "totally different" ie: not comparable. More fun on the street? Depends who you ask. Ask the guy who just lost to a ricer because he couldn't hook for **** off the launch. Ask how much fun he had lol. Some of us want muscle cars that we don't mind beating on. Most vette owners I know are over 40 and don't want to hurt their baby. I'm sure it rides nicer and is fun to drive, but I like to be able to pick up a few buddies, go get my groceries, AND smoke the tires at will. Or have room to have "fun" with my gal in the back seat. Back seats aren't ALWAYS boring lol. But yeah to each their own. I love vettes too, but I'm a die hard fbody guy. I honestly see too many mustangs and vettes on the streets up here. Fbodies seem more rare.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha. as soon as I say I'm moving on from it, you guys let me have it! lol. anyways. as far as "being faster," well, kinda true if I had it set up to where I could get traction... but eventually I could do the same thing with the Vette.

As far as the common car on the road up here... there USED to be almost as many vettes as there were f-bodies. but there isn't but like two modded vettes up here in a 50,000 population town and there is a growing number of f-bodies. So that kinda helped influence my decision. Not many college kids can afford a vette, but they can afford a $7000-$10000 fbody especially when there are tons of Gaystangs around.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Exactly, "totally different" ie: not comparable. More fun on the street? Depends who you ask. Ask the guy who just lost to a ricer because he couldn't hook for **** off the launch. Ask how much fun he had lol. Some of us want muscle cars that we don't mind beating on. Most vette owners I know are over 40 and don't want to hurt their baby. I'm sure it rides nicer and is fun to drive, but I like to be able to pick up a few buddies, go get my groceries, AND smoke the tires at will. Or have room to have "fun" with my gal in the back seat. Back seats aren't ALWAYS boring lol. But yeah to each their own. I love vettes too, but I'm a die hard fbody guy. I honestly see too many mustangs and vettes on the streets up here. Fbodies seem more rare.
I knew this was coming. I had my '99 Trans Am for over 4 years. It was never as much fun as any of my Vettes (and I had it at the drag strip and AutoX several times), and all three of the Vettes would not only hand most of the ricers their asses, but also many F-bodies (all stock F-bodies were toast). This latest Vette could even take down blown or sprayed F-bodies depending. You'll need close to 550 at the wheels with an F-body to take this C6Z down from a roll. Soon, it will take you 600.

But, you're right, it all depends on what you consider "fun". Fun to me is hitting the twisties at 100+ MPH. Try that with your F-body.

Oh, and there is more trunk space in this C6Z than my Trans Am had in it. Don't let the 2-seater fool you. It's a very efficient grocery getter. And too many passengers increase race weight. That's why I have a daily driver extended cab Silverado.

Last edited by CySevans; 04-16-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CySevans
I knew this was coming. I had my '99 Trans Am for over 4 years. It was never as much fun as any of my Vettes (and I had it at the drag strip and AutoX several times), and all three of the Vettes would not only hand most of the ricers their asses, but also many F-bodies (all stock F-bodies were toast). This latest Vette could even take down blown or sprayed F-bodies depending. You'll need close to 550 at the wheels with an F-body to take this C6Z down from a roll. Soon, it will take you 600.

But, you're right, it all depends on what you consider "fun". Fun to me is hitting the twisties at 100+ MPH. Try that with your F-body.

Oh, and there is more trunk space in this C6Z than my Trans Am had in it. Don't let the 2-seater fool you. It's a very efficient grocery getter. And too many passengers increase race weight. That's why I have a daily driver extended cab Silverado.

Honestly dude I can see owning one some day. I have a great respect for Corvettes. I didn't know you had a c6z but yeah I'd be a fool to say I woudn't rather have that But I'm just saying that since I only have one parking spot I can't have my passenger vehicle and my funmobile as two separate vehicles. The T/A gives me a lot for what I had to put into it and I just think a turbo'd bird would be badass. Your state must be buying up all the fbody cars if there are more and more on the street there. Since they are out of production. There can only be fewer and fewer as they get wrote off or stripped or stored. Now if I had the money for a c6z, I'd want one for sure.

As for race weight, I don't really race much and only do when I'm alone. I also don't car for "twisties" at 100mph really either lol. Unless I'm on a closed circuit. So in the end-yeah...fbody...blah blah blah.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in a debate to either do one of two things, both will cost pretty much the same in my expenses. Just trying to determine which one I desire more...

1) Keep my black 99 Firehawk. Has 147k on the odometer. Less than 7k on built 347. My goal was/is to build a custom turbo kit with FMIC to retain the a/c and set the boost to where I'm making in mid 5xx rwhp/ 5xx rwtq.

2) Buy a c5 with a 6 speed. My price range would be around a 1998-2000 model with around 80k-120k miles. Depending on how much I spend for one, I may have enough cash left to put some headers & x pipe on it, but my common goal would be to do a cam swap (along with ported oil pump, pushrods, chain, springs, retainers), LS6 intake, and full exhaust. Once tuned my goal would be anything above 385rwhp.

Things to consider...
-I don't really need a back seat that much
-I love the looks of the FRC better, but I would probably go targa top
-I hear people breaking something in the driveline on a c5, like an output shaft or something??
-The FMIC & sound of the turbo on the Hawk is almost as good as sex. But a loud c5 would be kinda sweet too.
-SLP G8 Firehawk

FRC C5 dumdumdum. cheaper to insure then on the Z.

Fbody rear ends break too.

Quick Reply: Either the Firehawk or a C5. which one?