Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Suspension first guys. JMHO !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I bet if you posted in the auto cross and road racing section they would all agree. A factory z06 is awesome out of the box for R/R. I upgraded to 04 shocks and T1 sways and the difference is amazing. I will do coil overs if I keep the car, and dont upgrade to a c6z
I hear what you are saying but I'm making quite a bit more power then stock. I was causing the rear suspension a lot of grief trying to handle all that power. All the complaints I had with the stock suspension disappeared after driving the car with the Pfadt coilovers and sways. The bushings were 9 1/2 years old and were showing a lot of fatigue. The new poly bushings made quite a noticeable improvement. Unbelievable how the car just handles any curve(s) you throw at it, no matter how fast I am running.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
The weak link in the Corvette Z06 is BRAKES !!!

For track use....road courses, you will need to change:

1. Brake fluid and add stainless steel brake lines

2. Brake pads

3. Rotors

4. Cooling ducks

Next step is a modified "track/street alignment" and corner balancing.

You will need to add a harness bar and five or six point belts.

Also... now cooling will become an issue. A combo heavy duty radiator with oil cooler (Ron Davis) works fine.

Then, after many weekends (maybe a year or so doing "D E Events") at the track you will need new wheels and Dot "R" tires.

That's the "learning curve" for moving up in run groups.

Only then... should you consider major suspension modifications.

Lots of info at both www.corvetteform.com in the Autocross and racing section. Also check out www.sccaforums.com in the T1-T2-T3 section.

Power is not the issue... even with the C5 Z06, driver experience and track set-up provides the best results. These cars hold up well on the track keeping engines "stock". Modifications will reduce the engine's reliability substantially, as the horsepower goes up... reliability goes down.

I've instructed for many years and most of us instructors follow those steps.

Having owned and tracked an 01 and 04 Z06, as well as my current 07 Z06, this has proven to be the "best route".

Very nice add to my thread, thanks for the good info.

I forgot to mention that in 2006 I added Wilwood SL-6 front calipers, steel brake lines, c5 zo6 rear brake DUCTS, and slotted front rotors. On the cooling side, there is an LG SuperCool radiator with a built in oil cooler. My car with the right tires would love AutoX. I'd like to try it just to see how the EWP holds up. Got a back up waiting for the day she quits. Performed flawless so far, knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Suspension first guys. JMHO !!